Valve Clearance Philosophy - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 23 Old 09-11-2017, 09:26 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassjake View Post
closer to loose.

Thanks for that, I was aiming for 0.20 throughout but what would you suggest for IN and EX numbers to aim for on the looser end? I am working on my 05?

Exhaust 0.17 ∼ 0.22 mm
Inlet 0.15 ∼ 0.24 mm

Thanks for the replies, I realize that they get tighter as they wear. But I am also curious to know of any benefit of being uniform. Let me explain, you got 8 IN valves and 8 EX valves. The question is when setting all IN valves on the looser end for example is there a benefit to making an effort that they are all at the same number. Say you aim for 0.22 on all the IN valves, but you can't get all of them to 0.22, some are at 0.21 and some at 0.23? Your still in specs so your fine, but is there a extra benefit to getting all of them at 0.22 uniform all through the 8 valves and same question for the EX side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 Old 09-11-2017, 09:30 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10 View Post
Thanks for that, I was aiming for 0.20 throughout but what would you suggest for IN and EX numbers to aim for on the looser end? I am working on my 05?

Exhaust 0.17 ∼ 0.22 mm
Inlet 0.15 ∼ 0.24 mm

Thanks for the replies, I realize that they get tighter as they wear. But I am also curious to know of any benefit of being uniform. Let me explain, you got 8 IN valves and 8 EX valves. The question is when setting all IN valves on the looser end for example is there a benefit to making an effort that they are all at the same number. Say you aim for 0.22 on all the IN valves, but you can't get all of them to 0.22, some are at 0.21 and some at 0.23? Your still in specs so your fine, but is there a extra benefit to getting all of them at 0.22 uniform all through the 8 valves and same question for the EX side.
The best is to have them alway equal with each other, and close to the lower limit. Because that way, the valves opens more and you have more air/fuel coming in, and more exhaust gases coming out.

BUT if you do that, you have to measure them once per month aprox haha.

So for street riders, like me, is better to have them close to upper limit, and can ride thousends of miles till next service.

Of course you have to try to have them all at the same number, to have the same valve opening in each cylinder

Regards from Argentina
post #23 of 23 Old 09-18-2017, 10:27 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

In all reality......the actual thickness in question is so marginal that it can be debated to exhaustion......considering we are talking about the thickness of a piece of paper sliced into 3 or 4 thin pieces. get them close and worry about cam tensioner failure or generator failure instead, LOL

2004 ZX10R-few mods here and there......
and even made more Evil by Woolich.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.