How To remove KLEEN / AIS for Cal / 50st bikes - Page 15 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 148 Old 10-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

no biggie. glad you put in your info for it though, I didnt disconnect the plug to know whether it throws a code or not. good all around.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 148 Old 08-06-2013, 11:43 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky10R View Post
HOW TO: Kleen Removal with PICS

1. Remove ALL YELLOW PARTS
2. You can either plug the HOSE (RED LINE), or Plug the tip in the RED CIRCLE.
3. Leave the HOSE (BLUE LINE) alone and let it vent to air. Or you can use a T-Tap and connect it to the tank's vent hose.
4. Either Plug the HOSE (GREEN LINES) or plug the tips in the GREEN CIRCLES.

Of course, to get into the throttle bodies, you need to remove the tank and the airbox.

Note: Dont remove the part inside the VIOLET CIRCLE, because you need that to screw the inner fairing in (OEM plastics).

Sorry to bring this old topic up but I'm in a bind (I just got my race fairings and am having a hard time getting all this stuff to fit nicely. Race day this weekend!).

These instructions are the best in my opinion. Thanks. Will these specific instructions work w/ my gen 4 (has all the california emission stuff)? And stupid question -- what do you use to plug the hoses?
post #143 of 148 Old 08-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadyc View Post
Sorry to bring this old topic up but I'm in a bind (I just got my race fairings and am having a hard time getting all this stuff to fit nicely. Race day this weekend!).

These instructions are the best in my opinion. Thanks. Will these specific instructions work w/ my gen 4 (has all the california emission stuff)? And stupid question -- what do you use to plug the hoses?
Lucky hasn't been around this site in awhile I doubt it works for 4th gen as instructions are concerned but the same principles should apply but ....plugging hoses go to your local auto store and by some vacuum plugs to help seal some are kits with different sizes.

bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.

post #144 of 148 Old 08-07-2013, 07:12 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
Lucky hasn't been around this site in awhile I doubt it works for 4th gen as instructions are concerned but the same principles should apply but ....plugging hoses go to your local auto store and by some vacuum plugs to help seal some are kits with different sizes.

bloo
thanks...are there instructions on the site for Gen 4? I've spent hours looking and can't find.

Note I don't have time to order any block off plates because I'm leaving Friday morning, so am looking for the hose-plugging solution.
post #145 of 148 Old 08-07-2013, 07:35 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
thanks...are there instructions on the site for Gen 4? I've spent hours looking and can't find.

Note I don't have time to order any block off plates because I'm leaving Friday morning, so am looking for the hose-plugging solution.
You can use marbles in the hose to block them off too

The solenoid, you un plug it and use a paper clip in the plug and this will cause it to bypass the unit so no check engine light come on

The Truth
post #146 of 148 Old 08-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech5 View Post
You can use marbles in the hose to block them off too

The solenoid, you un plug it and use a paper clip in the plug and this will cause it to bypass the unit so no check engine light come on
so I could just use marbles to block off the 3 tubes (red, green, white) where they terminate, on the right hand side of the bike? That way, I wouldn't even need to remove the airbox? If so, that would be the quickest and easiest way!
post #147 of 148 Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

since I don't have block off plates, can I do the following until I get the block off plates:

1. leave the KLEEN solenoid and rubber hose connected to the airbox
2. don't touch the REED valves
3. on the throttle body assembly, pull all the hoses out, and plug the 2 where the green and white were connected
4. on the tank, plug the red hole and leave the blue hose as-is
post #148 of 148 Old 09-03-2013, 12:46 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
since I don't have block off plates, can I do the following until I get the block off plates:

1. leave the KLEEN solenoid and rubber hose connected to the airbox
2. don't touch the REED valves
3. on the throttle body assembly, pull all the hoses out, and plug the 2 where the green and white were connected
4. on the tank, plug the red hole and leave the blue hose as-is

Just following up on this thread. I was able to complete the job after getting the block off plates. Thanks to all who helped.

Some info to pass along:

1. I was able to remove the annoying canister / separator / tubes without removing the KLEEN solenoid (the bike ran fine without doing the KLEEN part). So if you just want to clean up the right side of the bike quickly (without removing the airbox), that's the easy way to go. For me, I needed to clean up the right side since I was putting on race bodywork, which did not have space for the cannister / separator

2. when plugging up the holes, the only size of vacuum caps needed was 3/16". The 1/8" was too small. You can get these from any auto store (but were not available at my hardware stores, which I tried first)

3. if you decide to remove the KLEEN solenoid, don't forget to close the circuit using a paper clip and electrical tape. Otherwise, you'll get an FI error code 64 and have to remove the airbox again (which takes some effort). BTW, I had no idea what it meant to close the circuit (w/ paper clip) so I'll explain it for other noobs like me. When you remove the KLEEN solenoid, you'll need to disconnect an electrical connection. The "left back" electrical connection is now open, meaning it's like a socket with nothing in it. So you need to clip off the end of a paper clip so it looks like a letter "U", and push it into the open socket (needs quite abit of pressure). Then wrap it in electrical tape so it cannot come loose.

Hope this saves the next guy some time :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.