Gen 2: 2006-2007 New Turbo Project - Page 18 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #171 of 197 Old 08-03-2017, 06:35 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Looks sweet man! Nice work. Definitely interested to hear how it does

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 197 Old 08-03-2017, 06:52 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazOnaZX View Post
...I honestly don't know. I was going to paint it, but the bike is so murdered out at this point that it makes a nice contrast... I think I'm going to clean it up a little more and give it that unidirectional brush finish.
Big fan of that, but either way it looks great!

The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.
post #173 of 197 Old 08-04-2017, 10:01 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have ?'s and comments lol

Those rearsets are super nice, i like the subtle anodized bits, thats what it looks like anyway.

Are those a type of slider on the front axle? Looks pretty solid!

What the blue plumbing i see? Part of the turbo? Or just part of the cooling system? Doesnt look like SAMCO stuff.

I see you dont like bar ends? You like those grips dude? They look stock!

How's the clearance of the fender? Does it smack the upper?

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

Every fortress falls, it is not the end. It aint if you fall, its how you rise that says who you really are.
- QOTSA

"if you want to be told today to fk off let me no I can help"
- Peter

post #174 of 197 Old 08-04-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

In order: :)

1) Those are actually cheap Chinese Arashi rearsets. Some duchebag on a FZ09 ran a red light and side swiped me a few weeks back, destroying my clutch cover and my 500+ dollar Sato's. These things are ok, but they are about 20% thinner/more flimsy than my old Sato's. I figured for the price (less than 150 bucks), I could machine anything that doesn't hold up. I really wanted more of a neutral silver color, but I figured they'd fade down to it eventually. :)

2) Those are actually camera mounts of my own design, but they would make good fork sliders in a pinch. :) Sucks to be the camera in that situation, though. Tapered, solid aluminium ends that self center in the hollow axle connected by a long rod/all-thread. Great sensation of speed video at that angle. :)

3) Blue plumbing is one of the 2 catch cans I have on either side of the bike. They sit up that high so that most of the liquid from crankcase vent hose (from the top of the transmission) can naturally drain back... if it can't drain back what gets stuck in the hose it will pool up and get pushed out in big globs when it gets into boost/heavy airflow. The system is a -10 hose from the vent, split into two -6 hoses that run up to little go cart catch cans packed with steel wool and an anti-siphon tube. They vent to atmosphere just under that blue fitting, and the air rushing through there at speed helps scavenge them. Well, that's my theory anyway... but they work like gangbusters and retain very little oil for what they are. :)

4) Stock grips for the win!! hehe, sometimes I run bar end mirrors if I need to be 100% legal, but I usually don't run bar ends at all... just one more bit of weight I really don't need. I'm not a fan of aftermarket grips really... they tend to be either too soft and smear in the Arizona heat, or are too hard and slippery;I'll wear out the stockers before I replace them.

5) Clearance on that fender sucks. At close to stock height (forks up about 12mm) it bumps the upper fairing under full compression, but it's really scary if you're trying to do a hard u-turn... those little 'horns' on that fender will catch the upper if it's compressed too far and it will try to throw you on the ground. A little notching on the inside of the upper would fix that, but I can just not do hard u-turns for the time being. :) If I want to lower the bike again, though, I'll have to notch the upper it in a few places to make it street safe.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 08-04-2017 at 12:53 PM.
post #175 of 197 Old 08-04-2017, 01:29 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Well all that just sounds swell to me!

Now about that getting thrown on the ground thing. We should all avoid that i think, no? You be careful on that beast.

And - you got sideswiped?! Guess it was pretty drama free? Or as much as it could be? Never saw a post about it. Hate to hear that though and glad it wasnt worse!

I like all that Sato stuff myself! Welp, for being cheapo chinese sets, they sure look the biz from where i sit.

Great place for cam mount!

Every fortress falls, it is not the end. It aint if you fall, its how you rise that says who you really are.
- QOTSA

- Peter
post #176 of 197 Old 08-04-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Yea, it was fairly drama free... no one fell down. I was turning left through an intersection on a green arrow, and the kid was turning right coming from the other direction (it is legal to turn right on red here, so long as you yield first). He saw me and wanted to show his ass a bit, and ended up sliding into the right side of my bike.... my slash cut actually put a nasty gash in his pretty Akropovic header (work that angle out in your head!). He got the bike stood up at the last instant, and his case smashed my right foot (Sidi Vortice boots for the win!!) into my clutch cover and bent all 3 plates on the rearset... the swingarm stopped them from snapping. It made the bike fishtail a bit, but we both stayed upright... good for him too, the fuckin' numpty wasn't even wearing a helmet. I caught it on said camera mount, actually, but it barely was barely even noticeable from that angle. The insurance payout was enough for me to fix the parts, get it painted, and pay off the new ECU purchase. :) Fuckin' foot hurt for a week, though.

