Sprocket weights - Page 6 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 57 Old 02-01-2018, 04:13 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Re: Proper engineering

"It seems that perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove."

--Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Sebastian1000 and mpp12 like this.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 Old 02-01-2018, 04:18 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian1000 View Post
Or BST/Rotobox rims, are those too many pieces? Or does the proper engineering make all the difference? And surely we can find pics of broken CF rims. That doesn't change how I think about the rims or the technology or the engineering. If it's done right I'll use parts made out of woven yak hair and banana peels.

BLACKSTONE TEK/BST FACTORY | BLACK GOLD | BlackStone Tek
...funny you would mention that.... I just inspected a CF front wheel from another manufacturer for a local bike shop. The inner hub had inexplicably shifted several thousands of an inch out of alignment in it's carbon fiber bore, causing a good bit of braking problems. 'Twas truly a gorgeous $2000 paper weight at that point.....

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 02-02-2018 at 09:22 AM.
post #53 of 57 Old 02-02-2018, 07:26 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

In honor of good engineering... and sprockets

some things are good ideas but need time to develop....

a 520 steel sprocket is a ok idea (not a great one), but it took some time to develop and angry customers (unnecessary from my point of view) and broken s... to make them safe.

the new variable compression engine from Nissan took almost 150 engine prototypes and huge amount of testing before rushing it to final production, (BMW would have released it after 15 and sold 2 years of lemons bmw, then they would have made it the final one).

if you want to go light, go Al, my personal choice is Al sprockets with the 525 chain, since I ride a lot

post #54 of 57 Old 02-02-2018, 08:06 AM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victors View Post
Has anybody had any experience in what steel rear sprockets actually are lighter than stock? I haven't been able to really find any good info online, youd think there would have been someone who actually compared different brands for this stuff. Aluminium is not really an option for me and if like to shave a little weight in the drivetrain. Not gonna swap to 520 just yet, may as well run the 525 chain till it's due.
Read this 1000 times:

Slowly apply Code's techniques; if you don't like reading or need cream, go to these Code classes:

https://superbikeschool.com/

you're question is typical and Code covers your skill set level perfectly.
post #55 of 57 Old 02-02-2018, 08:11 AM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

520 configuration for any super is short term at best and poor choice; 525 configuration is weak; 530 configuration is best.

The 525 forces new chains about 1500 miles and that's only with the best chain; this:

Vortex and oem sprockets are the best; Steel is only option; Aluminum is simply stupid.
post #56 of 57 Old 02-02-2018, 11:22 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
520 configuration for any super is short term at best and poor choice; 525 configuration is weak; 530 configuration is best.

The 525 forces new chains about 1500 miles and that's only with the best chain; this:

Amazon.com: D.I.D 525 ZVM-X Super Street Series Chain - 120 Links - Gold , Chain Type: 525, Chain Length: 120, Color: Gold, Chain Application: Offroad 525ZVM-X GOLD X 120: Automotive

Vortex and oem sprockets are the best; Steel is only option; Aluminum is simply stupid.
Disclaimer - The above recommendations and intervals are for those who chose to not do any maintenance. At all. Just loops and figure 8's.
rcannon, LDH, Duhastme and 1 others like this.

Live Til You Die - QOTSA

We will all die but only a select few of us will ever truly live.

Last edited by Capncalyx; 02-02-2018 at 04:08 PM. Reason: speeling
post #57 of 57 Old 02-05-2018, 10:28 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx View Post
Disclaimer - The above recommendations and intervals are for those who chose to not do any maintenance. At all. Just loops and figure 8's.
This "M" word you speak of????

And if the #530 is good, why not bump up to the #630 like we had in 1978?
Sebastian1000 and LDH like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in