How To remove KLEEN / AIS for Cal / 50st bikes - Page 5 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 148 Old 10-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Ok, call me an idiot but why did everyone do this again, was it just for weight reduction? I havent read anywhere if it really helped hp gains or performance? Once again if I missed it let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 148 Old 10-07-2004, 07:01 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to gladding24
weight, and it reduces the amount of popping/backfiring you hear with an aftermarket exhaust. No HP benefits though.

Stop Whining!!!
It ain't easy being Green ~ Kermit The Frog
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.....Even if you win...you are still retarded

CaliSuperbikes- "these are high strung machines, and we're giving them a constant dose of Red Bull"
post #43 of 148 Old 10-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladding24
weight, and it reduces the amount of popping/backfiring you hear with an aftermarket exhaust. No HP benefits though.
It sounded to me like the backfiring increased when the KLEEN was messed with? I mean isnt the clean there to catch unburned fuel and make the engine burn more efficiently to meet cali standards? I would imagine by removing this it would increase the chances of backfire. I mean isnt a backfire fuel catching inside your canister causing a audible pop as it burns or creates a small explosion?

post #44 of 148 Old 10-07-2004, 08:59 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to gladding24
Sort of Frank, The only thing the AIS(Air Injection System) does is pump fresh air into the exhaust just after the exhaust valves. This allows any unburned fuel leftover from the combustion process to mix with the fresh air and burn in the pipe. the stock pipe has enough baffling so you don't really hear the backfiring, but with an aftermarket pipe you do. Installing block off plates stops the flow of fresh air into the exhaust and reduces the amount of 'afterburning' that occurs in the exhaust pipe.

Stop Whining!!!
It ain't easy being Green ~ Kermit The Frog
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.....Even if you win...you are still retarded

CaliSuperbikes- "these are high strung machines, and we're giving them a constant dose of Red Bull"
post #45 of 148 Old 10-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
As you've either found out or are going to the vacuum caps are only required if you leave the OEM plates intact but since your using the plates from DK theres no need.

BD
You do need some vacuum caps even if you are installing the block off plates.

On my CA model there was a small 4mm (0.160") nipples coming out of the Cyl#1 throttle body and the Cyl#2 throttle body (2 total) that I had to plug. You can use 1/8" vacuum caps here. If memory serves me correctly these were attached to the charcoal canister.

Also there is the large nipple 15mm (0.590") coming out of the bottom of the airbox/throttle plate. You can use a 5/8" cap here. This nipple supplies air to the air solenoid that is removed with the installation of the block off plates.

Hope that helps
post #46 of 148 Old 10-07-2004, 11:09 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

:iamwithst
post #47 of 148 Old 10-08-2004, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
You do need some vacuum caps even if you are installing the block off plates.

On my CA model there was a small 4mm (0.160") nipples coming out of the Cyl#1 throttle body and the Cyl#2 throttle body (2 total) that I had to plug. You can use 1/8" vacuum caps here. If memory serves me correctly these were attached to the charcoal canister.

Also there is the large nipple 15mm (0.590") coming out of the bottom of the airbox/throttle plate. You can use a 5/8" cap here. This nipple supplies air to the air solenoid that is removed with the installation of the block off plates.

Hope that helps
Omega all of this is mentioned in the very beginning of the thread.

My reply to SMbowen was mearly to let him know that the DK plates do not require any vacuum caps BUT if someone is using the exhisting OEM plates then yes they will require two 5/8" caps.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #48 of 148 Old 10-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I Bought Some Block Off Plates From Ivans Performance And They Are Top Notch, He Stated That The Fi Light Will Come On.. A Resistor Is Needed To Prevent This. It Should Be As Simple As Taking A Meter And Read Across The Valve Poles And Going To Radio Shack For The Resistor.. Has Anyone Done This Yet? If Not I Will This Weekend.

z50(first bike) way gone
cb125,cr250,xl250,xr350,zx600,fz600x2,
97' cbr900 totaled
98' TLR totaled
00' ZX9 sold
04' ZX10 met lime green, track bike now
08 CBR1000RR red/silver!
post #49 of 148 Old 10-08-2004, 12:15 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I installed the Dan Kyle block off plates, and the FI light didn't come on.

David Nolden
CMRA #711
post #50 of 148 Old 10-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

It Will Give It Time

z50(first bike) way gone
cb125,cr250,xl250,xr350,zx600,fz600x2,
97' cbr900 totaled
98' TLR totaled
00' ZX9 sold
04' ZX10 met lime green, track bike now
08 CBR1000RR red/silver!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.