Laguna Seca Track Day on Christmas Eve - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 Old 05-21-2015, 10:37 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
While most people are out doing their last minute Christmas shopping and fighting for parking spots when not sitting in bumper to bumper traffic congestion I will be circulating a race track with a bunch of like minded individuals and friends that know what is really important in life

ROGUE RACING TRACKDAY

Traffic in that area is usually heinous even on non-holidays, LOL! But a great track, I did two days there some years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 05-21-2015, 10:39 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemont83 View Post
Hmmm..
I wonder if an Akrapovic with link pipe and the sound killer will pass?
Unlikely. They will eject you, no kidding. They take that stuff very seriously. Very bad to be disappointed when the sound Nazis point you out.

There are some guys who seem to be knowledgeable about what setup will and will not pass, Pridmore has a guy that advises on that.
post #13 of 26 Old 05-21-2015, 10:47 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
My wife will be right there with me. She's a very proficient rider with a few race trophies under her belt and just riding a "loop" on public roads is a waste of her time and way beneath her ability especially on a liter bike

That's pretty funny. I never suggest anyone is missing out if they don't do this or that type of riding, but of course there are those folks who think that the way they enjoy things is the only way to do it, and all others are misguided. It's like a religion.

I've noticed the moment anyone else starts to do it the same way, though, some of those folks want to pull up the ladder and close the gate. Unless someone is racing at the top level, we are all in the same boat, just enthusiasts.

I sure as hell have done my share of track riding, racing, instructing, and so on but for me street riding was always a great passion and still is. Seeing new places, people, getting out into the mountains away from everything where the air is clear, and being completely self-reliant is what my loops are all about.

Basically any kind of riding suits me right down to the ground: dirt, street, track, touring, adventure riding; if it is on two wheels, I'm for it.

'Course I know you were just fooling about! Have an awesome day out there and post images. We wanna see some shots of yer wife wheelying through the Corkscrew and taking the "Rossi" cutoff!!!

post #14 of 26 Old 05-21-2015, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fang View Post
That's pretty funny. I never suggest anyone is missing out if they don't do this or that type of riding, but of course there are those folks who think that the way they enjoy things is the only way to do it, and all others are misguided. It's like a religion.

I've noticed the moment anyone else starts to do it the same way, though, some of those folks want to pull up the ladder and close the gate. Unless someone is racing at the top level, we are all in the same boat, just enthusiasts.

I sure as hell have done my share of track riding, racing, instructing, and so on but for me street riding was always a great passion and still is. Seeing new places, people, getting out into the mountains away from everything where the air is clear, and being completely self-reliant is what my loops are all about.

Basically any kind of riding suits me right down to the ground: dirt, street, track, touring, adventure riding; if it is on two wheels, I'm for it.

'Course I know you were just fooling about! Have an awesome day out there and post images. We wanna see some shots of yer wife wheelying through the Corkscrew and taking the "Rossi" cutoff!!!

Granted not everyone wants to go fast and push the limits of what they can do on sportbike, but for those that do there is only one place to do that and it is on the racetrack.

I would never begrudge anyone's right to ride on public roads. I still do it occasionally, but generally it is only for commuting purposes. Personally I think street riding is dangerous and boring. Between other vehicles on the road, distracted soccer moms in minivans talking on their phones, vehicles leaking fluids, cops, manhole covers, leaves and wildlife there is a lot to go wrong on 2 wheels and it does every single day. If you turn on the radio right now to any station that gives traffic reports there will be a motorcycle accident in that broadcast and quite frankly there aren't really any fender benders on a bike as most crashes end up pretty severe to the rider.

If you want to watch the scenery you can do it with a lot less hassle and focus by riding in a vehicle. Additionally you cannot even remotely use the bike to its potential on a street ride and people that claim they do are just deluding themselves into thinking that they have reached the bikes limits when it is really their own ability that is hampering them. Street riding is all about risk management and the fastest rider on a street ride is many times just the guy willing to risk the most whether it is passing on double yellow lines or simply taking a chance that there is no cop waiting down the road as you open it up and push into triple digits etc. The fastest guy on a racetrack is the most proficient rider.

For many years of my life, more than a decade, I didn't even own a car or truck and I rode motorcycles every single day to work or school in rain, snow or shine. I stopped counting street miles at 300,000 and I thought I was a damn good rider... I can tell you now that Track Riding builds a skillset that street riding never will. Street riding can give you some street smarts in regards to your riding, but you will never gain those valuable skills that truly make you a proficient rider without getting out on the track to feel what the bike can really do when it is allowed to move around and drift into position with inertia instead of being cut short to stay within the lines of the road etc. Very few track riders let alone street riders have truly felt what it is like to make a bike compress the suspension under the strain of centrifugal force working against the tires grip where you have entered the turn so fast that your chest compresses into the gas tank and you realize that you are no longer in control of the bike, but just along for the ride as it drifts right to the edge of the track. Once it happens it is like a light bulb being switched on in your brain and illuminating this giant empty warehouse sized room and everything you thought you knew about riding is just sitting on a small table by the door.

