Sprocket weights - Page 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 57 Old 01-25-2018, 01:45 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon View Post
I would agree with that, you did prove there is some weight savings. Its sure a lot easier to talk things over when someone had real weights and measurements available....thanks...

That shows its problem, if one looks at it that way, or its advantage.

For me, I would not be willing to have an 8 piece rear sprocket whos weight ended up in the middle of the group. I would much prefer the one piece sprocket. Aluminum if I decided light weight was where its at, or the lightweight steel if I needed big miles from the sprocket set.

Speaking of sprockets, this is from the Motus Motorcycles web site:

"The triple-sealed chain is guaranteed to last 20,000 miles whether you lube it or not. If you ever manage to wear out the rear sprocket, Motus will ship you a new one under warranty."

I wonder what sprocket brand they use?
This is what it boils down to for me, a sprocket should always be 1 piece IMO. Seb, its been so long, at least a few years since ive read threads on here about Supersprox but i distinctly remember that time and made such a strong mental note about it that i still feel strongly about - seems like i remember some being warped from the factory or something too...and yea i almost made that disclaimer that Hells rides pretty hard . All i know Seb is if its working for you i sure hope it keeps on, would sure hurt me/us to hear about any accidents. Plus, your points are valid and i totally get where yer coming from, hopefully you can come across some good evidence though.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

Also known to frequently drink and post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 01-25-2018, 02:53 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx View Post
This is what it boils down to for me, a sprocket should always be 1 piece IMO. Seb, its been so long, at least a few years since ive read threads on here about Supersprox but i distinctly remember that time and made such a strong mental note about it that i still feel strongly about - seems like i remember some being warped from the factory or something too...and yea i almost made that disclaimer that Hells rides pretty hard . All i know Seb is if its working for you i sure hope it keeps on, would sure hurt me/us to hear about any accidents. Plus, your points are valid and i totally get where yer coming from, hopefully you can come across some good evidence though.
Yeah when I was looking for threads I was looking back to 2012 or so ...been quite a while. Geez I forget I have been a member here so long I was finding conversations I had back then I completely forgot about. But I guess that was why I was asking for real evidence because on this forum (and others) I have read some very negative reactions to the sprocket...people with very (angry?) responses to running them. But I just haven't seen much of the real evidence to support that response. I am not saying that the evidence doesn't exist but I sure would like to see it. I would think with so many having such a response that the evidence should be plentiful. Even in this thread however there have been statements made that have been proven false. So I have to ask myself why that is? What am I missing?

I sure hope it keeps working for me too Cap...you guys know if it goes wonky and shits the bed I will be here showing you all! (And probably crying about how come no one warned me!)
SkyDork likes this.

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2003 1500 Meanstreak Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
post #33 of 57 Old 01-25-2018, 07:13 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

My dad had a Nylon sprocket on his kz 900. It was branded "NEP". He bought it after we had so much success using the nylon sprockets, offroad. His idea of maintenance was zero effort, so the idea of not needing lubrication (???) was where its at.

The chain size on his old kz was #630. Massive, heavy, and his chains never lasted much more than 7000-800 miles. The chain quality was nothing like we have, today, and his countenance schedule was sketchy, to say the least.

Of course, cheaper Nylon sprockets were released, and those were EBC like junk. It gave the concept a bad name, and they soon disappeared.

I seriously though we would have seen some sort of crazy composite sprocket, by now. The technology has probably gone far enough to where that possible.
Attached Images

SkyDork and Sebastian1000 like this.

Last edited by rcannon; 01-25-2018 at 07:16 PM.

post #34 of 57 Old 01-30-2018, 09:14 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I currently have one of supersprox "stealth" sprockets on my 2004 gsxr600. It has a lot of miles on it and still looks to be in good shape. Obviously it's not lighter than a aluminum sprocket and it may be same if not just a hair lighter than the OEM sprocket. There are other steel sprockets out there that are lighter (superlite rear sprocket). In my recent search for a new sprocket, I have found reviews of these ultralite sprockets getting stress cracks in them. That's something I don't want to take a risk with.

