Gen 1: 2004-2005 Valve Adjustment with pictures - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-28-2017, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Valve Adjustment with pictures

When I originally posted this thread 8-9 years ago the photos were hosted on Picasa. Picasa was absorbed by Google and the link lost. Since we can post pictures directly on this site now I am reposting the information. This is just a guide to help you when you are checking valve clearances. You still need a FSM (Factory Service Manual) to tear down the bike to access the valve cover as well as cam removal in case you need to change shims.
I checked my valves at 15K and 30K on my '04 XZ10R, they were within spec. In fact when I compared my clearances at 15 and 30K, the valve clearances barely changed.

If you looking for a good set of feelers gauges that measure to 4 decimal places in inches which the service manual does, I bought a set of SKF gauges. Not cheap but very good quality. I have Part Number SKF 729865 B
http://www.skf.com/group/products/ma...ges/index.html

Motion Industries carry them in the USA.
https://www.motionindustries.com/pro...Feeler%20Gauge

Since it easier to post the information with each picture I will use one photo-one post in sequence.

Photo #1
On the right side of engine, remove crankshaft sensor cover (small cover). Turn the crankshaft clockwise (see arrow) until TDC 1.4 mark lines up where the upper & lower crankcase halves mate (highlighted with Sharpie pen). When the marks are aligned, this means either #1 or #4 piston is at TDC of the compression stroke. Check camshaft lobe orientation or marks on camshaft timing gears to confirm which piston is at TDC of the compression stroke. Once determined check the 8 valves for this orientation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crank trigger TDC.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	395426  

'04 Blue ZX-10R, FORKS: Race Tech Gold Valves, .85 KG/mm springs, US1 suspension fluid, Shock: Penske 8900 shock w/8760 compression adjuster, Gilles rear sets and levers, Scotts steering damper, Racefit Mega slip on, Zero Gravity screen, ZX636 Master Cylinder, Galfer Superbike braided brake lines, Vesrah SRJL17 pads, Kawasaki seat cowl, undertail kit, Oury Grips, Valentine One radar detector with Legal Speeding heads-up helmet LED.

Last edited by banzai; 03-29-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-28-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Photo #2
Piston #1 at TDC of compression stroke. Correct camshaft sprocket orientation. See camshaft lobe orientation (next picture) to confirm. The IN & EX marks highlighted in white on the sprockets should point at each other. Don't be confused by the markings. One sprocket is manufactured for use on both intake and exhaust cams. If the sprocket is on the intake cam (left sprocket) only pay attention to the IN mark. Like wise if the sprocket is on the exhaust camshaft (right sprocket) the EX is only mark to use.

Check valve clearance on following valves.
Cylinder #1 Intake and Exhaust valves
Cylinder #2 Exhaust valves only
Cylinder #3 Intake valves only
Cylinder #4 No valves are checked
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cam timing #1 TDC.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	395434  

'04 Blue ZX-10R, FORKS: Race Tech Gold Valves, .85 KG/mm springs, US1 suspension fluid, Shock: Penske 8900 shock w/8760 compression adjuster, Gilles rear sets and levers, Scotts steering damper, Racefit Mega slip on, Zero Gravity screen, ZX636 Master Cylinder, Galfer Superbike braided brake lines, Vesrah SRJL17 pads, Kawasaki seat cowl, undertail kit, Oury Grips, Valentine One radar detector with Legal Speeding heads-up helmet LED.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-28-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Photo #3
Piston #1 TDC on compression stroke. This is the orientation of the camshafts lobes for #1 cylinder to check valves clearance for:
Cylinder #1 Intake and Exhaust valves
Cylinder #2 Exhaust valves only
Cylinder #3 Intake valves only
Cylinder #4 No valves are checked
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cam lobe orientation TDC #1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	395442  

post #4 of 8 Old 03-28-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Photo #4
Piston #4 at TDC of compression stroke. After turning the crankshaft one revolution and aligning the 1.4 mark with the upper and lower crankcase mating surface again, this is camshaft sprocket orientation to check valve clearance of the other 8 valves. Notice the IN & EX marks on the sprockets highlighted in white are now facing away form each other. Again, don't be confused by the markings. One sprocket is manufactured for use on both intake and exhaust cams. If the sprocket is on the intake cam (left sprocket) only pay attention to the IN mark. Like wise if the sprocket is on the exhaust camshaft (right sprocket) the EX is only mark to use.
Check valve clearance on following valves.
Cylinder #1 No valves are checked
Cylinder #2 Intake valves only
Cylinder #3 Exhasut valves only
Cylinder #4 All valves are checked
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cam timing TDC #4.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	395450  

post #5 of 8 Old 03-28-2017, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
My valve clearance chart template. Shaded valves are for #1 at TDC. Unshaded valves or for #4 at TDC.
Feel free to print it out when you do your valve adjustment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Valve Adjustment Chart ZX10R_Final.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	395466  

Last edited by banzai; 03-28-2017 at 08:39 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-28-2017, 08:54 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Nice writeup and pics. Im sure this will come in handy for somebody when it comes time to check them valves.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-29-2017, 08:19 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Sticky coming up.

post #8 of 8 Old 03-29-2017, 08:23 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I printed off your template, that will be super handy when I'm doing my valves soon.

Thanks for the good write up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.