Gen 4: 2011-2015 Wheel compatibility - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 Old 12-25-2012, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
ZX-10R enthusiast

Posting Frequency

Garage
Question Wheel compatibility

Yes I searched, and yes there is a small bit of information out there, but I couldn't find it tonight

Anyways, what other Kawasaki wheels will mount up to the Gen4?

We know that they will need the speed sensor plates, and larger front rotors if you are running the stock Tokico calipers.

I have a set of Gen1 wheels, I was hoping the rear would work.
I also have a front from an 05 ZX-6R which seems like it would work as the axle seems identical (has not been confirmed) There was also some talk about other Gen wheels working when you change the bearings or use axle from that Gen. I remember reading about a Gen3 wheel working after you get it machined but......aintnobodygottimeforthat

Please post your findings.

Strictly for my Ninjas

2011 ZX-10R ABS

17/41, Woolich Racing Tuned ECU and QS, Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert, CL XBK5 pads, Yosh case sliders, Mivv Carbon w/ Ti Akra link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 12-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

I have a set of gen 1 wheels to fit to my gen 4. For the rear the axle is a smaller dia. You can't just change out the bearings to gen 4 cause they have a bigger od. So.... I bought a gen 1 axle and spacers to use, and then a spacer will need to make the caliper bracket work. Or I bought a gen 1 caliper bracket to see if that is easier when swapping wheels. For the front I'm getting 320 mm rotors, and the tone ring and hopefully that's it. Others have said that gen 2 or 3 fronts are direct swap except for the tone ring. I would guess the zx6 front would work, but you gotta try it and enlighten us.

Sent from my HTC vivid

Fast parts, Great Service: PM Mike at Rider's Discount
post #3 of 69 Old 12-25-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
ZX-10R enthusiast

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal11 View Post
I have a set of gen 1 wheels to fit to my gen 4. For the rear the axle is a smaller dia. You can't just change out the bearings to gen 4 cause they have a bigger od. So.... I bought a gen 1 axle and spacers to use, and then a spacer will need to make the caliper bracket work. Or I bought a gen 1 caliper bracket to see if that is easier when swapping wheels. For the front I'm getting 320 mm rotors, and the tone ring and hopefully that's it. Others have said that gen 2 or 3 fronts are direct swap except for the tone ring. I would guess the zx6 front would work, but you gotta try it and enlighten us.

Sent from my HTC vivid
That is good information I'm sure I could easily pick up those few bits for the Gen1.
Unbolting the caliper bracket doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

If no one else confirms within the next few days, I will try and test the ZX-6R wheel.

Strictly for my Ninjas

2011 ZX-10R ABS

17/41, Woolich Racing Tuned ECU and QS, Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert, CL XBK5 pads, Yosh case sliders, Mivv Carbon w/ Ti Akra link

post #4 of 69 Old 12-25-2012, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
ZX-10R enthusiast

Posting Frequency

Garage
What Gen axle are you going to use for the front? Gen1 spacers? Or are spacers same as Gen4?

Strictly for my Ninjas

2011 ZX-10R ABS

post #5 of 69 Old 12-26-2012, 03:21 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The zx6 wheels feel noticeably heavier than the gen IV wheels...get a set of carrozzerias or marchesinis...you rather upgrade to lighter rotating mass then go backwards trust me
post #6 of 69 Old 12-26-2012, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
ZX-10R enthusiast

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacknyc1000 View Post
The zx6 wheels feel noticeably heavier than the gen IV wheels...get a set of carrozzerias or marchesinis...you rather upgrade to lighter rotating mass then go backwards trust me
I've read that the new 3 spoke are lighter, but I just want to get back to the track next season so I'd like to try and use my Gen1 wheels if they will work.

Hmm, might have to do some weight comparison tests.

Strictly for my Ninjas

2011 ZX-10R ABS

post #7 of 69 Old 12-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
What Gen axle are you going to use for the front? Gen1 spacers? Or are spacers same as Gen4?
For now my plan is to use the gen 4 axle and spacers. Until I find out that something doesn't fit...

These are the other threads I had subscribed to with wheel swap info: Rims for my 2012

Gen 3 wheels on a gen 4

My plan is to run the Gen 1 wheels on the street, and the Gen 4 wheels on the track. I'll end up with $650 into the gen 1 wheels to get them on the bike, can't really touch that with aftermarket wheels.

Just weighed the Gen 1 wheels, front has 300mm rotors installed; rear with rotor and cush drive installed, no outer spacers on either wheel = 15 lbs front, 18.5 lbs rear
someone has weighed gen 4 wheels on here, just couldn't find it quick

Last edited by Animal11; 12-26-2012 at 04:32 PM.
post #8 of 69 Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

so... more info

Gen 1 axle is 20mm and the Gen 4 is bigger like ~25-26mm

Then searching ebay i found the Gen 3 axle is the same style as the Gen 4, while the Gen 1 and Gen 2 are the same.

So, now I'm thinking to sell my Gen 1 wheel set and buy a Gen 3 set.

Shoulda done my research first:headshake

post #9 of 69 Old 12-27-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
ZX-10R enthusiast

Posting Frequency

Garage
Well that's a bummer for ya.

So the Gen1 front is out of the picture completely?

Sent via iPhone

Strictly for my Ninjas

2011 ZX-10R ABS

post #10 of 69 Old 12-28-2012, 12:19 AM
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
Well that's a bummer for ya.

So the Gen1 front is out of the picture completely?

Sent via iPhone
If it was my only option I could make it work by making some spacers or machining the wheel to get Gen4 spacers and bearings to work.

I'm thinking the easiest solution at this point may be to just buy a gen 3 front

Ugghh, other's on here say swapping the bearings will allow any gen front to work. Headed to the dealer tomorrow, hopefully they have bearings in stock for both gens and I can line them up to see if the od's are the same

Last edited by Animal11; 12-28-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.