Gen 2: 2006-2007 New Turbo Project - Page 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 197 Old 02-18-2014, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Mini-Update:

This shit is rapidly escalating out of the "budget" build IMO, but that's life I guess. Ordered a set of Crower rods and SS exhaust valves; but the ARP main stud kit, APE Ti retainers & spring kit arrived a few days ago. Crower apparently had NO inventory on hand, so they are giving me a 4-week ETA on the rods. Ouch. Well, I'll at least get it running on the stock motor. I'm looking into finding a bare head that I can build off the bike in the mean time, so I can have the "built" motor fully assembled and ready to drop in when the time comes (my other head has a freeze crack in it, and the one I bought from a member has a galled up cam journal. Boo Hoo).

Otherwise, parts are off to the coaters and it's just a waiting game for more parts to come in..........

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 197 Old 02-19-2014, 02:56 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazOnaZX View Post
Mini-Update:

This shit is rapidly escalating out of the "budget" build IMO, but that's life I guess. Ordered a set of Crower rods and SS exhaust valves; but the ARP main stud kit, APE Ti retainers & spring kit arrived a few days ago. Crower apparently had NO inventory on hand, so they are giving me a 4-week ETA on the rods. Ouch. Well, I'll at least get it running on the stock motor. I'm looking into finding a bare head that I can build off the bike in the mean time, so I can have the "built" motor fully assembled and ready to drop in when the time comes (my other head has a freeze crack in it, and the one I bought from a member has a galled up cam journal. Boo Hoo).

Otherwise, parts are off to the coaters and it's just a waiting game for more parts to come in..........
I remember when I tried the turbo project & spent way more than I needed too!
Do you by any chance know the ARP main studs part number? Thanks in advance :)
post #33 of 197 Old 02-19-2014, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

The main stud kit is labeled/sold by APE.... it's listed on their website. You may have to run a 10mm REAMER through the lower case holes though, depending on how well they line up.

post #34 of 197 Old 02-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
The main stud kit is labeled/sold by APE.... it's listed on their website. You may have to run a 10mm REAMER through the lower case holes though, depending on how well they line up.
Oh ok so APE kit is really an ARP kit! I have been trying to figure out which one it is, but I knew about the APE one...I thought maybe you figured it out :icon_wink:
post #35 of 197 Old 03-14-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

'nother mini-update

So, 'tis the season for frustration. Swaintech parts are still not here... apartently they only send out exhaust coatings once a month and I just missed a batch when I sent mine in. Pistons are done, but wating on the snail/header. For 7 weeks waiting, their shit had better look good. Rods are still en route, according to Dwayne/Crower I should see them in a week or two... they told him 4 weeks to make a set as they had no inventory on hand. Water/Meth kit from RB racing is still MIA. I did call them 3 weeks after putting in an order and the nice lady did tell me, "Yea we got your order, but he hasn't gotten around to it yet". From their webpage and reviews I know that's how they do buisness, so I'm trying not to get anxious about that.

More piss-poor news: Local machinist didn't have a pilot or seat cutter small enough to work on my head, so I sent it off to APE yesterday for the valve job (decided to bite the bullet and get SS exhaust valves). They tell me 4 weeks for a turn around. I'm starting to think this is the industry standard wait time for parts & services. Got a used head to build at a good price, but of course it had a flat lobe on the intake cam. :mod_smilie_hey_you:

As far as good news goes: Got a 3rd Gen intake cam from a member here at least, and it looks good. I'm toying with the idea of running 2 intake cams, but I'm going to do some more research first (thoughts and suggestions welcome here...). Stand alone should be in the mail today or tomorrow, that's going to be fun. I'll probably fire the bike up NA once I get that installed to dial everything in, and then just await the turbo parts/AI injection stuff last.

God I hate the waiting game.

post #36 of 197 Old 03-14-2014, 08:38 PM
Grease Monkey Bandit

Posting Frequency

Garage
How the heck did I miss this thread 😣? Subbed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

"Homewrecker" Gen3 custom build by ZX-SIK-R in progress.... check the build thread: http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f28/airb...ad-140226.html
post #37 of 197 Old 03-14-2014, 10:38 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Stupid question

If that important that the exhaust header have the same length or volume for each piston ?

When I Look to the header #4 are very long, #2 and 3 are shorter and #1 are shorter then #4. Maybe it's not important at all.

When you look at the Britten exhaust arrangement (it's not a turbo, but the bike made by the new zelander Genius) a lot of work was done to keep the length of the header equal.

