Yep.....Live in Santa Cruz!!!
post #3 of 10 Old 02-08-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

I moved to Wats 6 months ago!

post #4 of 10 Old 02-15-2015, 01:17 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I was stationed in Monterey on Fort Ord mid 80's,used to cruise Salinas,Monterey,Carmel,Big Sur,Seaside occasionally up to San Jose....those were the days.

US Army Proudly Served
Those who Run,will only Die,Tired!
Indy Southside Sportbike Riders Association
2006 Lime Green wheel barrow,with stuff on it!
post #5 of 10 Old 02-15-2015, 10:17 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

@ scout- where did you move from? Not to many white and black 4th gen zx10rs in this area so chances are if you see one rolling around its probably me. Usually out on the weekends with a couple local riding buddies hitting up some of the well known Central Cali riding roads.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-15-2015, 10:24 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockt View Post
I was stationed in Monterey on Fort Ord mid 80's,used to cruise Salinas,Monterey,Carmel,Big Sur,Seaside occasionally up to San Jose....those were the days.
Oh yeah the good ol' Fort Ord. Nowadays just a shut down piece of government land but your right on being a awesome place to ride. Carmel Valley Rd., Hwy 25, Coalinga are some of my favorite routes......especially Coalinga. One of the fastest straights and long sweepers routes that Ive done. Smile from ear to ear after I was done! Plus dont forget that Laguna Seca is right around the corner.....phenomenal track to do some track days on. Too bad you moved away.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-16-2015, 06:23 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Loved my days on the Fort,i would ride the back roads on the Fort out the back gate and it would put you right across the road from Laguna Seca,Watsonville and the mall in Salinas were the big cruising strips on the weekends for bikes and cars...those were the days.

US Army Proudly Served
Those who Run,will only Die,Tired!
Indy Southside Sportbike Riders Association
2006 Lime Green wheel barrow,with stuff on it!
post #8 of 10 Old 02-16-2015, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe.2828 View Post
@ scout- where did you move from? Not to many white and black 4th gen zx10rs in this area so chances are if you see one rolling around its probably me. Usually out on the weekends with a couple local riding buddies hitting up some of the well known Central Cali riding roads.
I have the same color g4, the '13. Got the black, too, but the '11. Blew out a bearing on it. I do the same loop I've done for years here that I did from Belmont, only 50 miles longer for a total 200 miles, about 5 days a week, weather permitting, sometimes everyday of the week.

So go thru tires.

This is my loop: wats start; 1;17 to 880;237;calaveras;84;mines;hamilton;quimby;101;san juan to home

4 hours time unless traffic light. yesterday and today were in close to float zone. 17 kinda jams me up with traffic but cagers are pretty good. Been doing this loops since last Sept, which is when I got this bike delivered. I did not want the white but only thing the dealer had without abs so took and just learned to like it. Wasn't hard at all. lol
post #9 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 12:03 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

You don't like the black/white scheme Kawi did in '13 huh? I thought it was a good new look for the 4th gens. The all black 4th gens are pretty sick looking to but never been a huge fan of the Kawi green or the red/black 4th gens.

Came from Belmont huh? Ive been up there a few times and its not a bad place at all. How you liking Watsonville? lol. Bet theres a culture shock for ya. lol.

Thats quite a loop. Just did Quimby. Mt Hamilton and Mines with a quick stop at the Junction this last weekend. Del Puerto is cool when its clean. Have a hard time tank slapping on the Hwys like 1, 880, 101 or any other Hwy. There are some ways to avoid a lot of those Hwys thank god. You sound more patient than myself because cagers on 17 drive me crazy. You commute to work along that route? 5 days doing that route without work included on it would be hard to imagine.

I don't know if you have heard of some of these roads yet but if you haven't you should definitely look them up. Maybe not necessarily for a commute ride but when you are doing a weekend ride.

Old San Jose Rd. (my backyard twisty) to Old Santa Cruz Hwy, Blacks Rd., Skyline, 4 corners for a quick stretch, Alices, down 84 through La Honda, out to Hwy 1 (good little stretch for opening up the throttle). There is a few alternate options for routes at various places i just mentioned but can't remember the road names right now.

I also do a decent amount of track days because the 4th gen ZX10r is a naturally born track monster. One of which i hope to tame in at least a tiny way. lol. Go to Thunderhill, Sonoma Raceway this coming Sunday 2/22/15, Laguna Seca (use stock can to beat noise restrictions) and hopefully this season can get down to Buttonwillow. Don't know if you have ever thought about track days but its a whole different and exciting experience.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 09:58 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
I have the same color g4, the '13. Got the black, too, but the '11. Blew out a bearing on it. I do the same loop I've done for years here that I did from Belmont, only 50 miles longer for a total 200 miles, about 5 days a week, weather permitting, sometimes everyday of the week.

So go thru tires.

This is my loop: wats start; 1;17 to 880;237;calaveras;84;mines;hamilton;quimby;101;san juan to home

4 hours time unless traffic light. yesterday and today were in close to float zone. 17 kinda jams me up with traffic but cagers are pretty good. Been doing this loops since last Sept, which is when I got this bike delivered. I did not want the white but only thing the dealer had without abs so took and just learned to like it. Wasn't hard at all. lol
Nothing gets your skills up like lots of seat time. That is a great loop, a real good mix of everything and very challenging. Especially the traffic, lane-splitting, learning to be patient.

My loop is very similar, 220-250 miles depending on which way I go. Also about 4-5 times a week but the motorcycle is my office now. Retired.

Seat time on challenging rides is the key. 32 years, I still love it. Good on you scout, maybe you can get up to Jack London State Park someday for a nice visit...

This is his philosophy of life:

I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out
in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom
of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.

It works for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.