Track Day Rider
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sydney, Australia
Woolich - Corrupting Bin Files (Failed writes)
Having trouble with Woolich recently.
My ECU was warrantied a few months ago and there's currently the 2017 model in it. Woolich kindly supplied me with a new bin file due to the warranty free of charge.
About a month ago I went to write to my ECU and it failed multiple times (auto-retries) and then stopped. This resulted in the ECU being left blank and so Woolich software was unable to associate a writable bin file to it. As such the bike was effectively bricked and I was unable to read or write to the ECU without buying another bin file.
Sharon from Woolich seemed to have got a notification from this and sent me an email and assigned a new bin file to my account to use. She said something along the lines of it appears I lost my bin file, and told me to double check all connections, power to laptop, and internet connection. I'm pretty vigilant with this since I work in IT.
With the new bin file I managed to write to the bike, but any flashes since then has gone through 2-3 failed writes before successfully writing. Concerned me but seemed to be working.
I'm currently trying to fine tune the autoblipper and today it did the multiple fails again and then stopped saying it couldn't write to the ECU like just last a month ago. Now the bike is back to being bricked, no bin file on the ECU, and the Woolich software unable to confirm that the ECU is indeed tied to a valid bin file. So I can't even flash the stock bin file back to it without having to buy a new bin file ($133 Aussie buckeroos). Being Sunday I can't get a hold of anyone from Woolich to try get help. Left an email and voicemail though.
Has anyone else had any experience with this. It's driving me nuts, and makes me fearful to work on the map any further because I never know if this write is going to fail.
USB device and connection are firm and wires are not damaged. ECU bypass wire is tightly in and connecting. Always reboot and connect everything to check all is good first, then perform a read to double check it's good. This never fails, it's just the writing that fails.
One concern is that I have to run it from a Windows VM since I have a Macbook. I'm not going to go buy a Windows laptop to do this obviously. This however in theory should be fine since it's done it plenty of times before without issue. And like I said, I work in IT so everything is configured properly and there's no issues with my VM's etc.