Trading money for weight - Page 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 521 Old 05-22-2014, 10:30 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by stage5 View Post
I got my green 1 weighed by tech after a race. 387 lbs :).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Kind of hoping that's what mine will tip the scales at. I want to be under that 400 pound wet mark.

ME Motorsports, Inc. Exclusive North American Distributor of Woolich Racing products. Official MotoGyro Vision , Zeitronix, Brock's Performance, Core Moto and MWR filtration products vendor.
For a special ZX-10R.net discount on Woolich Racing products, please private message me!

|| Facebook || Website || 701.212.1130 || NorthAmerica@WoolichRacing.com ||
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 521 Old 05-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to Hernando Send a message via Skype™ to Hernando
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balogiannis View Post
Trading money for weight is a nice way of putting it haha! 180 kg with almost full tank is very nice,it means you are close to 168-170 kg without fuel.

I'm doing the same with my k7 1000 GSX-R for the past 4 years, ( I know,shame on me for throwing money on thee gixxer),and I think I'm at a good point.

I weighted the bike at 158 kg ( and it's 195 hp also) and I still have parts at home I haven't installed like CMC rotors (- 1.5 kg) ,Pankl titanium rods ( -550 gramms) and some other mods in mind which will get me down to almost 150 kg ( without fuel in the gas tank),

I have also changed some of the bolts with Ti ones,but I've found out that you have to start from where the big gains are first,axles,rear linkage and engine bolts are where Kgs are hidden not just gramms...

I have also gone to some extreme measures,like removing all of the unnecessary wiring from the wiring harness,this was an easy and cheap -500 gramms.

I have also made a cf subframe,fairings air ducts,clock bracket and exhaust hanger are all cf, PVM magnesium rims, I also have an STM slipper clutch with aluminum clutch plates in it which was 800 gramms from stock...

This is how it is for now.

Ι'd really like to get a cf gas tank like ETI fuel cell etc,my gas tank is 6+kg and ETI for previous GSXR models is 2.5 kgs...

It's a never ending game you will always try and find out ways to remove weight from the bike
Dang, 158kg thats super light. I was excited about 365-370 lbs wet and I had similar mods. My 08 track bike with tubular subframe and no dl1 dash 2 hooked up is around 370 and I seriously doubt I can get down to 350 even if had tank stand alone and dash. There simply isn't anything else I can do to lighten it.

Bear Jew
post #33 of 521 Old 05-22-2014, 04:02 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Balogiannis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
There simply isn't anything else I can do to lighten it.

There is always something you can do to lighten the bike. You just need to think "out of the (bolt on) box".

Then cost comes to play,because one off's are expencive. Almost everything I put on the bike serves a dual purpose,first of course is doing it's job what ever that is,from the rear shock to the brake calipers etc,and the second one is to reduce the bikes weight.

post #34 of 521 Old 05-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to Hernando Send a message via Skype™ to Hernando
Quote:
There is always something you can do to lighten the bike. You just need to think "out of the (bolt on) box".

Then cost comes to play,because one off's are expencive. Almost everything I put on the bike serves a dual purpose,first of course is doing it's job what ever that is,from the rear shock to the brake calipers etc,and the second one is to reduce the bikes weight.
I've been thinking outside the box for awhile now hehe I think kawis are just big boned .

Yeah my bikes functional use is the most important thing to me your set up is pretty nice.

Bear Jew
post #35 of 521 Old 05-22-2014, 04:30 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Balogiannis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
I've been thinking outside the box for awhile now hehe I think kawis are just big boned .

Ι don't think so,the gixxers are heavier bikes to start with. The good thing about it is that you can find plethora of parts. I think the new Hondas are the best platform for a very very light bike. But the overall difference won't be much,it's that psycological barrier of the X number,that once you cross it seems like it will make all the difference haha

It takes a lot of work to get the bike below 160. And the bike is still very functional, I haven't made anything that would compromise it's performance.

If I could do the same things to my ZX10 I think it would turn a lot lighter.

Last edited by Balogiannis; 05-22-2014 at 04:36 PM.
post #36 of 521 Old 05-22-2014, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
He is building a new site and I have spoken about my frustrations with not having a Australian supplier in Ti automotive hardware! He can get most colors even black (vacuum treated) and torc heads and price goes up accordingly, I was up front with my disbelief in his prices apposed to others and told him that there's a opportunity to sell his product at a nice profit and destroy the opposition, 2011-2014 ZX10R 6mm engine kit sells for $380aus! Using the same tapered socket cap with his prices on his site is well under $180! that's nuts check out his site it's mainly his suspension shop (Hyperpro etc)
Y.S.S suspensions Australia

post #37 of 521 Old 05-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Liposuction.

post #38 of 521 Old 06-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

180kg with a full tank is fantastic and easily reason enough in itself. You enjoy it so enjoy it and sod other's opinions. I know if most bike fans see it in the flesh they would stop and have a gaze at all the improved details. It is gorgeous.

Lightweight carbon bodywork next..?
post #39 of 521 Old 06-04-2014, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thanks Ben, at the moment I have radiator spoilers, front guard, rear hugger and dash inlays in C.F.! To be honest there is nothing in it with oem parts and C.F. parts and what I have been doing of late is Ti rear suspension link bolts, sump bolts, sump plug bolt and just checking out the gen 4 parts manual to order and change when I can, I am also trying to find a way to have my passenger seat made into a solo cowl (once you remove the black cover the rubber foam is a perfect shape)so I am trying to find how a plastic mould can be made to mimic its shape

post #40 of 521 Old 06-04-2014, 06:48 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Sounds like that should keep you busy!?

I wonder if you have ever played with fibre glass? That lets you make almost any shape you can mould- quickly and cheaply- far easier than plastic.

How about a modified race tail with lights installed? That may be easier- but I know you like to tinker so perhaps you don't want easier, lol.

Regardless, keep up the beautiful build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.