Sprocket weights - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 57 Old 01-24-2018, 07:36 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
I have personally held a Supersprox rear sprocket up in and was shocked at how much it actually weighs. I didn't put them both up on s scale or anything since I didn't have one with me at the time. But Supersprox in one hand, OEM in the other at the same time, and the Supersprox was noticeably heavier no doubt. Surprisingly so based on all the advertising they do for them.

I'll weigh the OEM and post it here shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sebastian1000 and Victors like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 57 Old 01-24-2018, 07:42 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Often times products can be a bad idea, and still work. Thats how it is with Supersprox.

They advertise as being lighter....lighter than what?

Its not. Its not lighter than a steel sprocket. Especially for the small 39 tooth stuff we use. Offroad, with more teeth, there can be some difference, but even still, its way heavier than aluminum.

As a rule of thumb, its usually a mistake to take a one piece item and turn it into something made from 8 pieces.

Skydork already gave the specific problems in post 12.
Victors and LDH like this.
post #23 of 57 Old 01-24-2018, 08:30 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victors View Post
You can Google them and see how many people havw had issues. They also had a known issue with a line of their sprockets and still kept selling them. Supersprox is one company I'd avoid for sure.
I keep seeing subjective and not objective definitiveness. I can probably do a search on nearly any sprocket and find people unhappy with them for some reason or another. So I guess I would be looking for a repeatable definitive defect. As for searching, yes I have already done as much. I am not trying to be deliberately obtuse or defend the product just because I bought one but I have found relatively few issues in my search as well as many many people who have ran them for long periods of time with no issues. They have been used in racing applications and off-road applications in varying motor sizes even larger than 1000cc for quite some time problem free.

I have never found any issues regarding rivets breaking. I did find a couple forums that had abbreviated issues: One was premature wear. Another with possible out-of-round. And a few others...relatively speaking anecdotal and not conclusive especially when referencing other pertinent factors like the possibility of installation error, not replacing as a set, the fact that they are wear items that have a direct relationship to the user or abuser in some cases, problems with the motorcycle elsewhere that lead to the issues presented in the sprocket...etc. The forums threads with this info were abbreviated and just threw out bad ju-ju and then fell flat. Maybe I take it less consequentially serious because I have one and it is still like new with no issues what-so-ever. That would be fair.

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2003 1500 Meanstreak Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R

post #24 of 57 Old 01-24-2018, 08:45 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
I have personally held a Supersprox rear sprocket up in and was shocked at how much it actually weighs. I didn't put them both up on s scale or anything since I didn't have one with me at the time. But Supersprox in one hand, OEM in the other at the same time, and the Supersprox was noticeably heavier no doubt. Surprisingly so based on all the advertising they do for them.

I'll weigh the OEM and post it here shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you I do appreciate you taking the time to weigh the oem sprocket for me! I can also see how some of their claims seem optimistic or even a bit dubious. They are claiming 300% extra life and up to 50% less weight. I would be very curious to know what they were comparing them to specifically.

I can also say that I have already found weights on some of their stealth sprockets for example:

https://motowheels.com/i-6920620-sup...lack-only.html

BST/Marchesini/OZ Sprocket Type Weight (lbs) Weight (grams)
Afam Workslite Rear Sprocket 520-43 10.3 oz 292
Afam Rear Sprocket 520-43 11.5 oz 327
Driven "Alum" Rear Sprocket 520-43 11.4 oz 324
Superlite Black Steel Rear Sprocket 520-43 1 lb 8.1 oz 684
Superprox "Stealth" Rear Sprocket 520-43 1 lb 7.5 oz 666

So in this comparison they are heavier than the aluminum which we all knew but slightly lighter than the steel superlite sprocket. I have also found where a person weighed their oem steel and compared it to their stealth sprocket. While not a huge weight saving for this example, nevertheless it was in fact lighter than his oem steel sprocket :

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic...t-weight-loss/

Again I appreciate you taking the time.

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
post #25 of 57 Old 01-24-2018, 08:50 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon View Post
Often times products can be a bad idea, and still work. Thats how it is with Supersprox.

They advertise as being lighter....lighter than what?

Its not. Its not lighter than a steel sprocket. Especially for the small 39 tooth stuff we use. Offroad, with more teeth, there can be some difference, but even still, its way heavier than aluminum.

As a rule of thumb, its usually a mistake to take a one piece item and turn it into something made from 8 pieces.

Skydork already gave the specific problems in post 12.
I agree it is fair to say that the larger the sprocket the larger potential for weight savings but I have in fact already found comparisons with weight savings shown when compared to another, "light" steel sprocket. I also agree that it is of course heavier than aluminium as that was never a point of contention.