As part of my classroom instruction at my track schools I tell students first thing in the morning that they are about to learn more in one day at the track than they have learned in the last 10 years of street riding. The older guys always guffaw at that, but come the end of the day most of them come up to me and reiterate that statement to affirm what I told them.
bluedevil, MrMoto73 and White Fang like this.
post #15 of 26 Old 05-21-2015, 05:42 PM
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to MrMoto73
I love that track and wish I was back there to ride it! The noise restriction thing is a bummer though. I always had to be careful not to be on it too much going past the noise meter on the ZX10. On my R6 it wasn't a problem at all. It was all stock. The intake noise was actually louder than the exhaust on that bike. lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	MF1A0498.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	324481

Click image for larger version

Name:	MF1A0181.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	324489

I DON"T HAZ ANY SNYDER PROBLEMS
post #16 of 26 Old 05-21-2015, 11:25 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Very Good Post LDH I really like your perspective

With that said your post seemed to give only 1 perspective about Street Riding you say you must have done over 300,000 street miles and never owned a Car for years well I have probably done much more than 300k and lived in places throughout the World when I only owned a Motorcycle for over a decade before I owned a Car and had to endure rain, snow, black ice etc. too.

What your posts tells me and let me know if I am wrong is you really only used your street riding for “Commuting”

What you will find on this site at least 90%(I can do a Poll to confirm) use their bike for Street and just an overall experience of the Roads on 2 Wheels, traffic avoidance, easy commuting, getting away, easy parking, Bike Run events, the image, Wheelie, the POWER, giving the Girls a RIDE , and Vacation hauls with some mix of Track of different kinds IF possible.

I am pretty sure many on this site rather see the Scenery on a Motorcycle vs a Car and know the risks or should know them…….bottom line it will have to be a Bad Arse Car(Bikes can do 0-60mph in less than 3sec.) for many to choose that over a Motorcycle on the street but even then when I lane split in traffic and you’re in your fast CAR I am miles ahead riding while you’re stuck in traffic…..Nothing Like 2 Wheels on the Street IMO

Have fun at Laguna an awesome track did a fun fun there once too at an event second to none.

Bloo
LDH and White Fang like this.

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
post #17 of 26 Old 05-22-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You are correct sir in that I only street ride now for commuting. Back in the day, however I did all manner of riding from 1300 mile weekends touring the states to illegal drag racing on Saturday night just to get up first thing Sunday morning and rip up the twisties struggling to keep up with the fast guys in the local riding groups. I initially got into track riding via racing and my learning curve went progressive. Almost immediately it changed my street riding as I not only caught up to the legendary fast guys in the group, but started to get away from them to where they could no longer keep up which was fun until you end up in jail after a 3 county multi-jurisdiction police chase that you didn't even know you were in because the cops were so far behind you.

Yes that actually happened.

I save the quick riding for the track now.

Oh & if you are doing 0-60 in 3 seconds you aren't looking at much scenery which was my original point in that regard

__________________________________________________ ________

Don't misconstrue guys, I think street riding is awesome, but it is unnecessarily risky when you put yourself an other motorists in danger not to mention your privilege to operate vehicles on public roads.

No judge has ever suspended a drivers license because you went too fast on a racetrack or even caused an accident for that matter.

Mostly I just love riding the track regardless of whether I am test riding, instructing or just having fun with my friends. You get all of the speed and adrenaline with none of the cops or cars and the ambulance is just waiting right there in case you do take a tumble through the kitty litter. In decades of riding I have seen way more fatalities from street rides than I have from being on the track. I have also personally suffered a lot more both physically and financially from my errors or lapses in judgement on public roads than I ever have on any racetrack.

At any rate I never really meant to start a street versus track thread. I just wanted to promote an event that I thought would be an excellent time & place to get some much needed holiday stress relief for those in striking distance of Laguna Seca. Not many people can claim they were riding on World Famous racetrack on Christmas Eve
post #18 of 26 Old 05-22-2015, 10:30 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
At any rate I never really meant to start a street versus track thread. I just wanted to promote an event that I thought would be an excellent time & place to get some much needed holiday stress relief for those in striking distance of Laguna Seca. Not many people can claim they were riding on World Famous racetrack on Christmas Eve
I spent a long time crafting a very well-worded diatribe about this and then deleted the post right after submitting it. Not much can be said in that regard, of course, LDH clarified his position so my contribution was unnecessary.

What LDH is saying, then, is it's assclowns who ride like idiots that create problems. Which is true no matter what you're doing. Idiotic behaviour is usually not a good plan, but there you are. Motorcycles attract a segment of idiots, just like all these wireless devices, guns, airplanes, boats, cars...probably chess is safe.

I have completely divorced myself from my old "watering hole" hangout and canyon roads. It was a little difficult at first but now I wouldn't have anything to do with that scene. I have nothing in common with those folks any longer. All of them still seem to be trying to prove who is fastest on the street. I just don't need it.

Take LDH's advice, if you have never been to the track, start now.
LDH likes this.
post #19 of 26 Old 05-22-2015, 10:33 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

What's up with the blue bold font? I can't get rid of it.
post #20 of 26 Old 05-22-2015, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fang View Post

What LDH is saying, then, is it's assclowns who ride like idiots that create problems.
HAHA Oh shit that is so exactly what I was thinking when writing that post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.