LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 57 Old 01-31-2018, 09:36 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtradamus View Post
Some more.
Thanks for the pics on all of this. Clearly I'm not disputing the issues related to the overall strength of the lightened pieces and material being used, but I do look at these pics and I start analyzing them. It makes me question whether or not the hub is broken because the sprocket failed which caused a nonuniform loading or a side-load on the hub it wasn't designed for? Or did the hub fail based on loading from the sprocket and when it broke, the sprocket then failed? Which came first, the chicken or the egg? If I was a betting man, I'd go with the sprocket failing first and taking the wheel hub along with it in the aftermath.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 57 Old 01-31-2018, 09:40 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Those pictures make me cringe.
I wouldn't touch those sprockets with a 9 ft. pole.
post #43 of 57 Old 01-31-2018, 12:35 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

That Superlight Steel design pictured above hasn't been around for many years. That was like the first steel design they ever did. I don't even think they still use the same company that did those original ones.

The cracked one with the thin spines is also an outdated model. They no longer have that lower shelf. The current ones are all the same thickness across the flat of the sprocket.

Out of the hundreds and hundreds of the newer styles of Superlight Sprockets I have sold I have only seen a couple of them actually fail. One of those cases it WAS 100% a problem with the cush drive carrier bearing being totally worn out causing the hub to flex and bend the sprocket to failure. The other had the Countershaft sprocket backwards so....

post #44 of 57 Old 01-31-2018, 01:39 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
That Superlight Steel design pictured above hasn't been around for many years. That was like the first steel design they ever did. I don't even think they still use the same company that did those original ones.

The cracked one with the thin spines is also an outdated model. They no longer have that lower shelf. The current ones are all the same thickness across the flat of the sprocket.

Out of the hundreds and hundreds of the newer styles of Superlight Sprockets I have sold I have only seen a couple of them actually fail. One of those cases it WAS 100% a problem with the cush drive carrier bearing being totally worn out causing the hub to flex and bend the sprocket to failure. The other had the Countershaft sprocket backwards so....
Thanks for more clarification on that! It's interesting to hear that the failed sprockets were secondary to the other issues. It's still a bit concerning to see the sprocket fail catastrophically like that even with the other malfunctioning parts. But that's the way it goes and all bets are off in those cases.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #45 of 57 Old 01-31-2018, 05:04 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
A debate on weight!always interesting!Dymag supply a Aluminium rear sprocket with their cf rims,but you will drop weight using a Aluminium rear sprocket or hope!but with everything you don't get anything for nothing as you will replace them more often than a quality steel!as for a 520 conversion over 525 another weight saving if quality parts are used!I was only talking to a gen4 owner a couple of days ago who runs a 520 set up and was having problems with wear and having to replace sprockets!he noticed that after he replaced the chain and rear sprocket(number 3 rear sprocket)that when he spun the rear wheel up the chain and sprocket wasn't running true(maybe a problem for some time)!now he does give his bike a hard time and would stress any part!he is now replacing the rear carrier(I get a feeling the bearing in the carrier is worn after 20000 hard miles)and going back to 525 set up!see again you get don't get anything for nothing!even replacing axles with lightweight ones will create problems for me for sure but it's a risk I choose to take!I think if buy something for any performance gain there is always something that you will loose compared to oem!its either more $ and wears quicker!if you purchase something thinking it's the "ducks nuts"having no draw backs is like pissing into the wind!
Sebastian1000 likes this.
post #46 of 57 Old 01-31-2018, 07:01 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtradamus View Post
SuperSprox!
Curious as to what the deal was with that supersprox. Was it high mileage wear, improper heat treatment, etc.... I've only seen that happen on sprockets with high mileage or someone neglecting their chain maintenance. My only experience with supersprox is the one on my 2004 gsxr600. It was one of the old tri-metal sprockets. It has a lot of miles on it and hardly looks worn.
post #47 of 57 Old 01-31-2018, 07:10 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp12 View Post
Why make a 2 piece sprocket, why make a light steel one....???

Why????

Bad ideas, even with good engineering are a bad idea.
If a two piece sprocket is designed correctly I don't see a problem. if a 1000 piece sprocket is designed correctly I don't see a problem. Same for a lightweight steel sprocket. Bad is bad...good is good. The right engineering makes all the difference especially in an industry where it is a constant evolution of lighter and stronger ad infinitum. No?

How many pieces did a carbon fiber frame or subframe or fork or swingarm start out its life as? I just watched a video on the making and designing of the Britten V1000 and he was talking about how many parts he could make from his spool of carbon fiber...surely you see what I mean no?

Or BST/Rotobox rims, are those too many pieces? Or does the proper engineering make all the difference? And surely we can find pics of broken CF rims. That doesn't change how I think about the rims or the technology or the engineering. If it's done right I'll use parts made out of woven yak hair and banana peels.

BLACKSTONE TEK/BST FACTORY | BLACK GOLD | BlackStone Tek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V1000.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	411625   Click image for larger version

Name:	V10002.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	411633  
Attached Images

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2003 1500 Meanstreak Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
post #48 of 57 Old 02-01-2018, 09:13 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

That Britten bike is the perfect example. Notice how many parts the bike has that are still way ahead of their time.

Despite having access to damn near anything he wanted, look at the bikes rear sprocket and chain. Even when building a bike, from scratch, he did not feel the need to get creative with his chain and sprockets.
post #49 of 57 Old 02-01-2018, 10:05 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

good engineering can overcome a bad idea... but a bad idea still a bad one....
SpazOnaZX and rcannon like this.
post #50 of 57 Old 02-01-2018, 02:37 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Some people look outside the box granted and make advances!some people say "if it's not broke why fix it"I like the idea of something that works well!then is gradually improved in time with RnR!look at that Britten front end!obviuosly outside the box thinking!did MotoGP and WSBK think that is the future?maybe that front is a little over engineered but funny things happen!Steve Mcqeen would look at a late model race bike and say "who's the dickhead who put the front forks in upside down"!if we don't move forward and try a different method!design or way around something we are likely to be stuck in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.