Probably a neophyte question......

post #38 of 197 Old 03-15-2014, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Length -can- be important, but more in relation to pulse dynamics than anything else. You worry about length only so far as it collects with other primaries and causes pulse effects back up the length of the primary.... it's a balance of flow and timing those pulses for a desired peak torque range (read: cam timing), but it isn't all about length. Changes in diameter or sharp bends also create pulse effects.... Simply put, it's an insane amount of math to get it exactly where you want in an NA set up, but it can yield benefits if it's done correctly. In a turbo manifold it gets all mucked up... Backpressure ratios and heat energy delivered to the turbine wheel make a much larger impact than pulse dynamics, IMHO.

Packaging restrictions limit me here, and as neanderthal as it is I can just hold the wastegate closed a little longer to make up for any difference in power that it might make. For the most part, "equal length primaries" is just another hype/performance buzzword that really doesn't mean what people think it means. :) It's a good question, but it can't really be answered in less than 100 pages. If it's something that really interests you, though, I can recommend some good reading.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 03-15-2014 at 12:41 AM.
post #39 of 197 Old 03-15-2014, 10:22 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
So, 'tis the season for frustration. Swaintech parts are still not here... apartently they only send out exhaust coatings once a month and I just missed a batch when I sent mine in. Pistons are done, but wating on the snail/header. For 7 weeks waiting, their shit had better look good. Rods are still en route, according to Dwayne/Crower I should see them in a week or two... they told him 4 weeks to make a set as they had no inventory on hand. Water/Meth kit from RB racing is still MIA. I did call them 3 weeks after putting in an order and the nice lady did tell me, "Yea we got your order, but he hasn't gotten around to it yet". From their webpage and reviews I know that's how they do buisness, so I'm trying not to get anxious about that.

More piss-poor news: Local machinist didn't have a pilot or seat cutter small enough to work on my head, so I sent it off to APE yesterday for the valve job (decided to bite the bullet and get SS exhaust valves). They tell me 4 weeks for a turn around. I'm starting to think this is the industry standard wait time for parts & services. Got a used head to build at a good price, but of course it had a flat lobe on the intake cam. :mod_smilie_hey_you:

As far as good news goes: Got a 3rd Gen intake cam from a member here at least, and it looks good. I'm toying with the idea of running 2 intake cams, but I'm going to do some more research first (thoughts and suggestions welcome here...). Stand alone should be in the mail today or tomorrow, that's going to be fun. I'll probably fire the bike up NA once I get that installed to dial everything in, and then just await the turbo parts/AI injection stuff last.

God I hate the waiting game.
I feel your pain man. I spun a rod bearing at the end of last year so of course the crank needed a little attention and off to Marine it goes. The 4 week initial estimate was changed to 5 as soon as it was shipped, and we are now over 6 weeks and no crank :(

I also just talked to APE this week about getting a set of 25.5mm Gen1/Gen2 stainless exhaust valves cut down to 24.5mm (no one makes them for the Gen3). Last minute decision, and I still haven't heard back on the lead time. They said it would be a week before the valves even came in to be cut. So make for making the start of race season.
post #40 of 197 Old 03-16-2014, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

ID750 Injector Instaill

Yea, I guess tax season is the perfect storm: race seasons are about to start and everyone has money burning a hole in their pocket. Lesson learned: do projects before January next time if I have to farm work out.

Since I'm stalled on parts, I decided to to my TB mods. Removed the secondary shafts and epoxied the holes, and installed the shiny new ID750's. ID injectors only really come in two sizes, and the smallest body size is still a bit too long to fit the stock ZX10/ZX14 set-up. Easy fix is to put a couple small spacers between the fuel rail mount and the injector bodies (Red circles). Really simple (you could even use washers if you had to), and you can run the best injectors on the market. The connectors are different, but you can either put new ones on the stock harness or use pigtail adapters that a variety of people sell. Green circles show zip ties on vacuum nipples; this is almost a must on any turbo project once you start upping the boost.... you won't believe the sort of headaches this will prevent down the road.

Second shot is of the smoothed up TB's. Just used hi-temp JB weld (the kind you get as a putty stick and have to knead together). If you use gloves and a bit of water you can mold the stuff like pottery clay.... nice and smooth. Those plugs are flush with the holes and smooth, and all I had to use was water and a paper towel to clean the excess, though it does take a few minutes of shaping/smoothing/wearing the putty down with your fingers.

Lowered the bike too (1.125 front, 1.5 rear), but everyone has seen how to do that... no sense on posting pictures for a set of dog bones. The set of Evil Swing Arm links are nice pieces, though, and very inexpensive. They give you a 0"/1.5"/3" adjustment range as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ID750 install.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	252138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Expoxy holes.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	252146  

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 03-16-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
diy, fast, megasquirt, tuning, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.