Ninja ZX10 2008 5th and 6th gear issue - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Ninja ZX10 2008 5th and 6th gear issue

hello to everyone...!

This is about a 2008 kawasaki zx10r, and it will be a good question for the experienced users.

well, it happens that running the bike from 1st to 4th, everything stays cool, no issues at all...

when i am on 5th or 6th gear, if i am revin“it in the highway and hiting top speed as well no trobe at all...

but if i am on 5th or 6th gear and try to cruise like 5000 or 6000rpm, with throttle stay, bike suddenly starts to loose (lack) power like 500rpm and then you feel a pull and it goes back to normal... few seconds later the same thing and so on... rpm“s go down like 500 and them up ...

i thought i had a bad exhaust valve, so i took it off and installed a ESE ( healtech) so the fi does not comes on. bike stays the same...

one more strange thing, is that when i stop the bike i can ear a wisle from the tank and if quickly i open the tank cover it shuts off ...all the tubes under the fuel tank are correctly installed ...

what do you guys think...?

anyone ever pass through this...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 02:56 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I've experienced that loss of power issue as well but don't know what it is. Sorry i cant help you on this one. Good luck maybe let us know what it is if you find out the issue.
post #3 of 39 Old 09-29-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Exactly the same symphtoms...?

post #4 of 39 Old 09-30-2017, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Apparentelly from what i am seeing, it seems like this 9×2 oring is not in a good shape and it might be loosing pressure through it and that explains the witsling on thr fuel tank after stopping it.

I will also replace the fuel filter, although kawasaki does not sells this part alone, i have been doing the same on a Gsxr 1000 2007 and find out they are the same.

Any help would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170930_112934_1506770008061.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	404690   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170930_112924_1506770113337.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	404698  
post #5 of 39 Old 09-30-2017, 08:04 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

This is a longshot, but where are you from?

This is a common behavior if you have a euro spec bike with lambda sensor eliminators. At least for the gen 2, but I assume it is the same for gen 3. Happens after about 10-20 seconds on steady low throttle between 0-20% at cruise rpms (0-~7000). Typical highway riding. And only in 5th and 6th. The issue happens when the ecu goes into closed loop. If the stock lambda sensor(s) are not there, the ecu don`t like the lack of feedback from the missing sensors and will continue to richen up afr all down to 11/10:1 range and you will loose power, and rpm will continue to drop. The moment you twist the throttle a little it snaps back to normal.
michael4012 likes this.

I`m just in for the ride
post #6 of 39 Old 09-30-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

In fact i am from Europe.
But i do not have o2 sensor eliminators... the stock O2 sensors are plugged into place and working... no fi light on the dash... no service codes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170930_151748_1506781080643.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	526.1 KB
ID:	404706  
post #7 of 39 Old 09-30-2017, 11:46 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

From your description it sounds like you may have a blocked gas cap/gas tank vent tube. Even though the pipes are correctly installed, doesn't mean they may not be blocked. Try blowing compressed air through the lines to clear them.
post #8 of 39 Old 09-30-2017, 11:48 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Also, have you riding at a constant 5-6krpm in any other gears? Could be a bad throttle position sensor
post #9 of 39 Old 09-30-2017, 01:35 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroguerra21 View Post
In fact i am from Europe.
But i do not have o2 sensor eliminators... the stock O2 sensors are plugged into place and working... no fi light on the dash... no service codes...
Ok, it`s probably not the issue then. The stock o2 sensors are unlikely to fail.

However...the sensors could still malfunction without triggering any FI light. (at least for gen 2) As long as the heater element circuit in the sensor is not broken you will not get the FI, even if the sensor part is faulty. That`s why the o2 eliminators don`t work for anything else than getting rid of the FI light. They only close the heater element circuit. And that`s also why dynojet made the o2 optimizer later.

If you have a PCV on the bike you can datalog the injectors duty cycle/pulse width and see if they richen up the bike when the issue happens. Just to rule out faulty o2 sensors. I can tell you how.

Which brings another issue to mind. If you do have a PCV with stock o2 sensors in place and a single map for all gears, you can experience similar issues. In this case you must make an advanced gear map and zero out the closed loop area for 5th and 6th gear. (Connect and sync speed sensor or connect gear position sensor first).

If you have the issue in any other gear than 5th and 6th it is something else.

I`m just in for the ride

Last edited by GreenOne; 09-30-2017 at 02:01 PM.
post #10 of 39 Old 09-30-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOP Leader View Post
Also, have you riding at a constant 5-6krpm in any other gears? Could be a bad throttle position sensor

Yes, i have. No loss of power... no "flutuations" on the rpm... 1st, 2nd,3rd, 4th bike runs just great... 5th and 6th gear if i cruise like 5k or 6k rpm steady throttle it starts bogging... feels like your fuel is going end and then she wakes up... but if i run full throttle no trouble at all ( although i feel like she is not giving all that she can )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.