I'm pretty new here so I thought I'd start a thread about my bike and what ive done so far.
I have loads of Ideas of what I want to do but we will have to see how many I actually do or can afford ;)
I went on a 500mile round trip to pick a 08 zx10r up last month
Lovely little bike with 11000 hard miles on the clock. It's has been used as a track bike so not much of the fairing is original. a few minor marks here and their but still looking good.
I took her out for a spin and 5 mile up the road I nearly lost the back end and she started spluttering and losing power. I looked down and noticed my boot was wet so I immediately pulled over.
Petrol was gushing from the side of the bike running all over the rear wheel and allover the road.
Turned out the previous owner decided he wouldn't bother clipping on the little red retaining clip on the fuel hose :(
I wasn't too impressed with that but hey it's one of those things.
After riding for a bit I also noticed oil running out of the side of the starter cover. It looks like where it's been over it's pushed the casing in a touch so the gasket isn't sealing properly.
I fixed it with some sump gasket sealer or so I thought (more on that later)
As I wasn't 100% sure when she was last serviced so I perchased a little care package. Including a set of rear pads due to them being contaminated from the first ride
After all that I decided it was time to get rid of the standard can as it's all a bit hideous and quiet. I also got a little link pipe to remove the mid silencer.
It turns out I'm getting old and now it's a touch loud. So I picked up a baffle, which just happens to be the wrong shape.
Luckily I have a little TIG welder so I cut it off and welded it back on in the right position
Next up was a cheeky little quick action throttle mod.
I then decided I didn't like the rear pegs and I doubt I'll really take any one on the back. So I started making my own exhaust hanger
After cleaning it up and painting it. I think it turned out ok.
I also added some grip pads and a set of renthal grips.
I started thinking about some cheap easy handling improvements. But didn't have much to hand so I TIG'd a few washers together for a rear spacer
I've never been all to keen on the front indicators being on the mirrors so I decided to relocate them to the head lights anlong with changing them to high discharge LED's
After poking about the rear end a bit I found out that the tail light has been replaced and there were a couple of wires hanging out that weren't connected to any thing....
Could they be integrated rear signals?
Yeah haha bonus.
So I wired them in. But they had the good old hyper flash going on.
Luckily my old man had some resistors laying about the garage. So I promptly cured that problem
I've recently noticed there's still a very small amount of oil coming out of the starter cover. So I though I'd best investigate.
Looks like a hair line crack going through the corner
Well I had the idea that I might be able to TIG weld that up too. Unfortunately I'm not that good and blew a hole in the casing (No embarrassing pics of that)
So I have ordered a new casing and am waiting for it to arrive.
Unfortunately she's laid up until then
Sorry for the long winded first post.
I'll try and update as I progress with other bits and bobs