Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

ZX10 ignition issues- won't start!

Gen 1: 2004-05 
14K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  Jeradcarty 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
having an issue with the ZX10... I've had the battery on a tender for the last 6 months, so the other day put it back into the bike in preperation for the upcoming race season.
I've got power- as the dash lights up and does it's test thing, but there is no noise like it normally does when it's trying to push fuel through the fuel pump, and there is no power going to the power commander(as nothing lights up on the power commander). The bike turns over but will not start... what do you think the issue is??? I'm stuck!
BTW I do have the ground hooked up to the negitive battery terminal.

Please offer thoughts.

Cheers
kiwi1

#2 ·
Check your fuel pump....

Sounds like a dead pump.

First, make sure your battery isn't the culprit, really dead batteries may not get a full charge from a trickle tender regardless of how long they're on, or it might be a dead cell. Use jumper cables to jack in a known good 12v.

Then take apart the three wire connector under the L subframe rail under the driver's seat, jumper 12v battery directly to the pos and neg pins (the third pin is the fuel level sensor). Have the key on and the kill switch on when you do this. The pump should immediately spin and pressurize the lines enough to start.

If not, check the pump relay (three box black box atop the ECU under the seat), there's a pinout check diagram in the manual that'll guide your resistances.

Otherwise all I can think of is check your lockout switches...clutch, kickstand.

If your pump is dead, there's a concise writeup on here on replacing the pump assembly.

#3 ·
sounds like a dead pump.

First, make sure your battery isn't the culprit, really dead batteries may not get a full charge from a trickle tender regardless of how long they're on, or it might be a dead cell. Use jumper cables to jack in a known good 12v.

Then take apart the three wire connector under the l subframe rail under the driver's seat, jumper 12v battery directly to the pos and neg pins (the third pin is the fuel level sensor). Have the key on and the kill switch on when you do this. The pump should immediately spin and pressurize the lines enough to start.

If not, check the pump relay (three box black box atop the ecu under the seat), there's a pinout check diagram in the manual that'll guide your resistances.

Otherwise all i can think of is check your lockout switches...clutch, kickstand.

If your pump is dead, there's a concise writeup on here on replacing the pump assembly.
:+1:

#4 ·
Did you figure out what was wrong ? mine is doing the same thing but i got voltage to fuel pump when i turn the key on but it doesn't make the regular sound it usually does when you turn key.. ( computer whine sound briefly ) or whatever but it quit making that sound and now i got no power to my pciii and bike just turns over without trying to start.. even unhooked pciii and no change.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks
Jerad

#7 ·
Well checked out the ground bus and positive junction that is under seat by fuel pump connector and all is good, tested the relays that's on top of ecu everything tested good , I'm getting power to fuel pump with key .. but bike doesn't make the whine or noise that usually always did when you turned key on... (Kinda reminds me of computer passing post when booting up) but I have no idea why or what to check next.. bike will turn over but doesn't even try to start...any other ideas?? They are greatly appreciated and I can't be the first person to run into this (actually have read several post of similar symptoms but never the cure... Please help and thanks to all who read this....

#9 ·
Hello again and I've flicked kill switch back n forth a dozen times at least , just hoping..but thanks for that.. mine won't turn over with kill switch on (not in run) but I did notice while giggling wires trying to get the sound of computer or electronics (like it did Everytime when it started) I believe all would make the sound I'm taking about.. anyways the f1 light flashes when I'm cranking it over !! Is this normal?? I can't remember if it did that before (although it always started relatively easy and quick so I never payed attention.. bike is almost stock has aftermarket pipe and I made the servo dummy plug so f1 light wouldn't be on.. (not from exhaust at least) but it's not on when keys turned on , only when cranking it over... Any help is appreciated!!!! Thanks
Jerad

#11 ·
Ugh! Shit! It's not an F1 light! :rolleyes: :headshake: :BangHead: :shady: It's an....

FI light - Fault Indication!!!

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f28/all-gens-so-your-fi-light-218666.html

The light is flashing during the start sequence because your tip-over sensor (vehicle down sensor) is activated. You need to check that. The FI light should stay on steady when there's an error detected. It should not flash while trying to start - unless the tip-over sensor is activated. :wink:

#16 ·
Ok well excuse me for getting that wrong... FI light then , and where is this tip over sensor that you speak of?? and what's it look like ? My bike hasn't been laid over since i've owned it so kinda weird that it went out but I'll be happy as all get out if that's what it is... I will let you know as soon as i get off work and get home..
Thanks
Jerad

#17 ·
The tip-over sensor is under the fuel tank just in front of the battery. It is a black plastic piece mounted vertically by 2 bolts on either side that hold it in. It will be marked "UP" with an arrow. It has a 3-wire connector hooked to it.

Just because the bike hasn't been down, doesn't mean the sensor isn't bad. A big jolt to it like hitting it or dropping it can damage it. Or the wiring going to it is bad. Especially if it gets fuel on it since it is located right there. If we're still talking about a Gen 1 that is. :dontknow:

#19 ·
Ok well that's not it or at least doesn't appear to be it.. how do I test the tilt sensor? Or jump it out to get it out of the equation?? Anyway I doubt it's got anything to do with it since it acts the same way (turns over but no sounds or ecu or anything) with sensor unplugged.. Fi light did stay on when unplugged tho and went back out when I plugged sensor back in so it appears to be working correctly... Any help is greatly appreciated!!!! And I can post a pic or video if that would help?? Idk what you'd wanna see but if ya tell me I'd be happy to help you help me....lol. Thanks to all who read this...

#22 ·
You don't have enough posts yet to attack stuff like that. Upload it to YouBoob and post the link that way.

