Gen 3: 2008-2010 Strange overheating issue - Help needed - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-16-2017, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Strange overheating issue - Help needed

I can't believe that I have not been on this forum since 2014. Time flies when you are having fun.
I have a good one for the 10R gurus.

Wife has an 08 10R, stock except for a slip on exhaust. Miles are below 10k.

Bike runs great except.....when sitting in traffic or at a light after riding a while (30 mins), then temp gauge will climb to display "Hi". Prior to reaching this point, the temp readings will jump around reading 205, 212, 202, 219, 225, 235, 218,. etc. They seem to change or update every 2 seconds. Once you start rolling when the light turns green, the temps drop quickly back to normal until you get to the next light. The fan operates normally.

I initially thought it was a thermostat which I changed. I made certain to reinstall it with little hole up. I then replaced the temp sensor under the throttle bodies in the head. I then replaced the radiator cap. I then pulled the water pump which appears to me to be ok.

I did not that when I drained the coolant to change the temp sensor and check the water pump that only about 2 quarts of coolant came out each time. Both times, I drained while bike was up on a rear stand.

**Should more coolant have drained out? When I refilled, I filled both the radiator and the reservoir. I also noticed that the coolant reservoir is always full not matter when temp the bike is running.

**Is there a way for the radiator to have coolant up to the filler neck and the reservoir to be full, but the coolant "system" not have enough coolant?

**Could I have an air pocket somewhere which is causing the problem?

I have read some posts stating that these symptoms could be air pockets, not enough coolant, head gasket, and radiator cap.

What test can I do to eliminate the remaining since I have already changed a few things? I have never seen a temp gauge bounce around like it is doing. I am thinking this is a good clue to the cause but I am not sure what? I have a video of the gauge jumping but I am not sure how to share it.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-17-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

So today I did the vinager and distilled water flush. I refilled with coolant and went for a ride. Bike still overheated. I rode for a while and then stopped in a parking lot. Temp was rising steadily and I would expect, and then it jumped suddenly from 215 to 235 and the "hi". I revved the engine a little and the temp went down. I also looked at the coolant reservoir to determine if bubbles were present as so when the head gasket is blown. I saw no bubbles. As soon as I started to ride the temp went back to 215 and then back into the 180's in less than 20 seconds.

After getting back home and letting the bike cool for about an hour, I checked the coolant level in the radiator and it was almost to the top. I squeezed the hoses and they were both soft and produced no bubbles.

Should these hoses be firm?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-20-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

bump

post #4 of 7 Old 09-20-2017, 01:26 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Subbed. I'll get back with you when I have more time to respond, if someone else doesn't first.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #5 of 7 Old 09-20-2017, 01:30 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Are you guys "burping" the rad after filling & before riding??

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert
post #6 of 7 Old 09-21-2017, 12:02 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

you need a new radiator cap.
I have had them go on both my zx10 and zx6 they push water in the reservoir and can't suck it back in

2010 Zx10r Black spark Bazzaz zfi with QS,Puig Blue Double bubble,vortex rear sets,Blue Spools, fork sliders and oil fill cap,M4 street slayer,Penske triple clicker -1 +3 gearing 520 chain
post #7 of 7 Old 09-24-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Problem solved.

I had additional air in the lines. Being my wifes bike, it is lowered front/rear without modification to the stand which caused the bike to stand a little taller with less lean. The result, I figure, was not enough lean angle to full bleed the system. I placed a jack under the shock and jacked the bike to a little more lean angle and then bled the system again and all the air came out.

While running at idle with system closed and squeezing the hoses, I found air bubbles appearing in the overflow each time I squeezed. After a few minutes of doing this, the bubbles stopped. Haven't overheated since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.