2011 ZX-10r Buying Advice - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Porschenut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-24-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

2011 ZX-10r Buying Advice

Looking at a 2011 zx 10r with nearly 30k miles on in. What are the watchouts for this bike as far as used potential issues? Is there any major maintenance that likely needs to be done at this higher mileage or that is upcoming? The service manual stops at 23k miles. Link if anyone is interested ti the bike I'm looking at. http://www.roadtrackandtrail.com/def...OwnedInventory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-24-2017, 01:57 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Assuming none of these have been done yet, it'll need a valve service, new sprockets and chain, coolant flush, plugs, air filter and a throttle body synchronization (I skipped the sync on mine and it seems fine).

Tires and oil change if it needs it.
Capncalyx likes this.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #3 of 8 Old 08-24-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
Assuming none of these have been done yet, it'll need a valve service, new sprockets and chain, coolant flush, plugs, air filter and a throttle body synchronization (I skipped the sync on mine and it seems fine).

Tires and oil change if it needs it.
Thanks. That's good stuff to know to ask the dealer about if they know of or have any kind of vehicle maintenance records. How much does valve service and throttle body sync cost? Rest of the stuff I'm pretty sure I can do myself.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-24-2017, 03:11 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

i know this is a common problem with them (i've got 10k on mine and its already needed done) MANUAL CAM CHAIN TENSION-ER!!!! LISTEN FOR THE RATTLE... alot of sellers will "mask the noise" with a loud exhaust... put your ear close to the right side of the motor and really really listen closely for rattle... they are notorious for needing manual ones, call any dealer/shop and they will tell you the exact same things... the OEM tensioners are garbage...
post #5 of 8 Old 08-24-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonda1991x View Post
i know this is a common problem with them (i've got 10k on mine and its already needed done) MANUAL CAM CHAIN TENSION-ER!!!! LISTEN FOR THE RATTLE... alot of sellers will "mask the noise" with a loud exhaust... put your ear close to the right side of the motor and really really listen closely for rattle... they are notorious for needing manual ones, call any dealer/shop and they will tell you the exact same things... the OEM tensioners are garbage...
Wow that's good to know. Thanks for that info.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-24-2017, 04:02 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

A valve service and TB sync will run about $550-600USD. Plugs need to be removed for that anyway so throw those on top.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #7 of 8 Old 08-24-2017, 04:20 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Welcome to the party!

Yeah, what Porschenut said is pretty much the jist of it for that mileage. Aside from the usual stuff to look for, the general maintenance items need to be addressed based on that. Nothing else that I'm really aware of or different from any other bike.

And I would disagree with the camchain tensioner. It's pretty much the same non-return plunger type tensioner Kawi and lots of other manufacturers use. You hear people complain about them because they don't really know how they work and their bike gets "noisy". Being this is a Kawi, it's gonna sound just like that.

The OEM cam chain tensioner works with a spring pushing on a plunger. When the chain stretches, gets some slack in it, the spring allows the plunger to move out one notch and take up the slack in the chain. If the slack is enough to make the chain rattle a bit, but not enough to allow the plunger to extend, then you hear the rattle. There's very little to fail on them and cause problems. Most people hear the rattle and will tell you the tensioner is shit. I've adjusted the OEM one a few times and it's pretty straight forward. Putting a manual tensioner can lead to serious motor issues if you don't know what you're doing and put too much tension on the cam chain. That's why they're typically used in race or built-up motor applications, not your typical street bike. An over-tensioned cam chain is much worse than a rattling one!!!

So don't let that scare you away from the bike in question! Good luck with it!

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #8 of 8 Old 08-24-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll be heading to the dealer this weekend most likely and now I have a bit more knowledge about what I'm getting in to. Any more information is appreciated until then :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.