ZX-10/ZX-14 subframe compare - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-09-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

ZX-10/ZX-14 subframe compare

I am planning to remove the short piece of subframe from the lefthand side of my ZX-14. It will save about 9 ounces of weight. My concern is that the lefthand side subframe is there primarily to reinforce the air box/frame. The air box has a slot in it to remove the air filter and the slot presumably makes the frame weaker on the left.

So, if the ZX-10 has the same frame configuration and the same section of subframe, I will assume the subframe is fairly important.

subframe bolted by S1 and S2. The air filter slot cover is the silver plate above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-10-2014, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

A friend witha ZX-10 has informed me that it does not share the same type of frame design with the ZX-14. Any opinions on whether or not to remove the left side subframe from the 14 still welcome.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-10-2014, 05:22 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
The subframe refers to the part of the frame off the rear that supports the seats. It has nothing to do with the picture you posted. The ZX-14 frame is nowhere close to the same design as the zx-10 frame. It's a backbone frame that goes directly over the motor. The zx-10 uses a twin spar perimeter type frame.

If you're referring to the piece in your picture of the ZX-14, I'm betting the Kawi engineers put it there for a specific reason. Do not remove it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #4 of 6 Old 12-10-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks SD. Actually, the parts fiche DOES refer to the rail on the left hand side of the ZX-14 as a subframe. I know that the tail is the only place on most sportbikes where you will see such bolt-on frame bars but apparently any part that supports the main frame is called a subframe.

The tail subframe is definitely not needed on the 14 unless you carry a passenger. It's coming off for sure.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-10-2014, 09:39 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Thanks SD. Actually, the parts fiche DOES refer to the rail on the left hand side of the ZX-14 as a subframe. I know that the tail is the only place on most sportbikes where you will see such bolt-on frame bars but apparently any part that supports the main frame is called a subframe.

The tail subframe is definitely not needed on the 14 unless you carry a passenger. It's coming off for sure.

Yes, technically any support piece that reinforces the main Frame can be considered a "subframe". It's just not the term most people identify with for those pieces. It is correct though.
The Zx-10r doesn't use those pieces.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #6 of 6 Old 12-11-2014, 12:56 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

it looks like a secondary engine support as its directly below the engine mounting bolt on the s1 side. could also be their to make the frame more ridged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.