And just because the sensor turns off the FI light when plugged bank on doesn't tell you the switch is working. It just means the ECU sees it in the loop. I'll post troubleshooting for the switch shortly on that. And I'll wait for the video post to see what else it might be. The flashing FI light while cranking it is a telltale indication though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 ·
Ok well i can't post a video and don't really wanna accept youboob's terms n conditions to be able to post one there but if I must I will.. can you tell me how to troubleshoot the tilt sensor?? I bought a used one on eBay but it still acts the same.. everything lights up and it'll crank over but you never hear whine or noise from ecu , and Fi light flashes when turning over but doesn't change when sensors held sideways or straight up so I'm not sure if it's related or not... Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks
Jerad

#25 ·
Wow if that was it I'd quit working on stuff but power Commander is out of equation I unhooked it already and back to stock until I figure out problem... And I always hook positive first then neg, so that's not it.. and all wiring/connector's/ plugs. I've found has been good... What's the odds my ecu went out?? How would I test it?? All help is greatly appreciated!!!! What all would cause my Fi light to flash when turning motor over? Thanks again jerad

#26 ·
You should go back over the posts on this thread and try the steps that were suggested. If you already tried them, let us know the results.

1) Result of fuel pump direct wire? suggested by Cyemm

2) Result of entering diagnostic mode to check FI light codes? suggested by michael4012 and SkyDork

These will tell you a lot about your current fault.

Instructions to check FI codes are on a sticky thread at the top of performance and tech and linked in SkyDork's post above.

#27 ·
Ok well I've started stripping bike down so I can get to wiring and test but have yet to find anything ... Does anyone know what would cause Fi light to flash lwhen turning over... Ecu does tell fuel pump to turn on. But butterfly's don't move and can't hear ecu make whine like normal when you turn key on... Fi light only flashes when turning over , other than that it's off and throws no codes ... Any ideas on what to try next?? All help is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks
Jerad
☹?

#28 ·
Does anyone know what it would act like if my immobilizer went out or key lost its mojo that the immobiliser recognizes?? I'm just throwing ideas out there, it actually has done this exact same thing to me a few times right after I bought it (only had it maybe 6 months now) but it went away by just turning off and back on several times and cranked it over some times and then it'd make that whine that tells me ecu is working and it was fine but never took over 2 minutes... Didn't like it but couldn't pin point it or what made it start working again .. tried giggling wires and switches but now it's just not working!!! I'd like to find a way to test ecu or how nice would it be to have a known good one to throw in and test... Anybody close to Southern Indiana with a gen 1 ?? lol

#29 · (Edited)
from actual experience ive had 2 busas doing the same thing, no fuel pump prime and no start sporadically at times. both were ignition switches, and both cured for couple of years now by spraying contact cleaner and wd 40 into the ign switches themselves lol .also have had a couple of gen1 zx10's doing exactley what yours is doing, both were the common ground junction box in the main wiring harness located just next to the harness connector to the fuel pump. one corroded, one burnt. boxes are taped up square in appereance plastic housings that have to be unwrapped, pried open to inspect. bad ground causes a multitude of problems, but was problem both times with same symptoms as ur having. main ground box is connected directley to end of battery negative cable, with multiple system ground wires coming off of it. seriousley doubt ecu bad, first thing is to is get fuel pump/pc powered back up, this could well be problem, it was for me.

#30 ·
Ok well unhooked fuel pump connector and jumped it out pump came on (guess that's the noise I was used to) but wouldn't start, same thing it'll turn over and Fi light flashes while cranking but no start... And I took apart ground junction and it looks like new , so nothing there, what's next ?? I'm kinda stumped... Any ideas out there?? Does anyone know the test for an ecu or the immobiliser system?? I did test tilt switch and its working as it should ( like 4v until it's tilted almost 90 deg then down to 1v on feedback wire) so ruled that out. Help !! lol. Any suggestions are appreciated greatly!! What all causes the Fi light to flash while turning over?? It doesn't throw any codes when grounding the test connector so no help there either... Thanks
Jerad

#31 ·
Have you checked the blue plug in the wiring loom under riders seat area? It was the cause of mine and a few other peoples problems.
You have to unwrap the loom to get to it.
Its a design fault that kawasaki technical told me to inspect as its a common fault for corrosion.
Just bypass the plug and all was good for me

#33 ·
Yes I checked that one and another yellow junction just like that one and both looked like new actually so not 100% but doubtful that's it... I have found a couple single connectors that were melted but was still connected together just melted and I redid those but nothing changed which didn't surprise me.,. Wish I had a known good ecu I could try to see if that was it or a test to see if it's that or whatever is keeping power from fuel pump and ecu or what but it won't even start when I jump fuel pump , turns over just like always lights are on , no Fi light on (except when cranking,it flashes) and no movement from butterfly's and I'm betting no spark.. it's gotta be something not getting power or lost ground but what all switches or sensors are ladder logic 'd before the ecu tells fuel and spark ok?? But let's you turn over engine... Please help
, thanks for reading
jerad

#34 ·
Ok well I've been going thru everything and the only thing I've found wrong is my clutch switch isn't working, unplugged connector and hooked meter to switch and it doesn't change states, and it's supposed to be a normally open switch so I don't see how that would affect anything but I could be wrong.. does anybody know if the ecu looks at this switch even tho it's normally open?? Besides that all has checked out good.. I'm really stumped and could use some ideas so please don't hesitate... Thanks to all
Jerad

#35 ·
FIXED!!! Thankfully I figured it out and it was the ecu !! Bought one on eBay because I couldn't find anything else wrong so figured it had to be ecu , put it in and everything came on like it should ... Just wanted to let y'all know... And thanks for all the help and advice... Truly do appreciate it!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.