Gen 4: 2011-2015 2012 ZX10R high idle HELP!!!!! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-13-2018, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

2012 ZX10R high idle HELP!!!!!

Hey guys!! I have had my ZX10R for almost two years now and it was a track bike for most of the time but hardly got much time to ride it. Converted back to the street recently. Removed bazzaz as advised by quite a few mechanics. And the bike just did start. It ran perfectly fine on the track. The mechanic said it was something with throttle bodies and I bought a new one for him to install. Once installed, the bike turned on. But it idles at 3000 constantly. When I ride it, it rides fine. But doesn’t go below 3000 unless it passes 110+ degrees Celsius after which the bike drops to about a 1000 rpm. I can’t figure out what wrong. Please please help me!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-14-2018, 09:38 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage

The Gen 4 uses an idle speed control valve in the throttlebodies to control and adjust the speed. If the second set of TBs is doing the same thing, then the question is if the control valve was reused from the second set? Or did the second set of TBs come with it's own?

Sounds like the control valve is bad. Or the wiring that goes to it. Or the ECU that controls the valve isn't providing the proper output. ECU reflashed? If it's not, then you likely have a wiring issue from the ECU to the control valve.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 13 Old 05-14-2018, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hey buddy! Thank you so much for your response. The ECU is brand new cause apparently my old one got fried and kawasaki gave me a new one. The second TB is had it’s own sensor but I am guessing it’s some wiring error. I will be checking that. Do you think a vacuum leak can cause this problem? I have another bad feeling that my mechanic might have adjusted the bolt on the left of the throttle body to idle higher cause my bike just wouldn’t idle before it fried the ecu.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-15-2018, 08:14 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
A vacuum leak would typically cause an erratic idle and engine operation. I'm not sure what screw you say he adjusted on the left side of the TB. Each TB has a vacuum screw that is adjustable so they can be synchronized. But all 4 of them need to be properly adjusted, not just one. The race kit has a manual idle adjust screw. Is that what you're referring to?

#WordCrimes

Last edited by SkyDork; 05-15-2018 at 08:18 AM.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-15-2018, 08:33 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Gen:4 how do you adjust idle????

#WordCrimes

post #6 of 13 Old 05-15-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Yes, I am referring to the manual adjusting screw like the race kit. In the stock kit, you can unlock the lock nut, and use the allen key to adjust it. From what i read in another blog. I am wondering if the mechanic did that. Either way, I will be opening it myself and look through all the wiring and the hoses. Any key pointers to look at will be great. I built the bike myself and ran it for two years. Made a mistake trusting a local mechanic. Should have gone straight to the dealer... Thank you so much for your time. Do let me know if there are some specific things i should look into, might reduce my time in solving this.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-16-2018, 08:05 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridekawa10r View Post
Yes, I am referring to the manual adjusting screw like the race kit. In the stock kit, you can unlock the lock nut, and use the allen key to adjust it. From what i read in another blog. I am wondering if the mechanic did that. Either way, I will be opening it myself and look through all the wiring and the hoses. Any key pointers to look at will be great. I built the bike myself and ran it for two years. Made a mistake trusting a local mechanic. Should have gone straight to the dealer... Thank you so much for your time. Do let me know if there are some specific things i should look into, might reduce my time in solving this.
The only thing I'd be able to give you advice on, is that screw is very sensitive. Especially given the minimal changes you're looking to do on to to drop it back from 3,000 to 1,150 RPM. Barely move the screw and see how it responds before making another change. Good luck.

#WordCrimes

post #8 of 13 Old 05-16-2018, 05:28 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Bike running good then you did whatever. Take it to the tech guy that did that whatever.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-16-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks a ton @SkyDork! @scout, the guy the did whatever, when I complained about my bike running fine before I gave it to him. He back fired and got aggressive. The reason I gave someone to work on my bike is because I have a full time job so I couldn’t do it myself, in Hong Kong we do not have garage space, it’s just parking lots and no one (workshop and mechanics) would be willing to share their tools to fix my own bike. Cause they rather get paid. So tadaaaaa, either way, I am going to dig into my bike this weekend and try my best to sort it. I know my bike inside out cause I built it myself but the problem wasn’t caused by me so I will have to dig in. Wish me luck! Thanks again!!
post #10 of 13 Old 05-17-2018, 07:39 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Good luck with it Iride! Let us know how you make out in the end.

#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in