Now with supersprox, what most don't know, they don't just make one type of sprocket. They have an all aluminum, all steel and the stealth sprocket. I've personally met Dj (Supersprox CEO) and discussed the history of his company along with how the Stealth sprocket came to be what it is now. If anyone remembers when they first came out, they called them the "Tri-metal" sprocket. The rivets were titanium. This is no longer the case. The rivets are now steel and the process in which they are "riveted" into the two pieces has changed as well. He acknowledged the problems with the titanium rivets and made changes to improve the sprocket. He even brought up the out of round situation and the changes they made to make sure that no longer happens. The stealth sprocket has gone through several revisions since it was first introduced.

I also talked with Dj about the "lightweight" steel sprockets. Supersprox makes an all steel sprocket as well. We got onto the subject of the "superlite" sprocket and he mentioned that they believe they don't use enough material to make that sprocket safe for larger displacement bikes. If you look at other brands of steel sprockets, they aren't as thin either. If you look at the attachment I added, this was one of a few threads I came across about the superlite sprockets cracking. I really wanted to go this route, but after seeing these, I don't trust them and would rather not take that risk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-01-30-17-06-13_1517353676333.png
Views:	12
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	411489  

Last edited by speed_freak91; 01-30-2018 at 06:12 PM.
post #35 of 57 Old 01-30-2018, 09:13 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_freak91 View Post
I currently have one of supersprox "stealth" sprockets on my 2004 gsxr600. It has a lot of miles on it and still looks to be in good shape. Obviously it's not lighter than a aluminum sprocket and it may be same if not just a hair lighter than the OEM sprocket. There are other steel sprockets out there that are lighter (superlite rear sprocket). In my recent search for a new sprocket, I have found reviews of these ultralite sprockets getting stress cracks in them. That's something I don't want to take a risk with.

Now with supersprox, what most don't know, they don't just make one type of sprocket. They have an all aluminum, all steel and the stealth sprocket. I've personally met Dj (Supersprox CEO) and discussed the history of his company along with how the Stealth sprocket came to be what it is now. If anyone remembers when they first came out, they called them the "Tri-metal" sprocket. The rivets were titanium. This is no longer the case. The rivets are now steel and the process in which they are "riveted" into the two pieces has changed as well. He acknowledged the problems with the titanium rivets and made changes to improve the sprocket. He even brought up the out of round situation and the changes they made to make sure that no longer happens. The stealth sprocket has gone through several revisions since it was first introduced.

I also talked with Dj about the "lightweight" steel sprockets. Supersprox makes an all steel sprocket as well. We got onto the subject of the "superlite" sprocket and he mentioned that they believe they don't use enough material to make that sprocket safe for larger displacement bikes. If you look at other brands of steel sprockets, they aren't as thin either. If you look at the attachment I added, this was one of a few threads I came across about the superlite sprockets cracking. I really wanted to go this route, but after seeing these, I don't trust them and would rather not take that risk.
Good to hear your insight about this. From the info I found (above) the Superlite is actually a little heavier than the Stealth sprocket. But yes those pics don't look so good. My comp is weirding out so I just went and got the pics from that thread:
Attached Images

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2003 1500 Meanstreak Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
post #36 of 57 Old 01-31-2018, 07:30 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

SuperSprox!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SS%201.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	411513   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS2.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	411521   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS3.JPG
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	411529  
post #37 of 57 Old 01-31-2018, 07:32 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Bad design loads the hub improperly thus the hub cracks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cracked%20hub%20072.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	411537   Click image for larger version

Name:	cracked%20hub%20071.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	411545   Click image for larger version

Name:	cracked%20hub%20070.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	411553  
post #38 of 57 Old 01-31-2018, 07:34 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Some more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	411561   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	411569  
post #39 of 57 Old 01-31-2018, 08:12 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Why make a 2 piece sprocket, why make a light steel one....???

Why????

Bad ideas, even with good engineering are a bad idea.
SkyDork and rcannon like this.
post #40 of 57 Old 01-31-2018, 09:22 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

In no renthal fan. Ive found their sprockets to be trash....I still believe two piece sprockets are a bad idea, as well.

However, I think Renthal did a better job on their two piece sprockets. Maybe I mean "less horrible"..its hard to say.

I believe Renthal only has these for offroad bikes.

They were semi-light....their weight was right between a lightweight aluminum sprocket and a steel....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	twinring-blue.jpg
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	411577  
SkyDork likes this.

Last edited by rcannon; 01-31-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.