ZX10R super rich - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-20-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
ZX10R super rich

Hey guys. Iím new to the forum because Iím relatively new to my ZX10R. I have a 2005 green ZX10R. Iíve owned it for a few months and just noticed a problem I wanted to see if anyone might be able to help me with.

Details about the bike:
About 20k miles
Power commander 3 installed
No lights or faults coming up
Recent valve adjustment (after problem noticed)

Problem.
My bike is running super rich with the power commander like the map in the commander minimum values are around +50. The plugs are blackened and Iím only getting less than 100 miles to a tank. Iíve tried switching the map to one I downloaded from the power commander website but the bike stumbles and wonít rev. The bike runs pretty well with the super rich map.

Since I pulled up the map and saw the insane numbers I started checking a few things.

-I checked the valves (all within spec)
-Inspected the vacuum lines and boots and canít find any evidence of a vacuum leak (could have been missed)
-installed new plugs
-Iím going to be syncing the throttle bodies this weekend but I canít imagine that having such a profound effect.
-I tried unhooking the power commander and the bike stuttered and didnít rev the same as the other maps from the website.

Basically Iím asking if anyone has any ideas for me to check.

The power commander set super rich is allowing the bike to run and perform decently but with the blackened plugs itís not right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-20-2017, 04:33 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Fuel pressure/flow test on the pump. Injector service... those two are where I would personally start.
GreenOne, badassjake and gaz like this.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 11-20-2017 at 04:37 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-20-2017, 09:09 PM
gaz
Squid

Posting Frequency

get injectors professionally cleaned, recommend proflow technologies in new port richie fl. 1-2 day turnaround, about 90 bucks including return shipping. i get inj's cleaned/flowed on every bike i build. just finished 09 gen 2 busa , 5 out of 8 injectors failed spray pattern test. will cause same symptoms ur having.

post #4 of 13 Old 11-20-2017, 09:23 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

fuel pump could be clogged....lowering pressure or failing pump with low output pressure............

2004 ZX10R-few mods here and there......
and even made more Evil by Woolich.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-21-2017, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thank you

Ok sounds like the best place to start is fuel pump pressure/output. I will make a test fuel line this weekend and start there. As soon as Iíve got some numbers Iíll let everyone know. Thanks to everyone who replied.
badassjake likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-21-2017, 01:45 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Wait..

So the bike is running super rich.. the plugs are basically fouled and the power commander is dumping 50% more fuel in over stock?

Okay, so that's why the plugs are fouled. You gotta set the map to 0. Then diagnose youre actual problem, not the fact that you need 50 extra full to get it to run poorly. I dont care how well the bike is running, you'll never need that much extra fuel on a near stock bike.

So likely the bike is super lean and has a pinched line, bad pump, clogged filter, bad/dirty injector and it's lean as fuck somewhere.
Set the pc3 to 0's and change the plugs and start diagnosing the problem.
Capncalyx likes this.

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
post #7 of 13 Old 11-21-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Sorry. Maybe my original posting wasnít clear. The map that was in the bike was set to a minimum of +50 when I bought the bike. I pulled up the map and knew that that was very wrong. I set the map to a zero map and it ran like crap. Itís definitely super lean and has a problem somewhere that the other guy covered with the crazy rich map. I checked the plugs to see what condition they were in from that map and replaced them with new ones. I have a feeling that the fuel pump is where the problem is. I unfortunately work 10 hour days so I wonít be able to test the pump and injectors until this weekend.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-21-2017, 08:33 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I would disconect the pc to rule out if thats the problem ive personaly seen them go bad and cause same problems. Other things to check would be fuel pump, injectors and pinch fuel line.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-21-2017, 09:28 PM
gaz
Squid

Posting Frequency

did u ck compression? cams in stk hole position and in correct time?
post #10 of 13 Old 11-23-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
test results

well i'm ordering a fuel pump. Thank you to everyone who suggested ideas of things to check. Fuel pressure was 19 psi where 43 is required. In response to other suggestions to check, thank you as well. I did check compression, cam position, and i did try without the power commander hooked up before I tested the fuel pressure. Thanks again.
Victors likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.