Gen 4: 2011-2015 The "tick" ....... Normal - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 266 Old 04-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Remember to use a Factory Kawasaki oil filter, and no synthetic oils. Some dealerships will loophole you out of your warrantee with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 266 Old 04-29-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Oh, no doubt about that! I'm not gonna be caught out there like that!
post #23 of 266 Old 04-30-2011, 12:47 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to fastburnzx-10 Send a message via MSN to fastburnzx-10
pound where all do you ride im 2 hours north of you...

Ride hard, ride fast....

08 ZX-10R (Black)
05 zx-10r (magma)-KIA---
73 Z1 900 (all original)-The Original Kawi beast

post #24 of 266 Old 04-30-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Honestly, I really haven't had the opportunity to "ride" yet ... Mostly just commuter miles on it right now and I just moved to the area a couple months ago. I hear there's some good spots just north of here though....
post #25 of 266 Old 05-13-2011, 08:27 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Another ticking gen4 here. Before my first service, I started hearing the ticking sound in my engine, around 480 miles. So I called Kawi and the dealer, who said to bring it in. So I had the bike trailered there at around 500 miles, in an attempt not to further harm the motor if it was infact malfunctioning. They ran it multiple times before changing the oil and filter, and said they didn't hear anything ''uncommon for a Kawasaki'' and that ''Kawi's pistons tend to slap the cylinder walls harder than most''. So after I got it back, all sounded fine, I couldn't hear the noise anymore.
Now, around 850 miles I'm hearing it again, sometimes at idle and sometimes at higher rhythm when accelerating. It has me pretty concerned, but looks like it is infact kind of normal, judging by all of you having similiar experiences. Gotta say though, it is pretty annoying, cause the whole time I'm wondering if I'm harming the engine, vs having fun riding. It does pull like a beast though. Idk.. I think I'm going to take it in.
post #26 of 266 Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Man run these bikes, your sitting on an engine a powerful one at that, it won't ride quiet or sound like a 2012 Lexus. Put some miles on these things, I paid 13 cash for mine best believe I'm going to ride it, 5000miles an counting.
Anthony Crescenzo likes this.
post #27 of 266 Old 05-14-2011, 12:13 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the advice. So thats what we're supposed to do on our bikes. I was just using mine as a table.. Go figure.
post #28 of 266 Old 05-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

You have to brake these things in, pound on them. I've been around 4 gen 4's and they all sound like this. But these are all brand new bikes and a mechanic will probably have no idea where to start checking. But good luck man take it to someone.
post #29 of 266 Old 05-14-2011, 12:57 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Yeah, I feel like I'll probably get the same response from them as before. But I don't know if they heard that particular noise either, since it tends to come and go. At any rate, I do get on it regularly, i mean it's pretty hard not too. That's what we buy these bikes for right? It's under warranty, so if the engine goes it goes and they will be replacing it at no cost to me (better be). However, it's probably like you and others have said, just needs breakin in. It's got tons of power and soon will have more. I suspect if there are an real issue's, the dyno will reveal them. Until then, I plan on ridin her hard as usual.
post #30 of 266 Old 05-15-2011, 04:34 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

My gen4 had 'the noise'. Dyno'd it today. 171.43hp completely stock. Beat a mates brand new hyabusa. I was nervous at first, & the 1st run was 160... They changed a couple of settings & got more. Only an s1000rr with akro, pc & tune got more... Couldn't fully disable the abs.

Nice to know it's not broke!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.