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
post #26 of 57 Old 01-25-2018, 08:54 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I would agree with that, you did prove there is some weight savings. Its sure a lot easier to talk things over when someone had real weights and measurements available....thanks...

That shows its problem, if one looks at it that way, or its advantage.

For me, I would not be willing to have an 8 piece rear sprocket whos weight ended up in the middle of the group. I would much prefer the one piece sprocket. Aluminum if I decided light weight was where its at, or the lightweight steel if I needed big miles from the sprocket set.

Speaking of sprockets, this is from the Motus Motorcycles web site:

"The triple-sealed chain is guaranteed to last 20,000 miles whether you lube it or not. If you ever manage to wear out the rear sprocket, Motus will ship you a new one under warranty."

I wonder what sprocket brand they use?
Sebastian1000 likes this.
post #27 of 57 Old 01-25-2018, 08:55 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian1000 View Post
I can also say that I have already found weights on some of their stealth sprockets for example:

https://motowheels.com/i-6920620-sup...lack-only.html

BST/Marchesini/OZ Sprocket Type Weight (lbs) Weight (grams)
Afam Workslite Rear Sprocket 520-43 10.3 oz 292
Afam Rear Sprocket 520-43 11.5 oz 327
Driven "Alum" Rear Sprocket 520-43 11.4 oz 324
Superlite Black Steel Rear Sprocket 520-43 1 lb 8.1 oz 684
Superprox "Stealth" Rear Sprocket 520-43 1 lb 7.5 oz 666
OK, so here's what I found last evening.

The OEM steel Sunstar 39T rear sprocket weighs in at 25.55oz. That equates to a total of 1.596 lbs or 724.2 grams depending on what measurement system you prefer.

You can make inferences of this stuff and see that the ones quoted above don't match up apples-to-apples. The stock chain size on the ZX-10R is a 525. The 525 is a wider chain than the 520 which makes the sprockets thicker also.

So in the above specs the 39T OEM sprocket at 1.6 lbs is slightly smaller, but thicker than the Supersprox 520 at 43T. As you can see though, there's no discernible weight savings between the steel choices and the Supersprox claims of weight savings is BS.

Use this information as YOU see fit!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sprocket small.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	605.7 KB
ID:	411281  

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Last edited by SkyDork; 01-25-2018 at 10:03 AM.
post #28 of 57 Old 01-25-2018, 09:35 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I saw a comparison, (Im not going to look for it), simply put... that crap supersprox was heavier than the steels...

I use Al in 525, they need maintenance...
post #29 of 57 Old 01-25-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Interesting. I found another weight that someone gave for 1.9.5 for the stock. Hmm
Sebastian1000 likes this.

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
post #30 of 57 Old 01-25-2018, 01:40 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
OK, so here's what I found last evening.

The OEM steel Sunstar 39T rear sprocket weighs in at 25.55oz. That equates to a total of 1.596 lbs or 724.2 grams depending on what measurement system you prefer.

You can make inferences of this stuff and see that the ones quoted above don't match up apples-to-apples. The stock chain size on the ZX-10R is a 525. The 525 is a wider chain than the 520 which makes the sprockets thicker also.

So in the above specs the 39T OEM sprocket at 1.6 lbs is slightly smaller, but thicker than the Supersprox 520 at 43T. As you can see though, there's no discernible weight savings between the steel choices and the Supersprox claims of weight savings is BS.
I am not prepared to say that. We have already looked at weight savings above against other lightweight steel options. That savings would only increase when comparing against the oem counterpart right? Unless you guys also think that the lightweight steel options are also heavier than the oem offerings? I doubt you think that right? Possibly the amount of weight saved isn't on par with what might be expected but as was already asked about above I wonder what they specifically referenced when they made their initial claims. But a weight savings is a weight savings regardless (i'm thinking of peters "trading money for weight thread" now lol) and I am confident that assuming same size and pitch that my stealth will in fact be lighter than an oem equivalent as well as some of the light steel options. I am trying my best to stick to fact based and not emotion based arguments. I appreciate the weighing. I think it is good evidence and appreciate the effort.

I think my next chain and sprocket set will be a 520 instead of the current 525 and probably aluminium instead of steel...but I am not going to chuck my current setup until it is worn out. At this rate I am going to have it for quite some time. I have not seen any evidence that the rivets have ever failed. I have never seen evidence to issues exclusive to this sprocket indicative of a specific repeatable defect. I have read bad ju-ju...and again it has kinda fallen flat. Not as light as you think it should be? OK. Too expensive for what it is? OK. :shrug

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1276030117558.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	411289  

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.