10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 Old 05-01-2018, 08:20 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz96 View Post
Thank you all so far for the great advice! This has been a very warm welcome! After reading your replies and researching the break in you all are spot on. I just put 40 miles on her and never went past 7k and would give it on/off throttle the whole time. What a pain haha but certainly worth it! I was thinking the twisties because I know the road well and its lot of hard acceleration then brake and back and forth but I will put at least a 100 miles on her in the straights.

Yes an oil change will be done before 100 miles! The quickshifter seems fairly smooth and I imagine once I start shifting normally at higher rpms it will be butter! Brakes seem super powerful but a bit of a spongey feel thus far. I have heard decent things about the stock battleaxe tires but what do you guys think? I always ran the Q3's and my last set was a pair of Metzeler M7RR. Great tire for the road!

Looking forward to hear from you guys and I am happy to join team green again (even tho I have a minimum amount of green).
I didn't gel very well with the stock Bridgestones. I had the rear slide on me under acceleration leaned over and I lost the confidence to push them harder. I didn't like the feedback I got from them and I was happy to ditch them for the Q3+.

The brakes feel the same to me. All stock at the moment and I have that same feeling as you. It is what it is for the time being.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 05-01-2018, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
I didn't gel very well with the stock Bridgestones. I had the rear slide on me under acceleration leaned over and I lost the confidence to push them harder. I didn't like the feedback I got from them and I was happy to ditch them for the Q3+.

The brakes feel the same to me. All stock at the moment and I have that same feeling as you. It is what it is for the time being.
That's good to know! I will test the tires this weekend and continue to explore this beautiful bike! Definitely need to get acquainted with this manual and learn all the electronics. Perfect bathroom reading material!

Do you find the TC intrusive under a hard load or does it allow some slippage? Also, I noticed you can turn the QS off. Is there any benefit or reason you would do this?

Thanks again for your help!
post #13 of 26 Old 05-01-2018, 10:15 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
That's good to know! I will test the tires this weekend and continue to explore this beautiful bike! Definitely need to get acquainted with this manual and learn all the electronics. Perfect bathroom reading material!

Do you find the TC intrusive under a hard load or does it allow some slippage? Also, I noticed you can turn the QS off. Is there any benefit or reason you would do this?

Thanks again for your help!
Technically, the QS should be turned off all the time unless you're at the track. Too many people don't know how it works and what it's used for. It shouldn't be turned for normal street use. Usually. Most people don't know that so they just leave it on. But the reason for the on/off is to allow that to happen.

The TC is decent and not obtrusive for me in TC1. I ride with it OFF for about 90% of the time. The other 10% is when I forget to turn it off and it defaults into TC1. I tried TC2 and TC3 and those are show-stoppers. They should make you scan an AARP card to get into those modes.
wheelz96 likes this.

#WordCrimes

post #14 of 26 Old 05-01-2018, 10:18 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Alright son, time to STUNT that beast...
Full exhaust, Motul oil, air filter, ECU flash, dyno tune, tank side grips, Pazzo shorty levers if you're into that, double bubble windscreen, AIS plates if you don't like popping...

That should get you up to par performance wise on stock gearing. I personally like the stock gearing (I mean it's what I learned this bike on). Keep your TC on for now man, I just recently learned how to fully shut it off, but I still choose to leave it on. The last thing I want is to drop 12 grand down the shitter because of some tar snake, cold tires, or road debris.

When in doubt... send it!

Last edited by ddipaola; 05-01-2018 at 10:25 AM.
post #15 of 26 Old 05-01-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Technically, the QS should be turned off all the time unless you're at the track. Too many people don't know how it works and what it's used for. It shouldn't be turned for normal street use. Usually. Most people don't know that so they just leave it on. But the reason for the on/off is to allow that to happen.

The TC is decent and not obtrusive for me in TC1. I ride with it OFF for about 90% of the time. The other 10% is when I forget to turn it off and it defaults into TC1. I tried TC2 and TC3 and those are show-stoppers. They should make you scan an AARP card to get into those modes.
I'll have to remember about the default setting. Lol about AARP card!

Roebling will be the first track day in a couple weeks which is a fast sweeping track which this bike's engine characteristics should play well with this track!

I will keep all updated on how it goes and can't wait to open her up!

Stay safe bud!
post #16 of 26 Old 05-01-2018, 01:35 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
I'll have to remember about the default setting. Lol about AARP card!

Roebling will be the first track day in a couple weeks which is a fast sweeping track which this bike's engine characteristics should play well with this track!

I will keep all updated on how it goes and can't wait to open her up!

Stay safe bud!
Watch it out there at Roebling! You're likely to break the sound-barrier on a ZX-10R at that place with those fast sweepers! Don't bin that new bike! But have a good time!
wheelz96 likes this.

#WordCrimes

post #17 of 26 Old 05-09-2018, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Update...

I am through with my break in period (more or less). I have over 800 miles on the dash and I am taking it to Blood mountain this weekend followed by Roebling memorial weekend. This bike is on rails in the corners! As powerful as she is it's so docile down low so I think i'm going to drop a tooth in the front for starters. Bike is truly amazing but I'm sure you guys know this already!

Mods so far are integrated tail light, fender eliminator, sliders,tank grips, and just mounted a M4 Tech 1 3/4 system. I am sending my ecu to Schnitz racing for a flash and I'm looking forward to the auto blipper and proper fueling. The extra horses will be appreciated as well!

Anyone here use Schnitz before for a flash?

Here's a pic!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zx10r tank pads.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	416306  
post #18 of 26 Old 05-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Update...

I am through with my break in period (more or less). I have over 800 miles on the dash and I am taking it to Blood mountain this weekend followed by Roebling memorial weekend. This bike is on rails in the corners! As powerful as she is it's so docile down low so I think i'm going to drop a tooth in the front for starters. Bike is truly amazing but I'm sure you guys know this already!

Mods so far are integrated tail light, fender eliminator, sliders,tank grips, and just mounted a M4 Tech 1 3/4 system. I am sending my ecu to Schnitz racing for a flash and I'm looking forward to the auto blipper and proper fueling. The extra horses will be appreciated as well!

Anyone here use Schnitz before for a flash?

Here's a pic!

How is the integrated taillight? Thought about it but always worried it won’t be bright enough after I had one for my old CBR1000rr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #19 of 26 Old 05-09-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileyCyrus View Post
How is the integrated taillight? Thought about it but always worried it won’t be bright enough after I had one for my old CBR1000rr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very bright actually! Some buddies I ride with thought it was the stock tail light until I braked. It flashes when braking.. Im very happy with the purchase! Motodynamic is the brand.
post #20 of 26 Old 05-14-2018, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
So I just spent the weekend at Blood Mountain in Georgia and had a blast on the ZX10R! This bike ran down anything in front of me including some track bikes and a couple super duke 1290's. However, I had the rear end come around 3 separate occasions in TC3. Two out of the three slides were controllable but one bucked me on top of the tank almost high siding. I ran 32 psi in the rear then dropped down to 30 but still had slippage thru mid corner. These stock RS10 tires are not confidence inspiring to say the least! I am actually curious to try the new Q4. Anyone here get there hands on a set of the new Dunlops yet?

Overall bike worked great but tires are garbage IMO. Taking her to track for first time this weekend so looking forward to that!

What tires are you guys running for track duty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in