Oh, and I'm careful.... but the irony of a turbo bike throwing you on the ground when you do u-turns rather than 140+mph wheelies is poignant indeed. ;)

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 08-04-2017 at 02:01 PM.
post #177 of 197 Old 08-04-2017, 03:54 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Damn, so it was a showoff huh? Showing off and slid into ya. Hope that lesson was learned - all of em!! I wanna practice wheelies but every time i want to, its not the place and i think "how bad will my pride hurt should i throw this bike down the street if i come down wrong?" No sense in showing off and every time i do - there are hot chicks that come out of the woodwork to laugh! That hurts the most, i think. Glad when it works out that there isnt much pain, you can ride away, maybe laugh about it later AND get a insurance check out of it.

And yea, was thinking of that same irony myself!

- QOTSA

- Peter
post #178 of 197 Old 09-14-2017, 10:00 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Is this that IAT sensor? Where can I find this metal sensor?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170914_220044_1505440854671.png
Views:	13
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	404226  
post #179 of 197 Old 09-15-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Yes, that is the IAT. It is an "open element", GM-style sensor, and they are available in all sorts of places.... I would recommend https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/sen...ssure-sensors/ for those. You can get them with pigtails or uncrimped connectors, and they provide calibration values for your stand-alone.

Stay away from 'closed element' sensors (like the stock sensor) for boosted applications. They do not react fast enough to changing air temperature to provide accurate timing/fuel trims.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 09-15-2017 at 02:56 PM.
post #180 of 197 Old 09-15-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Bonneville mini-update

So...figured I'd post a little mini update from the salt adventures. I am working on a better put together little 'short story', but a brief summary won't kill the mood, methinks.

We took three bikes to two, back-to-back events out on the salt. The SCTA (southern california timing association) put on Speed Week in early/mid-August, and the AMA/FIM put on Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials, usually reffered to as 'BUBs'. I was mainly there to crew and do data/tuning on the other two bikes (both are turbo-Harley Dynas, one with a partially streamlined body and the other nekkid), but I did get a chance to run the 10R at both events as well.

Speedweek was pretty much a disaster as far as track conditions were concerned. It was either wet and slushy, or super bumpy with soft/deep ruts all over the courses. I had to do several license control passes as a rookie, and that combined with really long wait times ate up most of my time. Even with the limited seat time and flat-out scary conditions, I managed to get up to my B-license with a couple of 177mph passes. The body-on dyna bike was the fastest sit-down bike of the event with a 212mph, so that was a small plus, but we couldn't back the run up the next day in the deteriorating conditions.... the cars out there were absolutely destroying an already bad track. Both harley exhaust systems broke as well (not my work, thankfully), so that ended the event for us. Still, it felt good to just make it out of that event without crashing. It was obscenely difficult, and utterly humbling.

BUB's happened after a week break, and they managed to get the course mostly fixed... and there are no cars at BUBS! The whole event was much smaller, but immensely more enjoyable. All kinds of cool shit was out there... too much to put here. But the all-bike event just has that brotherly vibe that made it really enjoyable. There we set 3 AMA records, one for each bike. The body bike had hurt the turbo, but still managed to limp out a 222mph average run on the short course. The nekkid bike put up a average 175mph new record (one pass the wastegate clip rattled loose, so we had a 160ish pass averaged with a 180ish pass where it was kinda working), but the exhaust fell the rest of the way apart and we couldn't bump it higher. I stripped ALL the faring off the 'ol ZX so that I could run it in an 'Open Class' (meaning NO streamlining, and they consider any stock bodywork to be at least partial streamlining) in the 1000cc blown fuel. I put up a 178 up/down on a 162 record... my first AMA record. Those passes where all I had time to do, and I never ran it any higher than wastegate pressure (just under 7psi). Honestly, I only ever got the bike WOT once for about 3 seconds on the last pass, otherwise it was always a part throttle spin fest (180mph exit speeds with 200ish mph rear wheel speeds). Without fairing on it that was a really motherfucker to do, but I think it had a high 180/low 190 in it like that if I could have got some more seat time and a little better track.... but I didn't want to mess up what I had right then, heheh. That, and my ass was BEAT! I need to get back into shape!

Anyway, it was a killer experience... and I'll be doing it again next year. I don't think this ZX will be going back out to the salt, but it will be haunting pavement venues when I get the time/funds. In the mean time, I have a few exhaust systems to build... and I going to make my own frame/chassis for a salt-only ZX powered abomination.... it's going to be a riot!
Duhastme likes this.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 09-15-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
diy, fast, megasquirt, tuning, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.