Sprocket weights - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 57 Old 01-24-2018, 03:57 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Hey Victors, I get what you're attempting to do here, but let's lay this out logically.

You've already written of the most easiest and simplest ways to proceed with the best results. You've said no aluminum, no 520 conversion, and not stock. So the difference in the steel options are likely only to save you a fraction of an ounce. And that small of a size would mean the rotational weight savings are negligible at best.

Given those limitations, find the smallest size sprocket to shorten the rotational weight and just drill a bunch of lightening holes in which ever one you can find the cheapest! Oh, and stay far away from Supersprox.
What's wrong with Supersprox?

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2003 1500 Meanstreak Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 57 Old 01-24-2018, 04:06 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian1000 View Post
What's wrong with Supersprox?
A lot. They are significantly heavier than a normal all-steel sprocket. That includes both the OEM sprocket as well as aftermarket ones. The fact that they rivet the steel teeth to an aluminum hub makes them more prone to failure as the rivets can break. At least one member on here had one fail in this exact way and caused significant damage to the bike and motor. On a high HP machine like ours, that's something to be concerned about.

About the only thing they have going for them is the 2-tone color. If you're into that sort of thing. But in terms of actually using the sprocket for it's intended use, there are a lot better and cheaper options available!

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #13 of 57 Old 01-24-2018, 04:16 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
A lot. They are significantly heavier than a normal all-steel sprocket. That includes both the OEM sprocket as well as aftermarket ones. The fact that they rivet the steel teeth to an aluminum hub makes them more prone to failure as the rivets can break. At least one member on here had one fail in this exact way and caused significant damage to the bike and motor. On a high HP machine like ours, that's something to be concerned about.

About the only thing they have going for them is the 2-tone color. If you're into that sort of thing. But in terms of actually using the sprocket for it's intended use, there are a lot better and cheaper options available!
Pretty sure one of them was Hells....Hellsrazor that is! I might buy a Vortex before a Supersprox, thats how bad, both belong in a melting cauldron though.

A good tuner...can make a dyno say anything it wants.

We will all die but only a select few of us will ever truly live.

post #14 of 57 Old 01-24-2018, 04:23 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx View Post
Pretty sure one of them was Hells....Hellsrazor that is! I might buy a Vortex before a Supersprox, thats how bad, both belong in a melting cauldron though.
Yup, that's the guy! I didn't want to post his username since I didn't think that was necessary to make my point about them. But that's the one I was thinking about also!

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #15 of 57 Old 01-24-2018, 04:35 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:

Who was that hellsrazor? He had the actual rivets break? Have you seen weight comparisons against conventional all steel sprockets you could point me to? I would appreciate it. iirc they have been used on all types of bikes successfully with even larger than 1000cc applications and when doing a search for failures I am not getting much for results.

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
post #16 of 57 Old 01-24-2018, 04:37 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Yup, that's the guy! I didn't want to post his username since I didn't think that was necessary to make my point about them. But that's the one I was thinking about also!
I will have to look for the thread here I do remember something vaguely from quite a while ago

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
post #17 of 57 Old 01-24-2018, 05:08 PM
Gen 5 Now!!

Posting Frequency

SuperLite sprockets!!!! https://www.drivesystemsusa.com/bike...et-sku-16610r/
Victors likes this.

GEN 5!!!

post #18 of 57 Old 01-24-2018, 06:15 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx View Post
I keep hearing how bad the sprocket is. I just don't see much in the way of actual evidence to support that assertion. Heavy? OK. Heavier than aluminium for sure no one is doubting that as it is part steel. Heavier than all steel? Sure heavier than some of the new "ultralite" type ones but compared to a conventional oem type? Rivets can break sure just like teeth can shear off amongst other issues not exclusive to this sprocket. However I am not aware of a supersprox ever breaking at the rivets that are forged into the sprockets. Can anyone help me out here?

Now don't get me wrong hells is a cool dude I like him and it is not my intention to disparage him in any way but he is what I would consider especially hard on his bike. After searching through all the threads he started I cannot find the one specifically about the supersprox he ran, only previous posts in other threads that I posted in referencing the supersprox he destroyed. But I did find him smoking tires, rims, bearings, multiple sets and brands of sprockets, blowing up hubs, looping his bike, etc. Again not hating in the slightest but he has had issues with his bike that are not often repeated elsewhere due to his specific hard use.

So it is not my intention to threadjack but if there is good evidence out there that shows the rivets breaking or repeated failures I would appreciate a heads up and maybe some links? I own one of these sprockets and it still looks like new. It's fair to say that maybe that's not saying much but if I have a grenade waiting to happen I would appreciate the evidence. Help a brother out here people
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4030021.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	411273  

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
post #19 of 57 Old 01-24-2018, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
You can Google them and see how many people havw had issues. They also had a known issue with a line of their sprockets and still kept selling them. Supersprox is one company I'd avoid for sure.

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
post #20 of 57 Old 01-24-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08zx10rny View Post
I've tried contacting them for info but havw yet to receive a reply

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in