• 3 Post By MonK-E
  • 1 Post By MonK-E

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-07-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
MonK-E's bike

I'm pretty new here so I thought I'd start a thread about my bike and what ive done so far.
I have loads of Ideas of what I want to do but we will have to see how many I actually do or can afford ;)

I went on a 500mile round trip to pick a 08 zx10r up last month

Lovely little bike with 11000 hard miles on the clock. It's has been used as a track bike so not much of the fairing is original. a few minor marks here and their but still looking good.

I took her out for a spin and 5 mile up the road I nearly lost the back end and she started spluttering and losing power. I looked down and noticed my boot was wet so I immediately pulled over.
Petrol was gushing from the side of the bike running all over the rear wheel and allover the road.
Turned out the previous owner decided he wouldn't bother clipping on the little red retaining clip on the fuel hose :(
I wasn't too impressed with that but hey it's one of those things.

After riding for a bit I also noticed oil running out of the side of the starter cover. It looks like where it's been over it's pushed the casing in a touch so the gasket isn't sealing properly.
I fixed it with some sump gasket sealer or so I thought (more on that later)

As I wasn't 100% sure when she was last serviced so I perchased a little care package. Including a set of rear pads due to them being contaminated from the first ride

After all that I decided it was time to get rid of the standard can as it's all a bit hideous and quiet. I also got a little link pipe to remove the mid silencer.

It turns out I'm getting old and now it's a touch loud. So I picked up a baffle, which just happens to be the wrong shape.

Luckily I have a little TIG welder so I cut it off and welded it back on in the right position

Next up was a cheeky little quick action throttle mod.

I then decided I didn't like the rear pegs and I doubt I'll really take any one on the back. So I started making my own exhaust hanger

After cleaning it up and painting it. I think it turned out ok.
I also added some grip pads and a set of renthal grips.

I started thinking about some cheap easy handling improvements. But didn't have much to hand so I TIG'd a few washers together for a rear spacer

I've never been all to keen on the front indicators being on the mirrors so I decided to relocate them to the head lights anlong with changing them to high discharge LED's

https://youtu.be/YMd4Rshj9LY

After poking about the rear end a bit I found out that the tail light has been replaced and there were a couple of wires hanging out that weren't connected to any thing....

Could they be integrated rear signals?

Yeah haha bonus.
So I wired them in. But they had the good old hyper flash going on.
Luckily my old man had some resistors laying about the garage. So I promptly cured that problem

https://youtu.be/nYwulQdOoSg

I've recently noticed there's still a very small amount of oil coming out of the starter cover. So I though I'd best investigate.

Looks like a hair line crack going through the corner

Well I had the idea that I might be able to TIG weld that up too. Unfortunately I'm not that good and blew a hole in the casing (No embarrassing pics of that)

So I have ordered a new casing and am waiting for it to arrive.
Unfortunately she's laid up until then

Sorry for the long winded first post.
I'll try and update as I progress with other bits and bobs
Duhastme and belkins like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-08-2017, 07:48 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Welcome, I like the exhaust hanger you fab'ed up, simple but makes a big difference, nice way to save a $100 or so I am sure. Great looking bike and cant wait to see what other editions that will be done.

The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-08-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Cheers bud :)

I've got a fair few plans for a winter rebuild towards the end of this year. Don't know why I want more power. It really isn't necessary on this bike, but hey I can so I will ;)

Until then I'm just going to be setting the bike up and doing a few mods here and there.

Which brings me to what just turned up today :D

A nice 105nm K-tech spring because I'm not a featherweight build haha.
I'm not going to crack on with the bi-xenon HID conversion just yet as I'm still waiting for a set of halos to turn up.
Looking at other people's conversions I might have to make up some mounting brackets for the projectors which could be fun.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-08-2017, 08:10 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Nice fab,work man, I miss my 3rd gen

82 GS450L- Bobber Project
06 636- Sold
07 R1- Lost
08 zx10r- Lost
09 zx10r- Totaled 8/3/14
07 cbr600rr- Track - Sold
12 EX250r- Womans - Kissed a guardrail
13 zx10r- Old street - Sold
14 SSR Lifan 180cc Pit Bike- Fun machine
15 zx10r- New street

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

post #5 of 10 Old 05-08-2017, 08:30 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I REALLY like that home fabed exhaust hanger!
post #6 of 10 Old 05-09-2017, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thanks guys :) the exhaust hanger really isn't anything special. Just a couple of sections from a fence peg and 3 slices of a old steering column that I had laying about. Sanded drilled and welded together.
Cheep and cheerful haha.

At a later date I might make a aluminium hanger if I get the itch to make things a bit lighter. But then I could just not have a burger for lunch and save the same difference ;)
Duhastme likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-09-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
I got home from work to find a couple of parts have turned up.

First off was to replace the main half of the starter cover what had a crack in and I made far worse by trying to weld it. Live and learn haha.

After I got that done I installed a double bubble.
I'm really Starting to love the look of the bike. Although I think I'm still going to look into some graphics/stickers next month for her.

I've also ordered all the parts I need to make up a plug and play loom for the bi-xenon conversion so fingers crossed all the plugs will turn up by the weekend so I can crack on with that.
One thing I'm missing though is the rubber grommets for the back of the light housings but I'm sure I'll be able to pick some up form somewhere.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-15-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
On Saturday I decided to make a start on the bi-xenon HID conversion.

Some how I managed to get the lights out without stripping all the fearing off

I then proceed to pull the housing apart with the help of a heat gun. I purposely didn't use a flat blade screwdriver due it leaving horrible scars, not that you see them or anything.

After removing a stock projector I set about making up the brackets to mount the bi-xenon units.

Once I cut them out, I gave them a quick test fit

And added some paint

After they dried I re assembled the light housing with the new projectors and 35w 5000k HID units. wired them up to a battery for a quick test

That was about as far as I got on Saturday.
Sunday I started making up the relay loom

After that I tidied it up and made the high beam loom.

With all the loom parts done it was time to install the lot. Which turned out to be a bit easier said than done.
The slim ballasts I have seem to heat up to quite a reasonable temperature. I didn't want to have them resting against the fairing in case the heat affected the plastic or paint.
So the only place I could come up with was to cable tie them to the lower tree.

They still need a bit of set up adjustment. But on the whole I'm pretty pleased with how they have come out.

keithk, Duhastme and boostin10 like this.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-17-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
I've been out for a play on the bike as the wether has been pretty spot on for the most part.
I'm not really one for trying to get my knee down on the road or any of that business.
But a quick look at my rear tyre says to me that I should probably start hanging right off the side of the bike as I'll be running out of tyre soon.

I already shift my backside across 1 cheek and move my upper body towards the inside. Also try and have my head looking round the mirror stalk.
I just don't bother sticking my knee out.

Maybe I need to shift my weight to inside further. Hopefully that will let me to have the bike a touch more upright in corners and enable me to be happier to further push for some more corner speed
post #10 of 10 Old 05-20-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
I couldn't think of much cheap little things to do. But I did decide to tyre pen the Bridgestone on the tyres

Also in the UK it's a legal requirement to have a rear reflector, for some stupid reason I can't think off.
But hey it has to be there so I decided to make a small one out of a cut down bicycle reflector then glue it to the number plate ;)

theatiss likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.