Gen 1: 2004-2005 ZX10 ignition issues- won't start! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 03-14-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

ZX10 ignition issues- won't start!

Hey guys,
having an issue with the ZX10... I've had the battery on a tender for the last 6 months, so the other day put it back into the bike in preperation for the upcoming race season.
I've got power- as the dash lights up and does it's test thing, but there is no noise like it normally does when it's trying to push fuel through the fuel pump, and there is no power going to the power commander(as nothing lights up on the power commander). The bike turns over but will not start... what do you think the issue is??? I'm stuck!
BTW I do have the ground hooked up to the negitive battery terminal.

Please offer thoughts.

Cheers
kiwi1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-14-2011, 07:41 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Check your fuel pump....

Sounds like a dead pump.

First, make sure your battery isn't the culprit, really dead batteries may not get a full charge from a trickle tender regardless of how long they're on, or it might be a dead cell. Use jumper cables to jack in a known good 12v.

Then take apart the three wire connector under the L subframe rail under the driver's seat, jumper 12v battery directly to the pos and neg pins (the third pin is the fuel level sensor). Have the key on and the kill switch on when you do this. The pump should immediately spin and pressurize the lines enough to start.

If not, check the pump relay (three box black box atop the ECU under the seat), there's a pinout check diagram in the manual that'll guide your resistances.

Otherwise all I can think of is check your lockout switches...clutch, kickstand.

If your pump is dead, there's a concise writeup on here on replacing the pump assembly.
post #3 of 35 Old 03-14-2011, 07:45 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyemm View Post
sounds like a dead pump.

First, make sure your battery isn't the culprit, really dead batteries may not get a full charge from a trickle tender regardless of how long they're on, or it might be a dead cell. Use jumper cables to jack in a known good 12v.

Then take apart the three wire connector under the l subframe rail under the driver's seat, jumper 12v battery directly to the pos and neg pins (the third pin is the fuel level sensor). Have the key on and the kill switch on when you do this. The pump should immediately spin and pressurize the lines enough to start.

If not, check the pump relay (three box black box atop the ecu under the seat), there's a pinout check diagram in the manual that'll guide your resistances.

Otherwise all i can think of is check your lockout switches...clutch, kickstand.

If your pump is dead, there's a concise writeup on here on replacing the pump assembly.

****Giiiiiiiiittttttuuuurrrdooonnneee****

post #4 of 35 Old 04-12-2018, 11:59 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Did you figure out what was wrong ? mine is doing the same thing but i got voltage to fuel pump when i turn the key on but it doesn't make the regular sound it usually does when you turn key.. ( computer whine sound briefly ) or whatever but it quit making that sound and now i got no power to my pciii and bike just turns over without trying to start.. even unhooked pciii and no change.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks
Jerad
post #5 of 35 Old 04-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Bet any money both of you guys have fried the ground wire for the fuel pump harness.

Start peeling apart the harness working toward the main and see what else let the factory smoke out....
post #6 of 35 Old 04-12-2018, 04:29 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

power commander get's power from fuel injector harness.........so is the fuel pump, check your relay, it can be tested with a multimeter.
post #7 of 35 Old 04-12-2018, 08:39 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Well checked out the ground bus and positive junction that is under seat by fuel pump connector and all is good, tested the relays that's on top of ecu everything tested good , I'm getting power to fuel pump with key .. but bike doesn't make the whine or noise that usually always did when you turned key on... (Kinda reminds me of computer passing post when booting up) but I have no idea why or what to check next.. bike will turn over but doesn't even try to start...any other ideas?? They are greatly appreciated and I can't be the first person to run into this (actually have read several post of similar symptoms but never the cure... Please help and thanks to all who read this....
post #8 of 35 Old 04-12-2018, 08:46 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Tell me you have flicked your kill switch back to run?
post #9 of 35 Old 04-12-2018, 11:31 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hello again and I've flicked kill switch back n forth a dozen times at least , just hoping..but thanks for that.. mine won't turn over with kill switch on (not in run) but I did notice while giggling wires trying to get the sound of computer or electronics (like it did Everytime when it started) I believe all would make the sound I'm taking about.. anyways the f1 light flashes when I'm cranking it over !! Is this normal?? I can't remember if it did that before (although it always started relatively easy and quick so I never payed attention.. bike is almost stock has aftermarket pipe and I made the servo dummy plug so f1 light wouldn't be on.. (not from exhaust at least) but it's not on when keys turned on , only when cranking it over... Any help is appreciated!!!! Thanks
Jerad
post #10 of 35 Old 04-13-2018, 01:31 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

What is the FI code ? Just pull that and likely that'll be the problem 🙄

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]192MPH stock engined 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in