Gen 2: 2006-2007 New Turbo Project - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 197 Old 01-05-2014, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

New Turbo Project

...aka: The Baller on a Budget Build

Well, this project is starting to roll, so I'll post up progress as I go along. The short term goal is to have a 10psi, pump gas, water/meth injected set-up on a stock motor until something breaks, and then put in the mildly built (pistons, rods, clutch, valve springs/retainers) spare motor and run 16ish psi... again on pump gas and water/meth injection.

Being that I'm a broke-ass, I'm using my old supercharged bike as a base platform. It already has the fuel system and electronics to support 10psi... all I really have to do is modify the intake plenum, build a proper turbo exhaust, and clean up the look of the bike... I'll actually have my friend/airbrush artist paint the bike this time around. For the time being I do plan on taking and inch or two out of the ride height and going to a single side mount/traditional exhaust pipe....... no plans to stretch it or put an arm on it as of yet. Pictures to follow.... :)

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 01-05-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 197 Old 01-05-2014, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Oil filter relocation

After looking at my turbo, I decided that the stock oil filter placement wasn't going to work. Even if I wasn't a cheap ass, no one really makes a proper relocation kit for the 2nd gen.... so we fired up the machines and made a remote kit out of the stock pieces. Using good AN fittings, Aeroquip heavy duty push-loc hose, and using a spare housing the whole thing ended up being less than 100 bucks to modify. :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131122_165141.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	238705   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131122_172044.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	238713   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131126_182814.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	238721   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140105_163219.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	238729   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140105_163233.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	238737  

Name:	20140105_163246.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	238745  

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 01-05-2014 at 08:20 PM.
post #3 of 197 Old 01-05-2014, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Turbo placement

...I just happened to have a Disco Potato with a .86 A/R turbine housing laying around, so it fit nicely with the HP & budget requirements of the build. I'm using schedule 40 stainless to build a manifold this time, and using individual ports/runners instead of the one piece flange I tried on a different bike. The one piece flange was just a PITA to work around, heavy, and had sealing issues on the other bike. The flanges were cut on a CNC plasma and hand finished to fit the pipes nice 'n tight. Here are some picks of the snail where it's going to live in relation to the engine. With the very short runners and thermal barrier coating, I'm shooting for having full boost threshold at or below 5.5K rpm. :) Another great benefit is the fact that the turbo is high enough to not need a scavenge pump for the oil return, even with the radiator in the stock position & size.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20131229_114220.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	238761   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131228_182618.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	238769   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131214_142836.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	238777   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131229_131235.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	238785   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131229_131601.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	238793  

post #4 of 197 Old 01-05-2014, 11:24 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

post #5 of 197 Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Are you going to run progressive controller with the meth kit, that could probably help a lot with fueling since you're running power commander.
post #6 of 197 Old 01-06-2014, 02:41 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Oh damn this should be awesome. Whatre you doing with the rotrex?

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #7 of 197 Old 01-06-2014, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercoupe9 View Post
Are you going to run progressive controller with the meth kit, that could probably help a lot with fueling since you're running power commander.
Nope, just going to run it on a Hobbs switch @ about 5psi. Progressive controllers are junk when you're trying to use them to pulse a motor. I'm actually going to change to these guy's set-up soon: http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html . Seriously, read that page and learn some really, really good stuff about AI.

I'd like to ditch the power commander at some point and switch to better management. The Microsquirt is a little over my head at this point, though I'm sure I could figure it out if I had a good starting point. Really, I'm just trying to keep cost down as much as I can, and the powercommander stuff works, even if it is clunky. I may retrofit the PCV, but having to buy ANOTHER ignition module is holding me back from doing that. At that much I could almost get and FI/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op-
Oh damn this should be awesome. Whatre you doing with the rotrex?
It's probably going to sit in my garage until something comes along that seems like a bad idea to put it on. Maybe a quad or a cart or something.... who knows. :) I'd sell it all relatively cheap, but I doubt anyone would really buy it.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 01-06-2014 at 08:51 AM.
post #8 of 197 Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I wanted to use the rb racing for my meth kit to but at the time they had not produced their up dated setup yet n wernt selling r they selling the kits now or you jus know how to get hands on same parts they would use? Wut type of power u gonna get at 5 psi with turbo

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #9 of 197 Old 01-06-2014, 09:54 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazOnaZX View Post
Nope, just going to run it on a Hobbs switch @ about 5psi. Progressive controllers are junk when you're trying to use them to pulse a motor. I'm actually going to change to these guy's set-up soon: http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html . Seriously, read that page and learn some really, really good stuff about AI.

I'd like to ditch the power commander at some point and switch to better management. The Microsquirt is a little over my head at this point, though I'm sure I could figure it out if I had a good starting point. Really, I'm just trying to keep cost down as much as I can, and the powercommander stuff works, even if it is clunky. I may retrofit the PCV, but having to buy ANOTHER ignition module is holding me back from doing that. At that much I could almost get and FI/C.

It's probably going to sit in my garage until something comes along that seems like a bad idea to put it on. Maybe a quad or a cart or something.... who knows. :) I'd sell it all relatively cheap, but I doubt anyone would really buy it.
I can put a plug and play microsquirt together, I just have to order ecu plugs and vw ignition module.

For some reason running meth kit progressively sounded like a very good idea to me, it could handle some of the extra fueling under boost.
post #10 of 197 Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercoupe9 View Post
I can put a plug and play microsquirt together, I just have to order ecu plugs and vw ignition module.

For some reason running meth kit progressively sounded like a very good idea to me, it could handle some of the extra fueling under boost.
I have an extra harness.... send me a PM with some price figures and maybe I can make it worth your while! I don't mind doing the harness ends/plugs... it was more setting up the base tune, options, and software part that I was dreading. Seriously interested though...........

As for controlling it progressively: Yes it's a good idea, but doing it the way everyone in the industry does it by trying to pulse the motor or slow-moving solenoids is no good for accuracy. On top of that, it just adds another fail point in the system (I've already had one progressive controller act wonky on me). The ideal is to have it on full blast at peak torque/cylinder pressure and have it taper off slightly up top. It's an OK compromise to have it on the skinny side of the acceptable mixture and let it spray through the whole rev range like that. It'll be a little bit on the fat side (speaking for the required water measurement, not fuel) up top, but not so much that it'll cause any problems. Short of using a water-proof fuel injector or super-fast reacting water-proof solenoid controlled down to the .1 m/s, it's the best I can do. I've never even heard of a fuel injector/solenoid that won't corrode and go tits-up when exposed to water constantly.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 01-06-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
diy, fast, megasquirt, tuning, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.