Gen 2: 2006-2007 New Turbo Project - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 197 Old 01-19-2014, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Looks pretty. Is that something you built or tested by chance? Construction material? How well does it work? I love sharing info. :)

It's always neat to see how things are mocked up VS how they look as a final piece... hopefully my stuff looks as pretty in the end as it is functional. I have an advantage in that I'm not trying to make money on this, it's just my spare time invested in learning how to do this on my own. It may take longer to get to the finished project, but I get to say that -I- made it, and I get to learn some good stuff in the process.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 197 Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

PS That #1 header in the picture collects way off the edge of the interior opening of that t-25 flange, and that runner especially is starting to collect parallel to the flange. We're trying to get the runners in this on to collect more perpendicular to the flange to promote better flow.... again, it's an experiment on a budget. I'm anxious to see how well it works.

post #23 of 197 Old 01-19-2014, 10:39 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

None are mine. Def keep up posted with progress pics.

2016 GSX-S1000
08 10r Sold

post #24 of 197 Old 01-23-2014, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Well, it's in position. Now comes the fun part of working on all the aux plumbing before it goes off for coating. Going to have to alter the radiator fan bracket and lower mount a bit to clear the #4, but I think it's worth it to get the snail high enough to gravity drain... the shaft centerline is about 2" above oil level at the moment.......... hopefully that's good enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68460_10201940301522401_390952271_n.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	242249   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140122_192936.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	242257  

post #25 of 197 Old 01-23-2014, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

How to keep flanges from cracking: Good root/fusion pass (BACK-PURGE!), clean, fill pass, clean, and a nice weave to finish it up. Found out the hard way before that single pass welding on the flanges supporting all that weight don't last all that long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1621802_10201940302082415_69831128_n.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	242265  

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 01-29-2014 at 12:04 PM.
post #26 of 197 Old 01-23-2014, 09:24 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazOnaZX View Post
How to keep flanges from cracking: Good root/fusion pass (BACK-PURGE!), clean, fill pass, clean, and a nice weave to finish it up. Found out the hard way before that single pass welding on the flanges supporting all that weight way don't last all that long.
Fucking nuts! Damn fine looking job there man. Looks like youve taken some time with that badboy. The tools you have access to is the stuff of most mens wet dreams. Keep up the good work.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

Every fortress falls, it is not the end. It aint if you fall, its how you rise that says who you really are.
- QOTSA

"if you want to be told today to fk off let me no I can help"
- Peter
post #27 of 197 Old 01-23-2014, 11:56 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Whats that merge look like on the inside?

2016 GSX-S1000
08 10r Sold
post #28 of 197 Old 01-23-2014, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter View Post
Whats that merge look like on the inside?
Lots of work with porting bits is what it looks like. :) I'll snap some shots of it when it gets back from coating. But the backpurging keeps the weld looking pretty clean on the inside with good penetration. It's amazing the difference it makes.

post #29 of 197 Old 01-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I wish I had half the talent and knowledge you do on this.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #30 of 197 Old 01-23-2014, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I'm not quite the welder that my friend is on steel, and he did the welding/fitting on this one. If I practice it weekly I can get there, but it really is a perishible skill. As far as the knowledge goes, READ BOOKS. ;) Then go break shit and scare the hell outta yourself trying to apply it, heheh. Seriously though, if you can ever find a tuner or builder in the game that will let you pay them for their time and to show/explain stuff to you, it's worth every penny. That's the spirit of DIY in a nutshell.... sometimes it's not the cheapest or fastest way to knowledge, but it sure is the most comprehensive. Don't let people discourage you with "Guy X does it better like this" or "That's ugly" kind of talk, just try to do a little better each time you do it, and learn from mistakes (I have a few really nice ashtrays, and I don't even smoke....). Probably one of my favorite quotes was from RB Racing: "Just because someone goes fast doesn't mean you should do whatever you think they did. This path assumes they knew what they were doing, which isn't necessarily the case. Take this path and you will be guaranteed second place.". Hell, their whole "Racing Secrets" page is right on point http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/secrets.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
diy, fast, megasquirt, tuning, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.