Gen 5: 2016 -> Woolich - Corrupting Bin Files (Failed writes) - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-23-2017, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Angry Woolich - Corrupting Bin Files (Failed writes)

Having trouble with Woolich recently.

My ECU was warrantied a few months ago and there's currently the 2017 model in it. Woolich kindly supplied me with a new bin file due to the warranty free of charge.

About a month ago I went to write to my ECU and it failed multiple times (auto-retries) and then stopped. This resulted in the ECU being left blank and so Woolich software was unable to associate a writable bin file to it. As such the bike was effectively bricked and I was unable to read or write to the ECU without buying another bin file.
Sharon from Woolich seemed to have got a notification from this and sent me an email and assigned a new bin file to my account to use. She said something along the lines of it appears I lost my bin file, and told me to double check all connections, power to laptop, and internet connection. I'm pretty vigilant with this since I work in IT.

With the new bin file I managed to write to the bike, but any flashes since then has gone through 2-3 failed writes before successfully writing. Concerned me but seemed to be working.

I'm currently trying to fine tune the autoblipper and today it did the multiple fails again and then stopped saying it couldn't write to the ECU like just last a month ago. Now the bike is back to being bricked, no bin file on the ECU, and the Woolich software unable to confirm that the ECU is indeed tied to a valid bin file. So I can't even flash the stock bin file back to it without having to buy a new bin file ($133 Aussie buckeroos). Being Sunday I can't get a hold of anyone from Woolich to try get help. Left an email and voicemail though.

Has anyone else had any experience with this. It's driving me nuts, and makes me fearful to work on the map any further because I never know if this write is going to fail.

USB device and connection are firm and wires are not damaged. ECU bypass wire is tightly in and connecting. Always reboot and connect everything to check all is good first, then perform a read to double check it's good. This never fails, it's just the writing that fails.

One concern is that I have to run it from a Windows VM since I have a Macbook. I'm not going to go buy a Windows laptop to do this obviously. This however in theory should be fine since it's done it plenty of times before without issue. And like I said, I work in IT so everything is configured properly and there's no issues with my VM's etc.

Help. :(

2016 - ZX-10R KRT Winter Edition
https://www.instagram.com/superbike.turtle/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-23-2017, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Figured it out. VMWare uses an intermediate USB driver which can interrupt data transfer. I guess the transfer to the ECU can't auto-recover from dropped packets like generic file transfers.
bbsteinnewyork likes this.

post #3 of 13 Old 04-23-2017, 08:07 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

So the problem was your end and nothing to do with Woolich. That's normally the case about 99% of the time.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-23-2017, 09:10 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwa View Post
Figured it out. VMWare uses an intermediate USB driver which can interrupt data transfer. I guess the transfer to the ECU can't auto-recover from dropped packets like generic file transfers.
good to know. I have done at least 15 flashes to my ecu without any issues but I used a windows 7 laptop to do the writes. If i was you I would invest in a cheap windows laptop.. you can find them for under $200 for a decent one (local small computer shop/craigslist/ebay/newegg). I keep mine in my garage to lookup stuff/read pdf manuals/read/write ecu.
Boxtradamus likes this.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

~Woolich ECU Flash/Log Box/AutoTune~Driven Block Off Plates~Woodcraft Frame sliders~Cox Radiator Guard~OEM Seat Cowl~Tinted Hotbodies Venom Windscreen~Lightech Chain Adjusters/Axle Sliders/Spools~Sato Rearsets/Race Hooks/Bar Ends/Reservoir Covers~Pazzo Shorty Levers~Engine Ice~Motodynamics Rear Turn Signals~Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock~R&G Case Savers~M4 Street Slayer Exhaust~Ohlins Race SCU~+1 -2 520 Driven Sprockets~520 DID Gold Chain~
post #5 of 13 Old 04-23-2017, 09:23 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by belkins View Post
good to know. I have done at least 15 flashes to my ecu without any issues but I used a windows 7 laptop to do the writes. If i was you I would invest in a cheap windows laptop.. you can find them for under $200 for a decent one (local small computer shop/craigslist/ebay/newegg). I keep mine in my garage to lookup stuff/read pdf manuals/read/write ecu.
I have done over a 1000 lol.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-23-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtradamus View Post
So the problem was your end and nothing to do with Woolich. That's normally the case about 99% of the time.
Problem is Woolich software is not configured to handle millisecond data interruptions like every other application and protocol on the planet can. They didn't even know the reason, just a broad statement of "Oh something with it doesn't work but we don't know what so just don't use it.".

post #7 of 13 Old 04-24-2017, 05:48 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I have used parallels and win7 pro on a macbook pro mid 2014 without any issues. I do have to ensure the device is connected to the win 7 machine and sometimes reconnect the ecu and computer.

How did you figure this out? It is not an everyday issue you encounter.

2011 ZX10R
2012 FZ6R
2012 TU250X
2013 ZX6R
2017 GSX-R1000R
post #8 of 13 Old 04-24-2017, 09:37 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Guys, a dumb question, please....

IS it possible to mess up an ecu, or other electronic bit, by flashing it so many times?

Is there an upper limit when the ecu will finally say, "No more?"
post #9 of 13 Old 04-24-2017, 10:05 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon View Post
Guys, a dumb question, please....

IS it possible to mess up an ecu, or other electronic bit, by flashing it so many times?

Is there an upper limit when the ecu will finally say, "No more?"
no you can flash them as many times as you want. Only way you could really mess it up would be to disconnect it in the middle of flashing the bike.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

~Woolich ECU Flash/Log Box/AutoTune~Driven Block Off Plates~Woodcraft Frame sliders~Cox Radiator Guard~OEM Seat Cowl~Tinted Hotbodies Venom Windscreen~Lightech Chain Adjusters/Axle Sliders/Spools~Sato Rearsets/Race Hooks/Bar Ends/Reservoir Covers~Pazzo Shorty Levers~Engine Ice~Motodynamics Rear Turn Signals~Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock~R&G Case Savers~M4 Street Slayer Exhaust~Ohlins Race SCU~+1 -2 520 Driven Sprockets~520 DID Gold Chain~
post #10 of 13 Old 04-24-2017, 01:26 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwa View Post
Problem is Woolich software is not configured to handle millisecond data interruptions like every other application and protocol on the planet can. They didn't even know the reason, just a broad statement of "Oh something with it doesn't work but we don't know what so just don't use it.".
No, that's not the issue. It's an issue with the newer style ECUs demanding "x" amount of data in "y" amount of time. If the ECU doesn't get the required data in the required amount of time, then the ECU thinks something is fucked and loses it shit. We are at the mercy of what the manufacturers give us and have to operate in line with what their parameters are. If their ECUs cannot have a stop/pause/hiccup or else it fubars the whole write, there is nothing we can do. Plenty of ECUs can (and do) have pauses/interrupts and run perfectly fine.

Similar shit we had working in the military on our avionics systems; we had to run dinosaur era, slow ass computers to update and test at the circuit level otherwise the baud rate from the newer CPU is too fast for the slower avionics and would cause all sorts of issues. Not the kind of thing you want to have in the middle of an engagement or at 40,000 feet hauling cargo.

ME Motorsports, Inc. Exclusive North American Distributor of Woolich Racing products. Official MotoGyro Vision , Zeitronix, Brock's Performance, Core Moto and MWR filtration products vendor.
For a special ZX-10R.net discount on Woolich Racing products, please private message me!

|| Facebook || Website || 701.212.1130 || NorthAmerica@WoolichRacing.com ||
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.