Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Valve Adjustment - Gen 4

17K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  shanesteak 
#1 ·
I did some searching and looked at all I could find. I'm planning on doing some maintenance this winter to include checking the valve clearances. This is my first time doing this, so just seeing if anybody that's previously done it on their Gen 4 had any tips or tricks. I have the service manual in hand and don't foresee any issues. But figured I'd take any advice from those who know more than I do. Thanks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
I did my first valve adjustment (on my Gen 4) a couple months ago. It was so satisfying doing it by myself!

It was straightforward for the most part. Here are a few points to consider:

- make your life easier by putting masking tape tags on all the various plug ends to match them back up after.
- you'll have to cut the rubber mat in a couple places which the manual doesn't mention as far as I recall.
- zap strap the timing chain onto the cam gears and crankshaft sprocket to preserve the timing and tilt the cams out of the way without removing them entirely. It'll be a little tight getting to the buckets for cylinder 4 but there will be enough room. I pulled my cams out the first time but still had to adjust a valve after re-installing and used the zip tie method the 2nd time around which was faster.
- make sure you have a pivoting magnet tool to extract those buckets.
- I used more 1.80 shims than any other size but I also have higher mileage (though relatively low rpm) than most bikes. I believe that most of my required shims were in the 1.75-1.85 range.
- this miniature ratchet combined with a 4mm allen bit will also make the job much faster when re/re'ing the cam cover bolts. They have a zillion threads and take FOREVER with an allen key, especially for the bolts tucked way back under the frame spar.

Naro Ratchet Driver & Bit Set | eBay

#5 ·
Also have some cardboard handy. There's a piece of compressed foam sandwiched between the radiator and cylinder head. Once you remove the valve cover, the foam expands and overlaps with the mating surface of the cover. I cut a piece of cardboard and slipped it in front of the foam to push it back out of the way which gives you more room to do the service.

It's hard for me to explain but you'll see what I mean once you expose the valve cover.

#12 ·
I'm debating not putting whats left of it back in. Such a pain in the ass and none of my bikes have it on the valve cover. Makes sense about reduction though so it wont heat up the air box. But then again the air travels through so fast i doubt it wouls have time to heat up.

#13 ·
There's another good reason to keep it on if you live in rainy climates. In my case I left the rubber mat on. I ride year round in rain or shine and it rains a lot where I live. I noticed that the front wheel kicks a lot of dirty water up into the engine/radiator area and while my motor, valve cover and lower portions of the wiring harness etc. were very dirty, the top area above the mat (air box, underside of tank, ECU etc.) was relatively clean.

#16 ·
I had all my stuff off checked the clearances and realized how out of tolerance they were and didn't want to go through the hassle of ordering shims so I'm just taking it to a shop
I would think by that point you're already there. Why put it back together just to pay someone to take it all back apart? There was a site posted where you can order shims individually as needed.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...him?term=shims

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#19 ·
Most dealerships have the shims in stock due to servicing. If they dont they have to order so either way it doesnt matter if you bring it to them, it wont change the time line any. I needed all 8 exhaust shims ranging from 1.65 to 1.80 and they had all 8 and then some.

#21 ·
I carefully pried the cover off. It didn't want to come off by hand.

#24 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about getting the cover back on. I was actually surprised by the re-installation of the cover. I tried it first without the gasket just to work out the angles and it settled into its spot on the 1st try. When I actually tried it with the gasket it went back in just as easily. For me, it was harder to get the cover out than to put it back in and this proved true each time (3x) I pulled the cover out.

#28 ·
I just put the image in a photo editor, blank it out and print it and set it on my portable workbench next to my bike when I am doing the valve clearance/adjustment. I put the shims in the little circles on that sheet when I pull them out and write in the measurements by hand. Later I again edit the sheet in a photo editor and transfer all the measurements into the image and print it again and save it in my records. Here's a blank one:

#29 ·
I just put the image in a photo editor, blank it out and print it and set it on my portable workbench next to my bike when I am doing the valve clearance/adjustment. I put the shims in the little circles on that sheet when I pull them out and write in the measurements by hand. Later I again edit the sheet in a photo editor and transfer all the measurements into the image and print it again and save it in my records. Here's a blank one:
Thanks bro!

#32 ·
Great info boys! Have one major question though.
I'm at 17k on my gen 4, looked online, looked in the manual, when exactly do i do a valve check?
She's running great, no power loss, no clicking on idle.......i'm finding aot of mixed answers when to do the check.

Thanks in advance and ride safe!

#34 ·
Old post, but can't find that much on gen 4 valve adjustments.

I'm having trouble getting my Cams back into place. They won't fit into their slots from the cam Chain not having enough slack. Did any of you have to remove your cam chain tensioner?

In the manual it says to remove the cct before taking out your Cams. Thoughts?

#35 ·
Old post, but can't find that much on gen 4 valve adjustments.

I'm having trouble getting my Cams back into place. They won't fit into their slots from the cam Chain not having enough slack. Did any of you have to remove your cam chain tensioner?

In the manual it says to remove the cct before taking out your Cams. Thoughts?
I answered this in your other thread but leaving the answer here for future readers.

Yes, you have to remove the CCT entirely for this service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.