New to the AiM Solo (anyone else?) - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 Old 01-09-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

2 different things really. The Woolich logs engine related data, but doesn't allow you to see where and when it happened.

The AiM data allows you to see where and when it happened on a map. You can click on a point on a track map then look at a graph of say "TPS" and it will tell you what your TPS was at that exact spot.

It's completely different way of logging it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 01-10-2017, 04:01 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Wow, that is super sweet. That's an incredible tool to help you get better. Gonna have to put that on the need list for the next track bike.

post #13 of 27 Old 01-10-2017, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Absolutely! From what I see, they are REALLY popular on Karts too... Just sayin... lol

So you're familiar with PBIR, so check this out. I don't have any data from anyone else to compare to (yet...) so I have just been looking through my data to see what stands out. Now keep in mind, this was in intermediate, so traffic is the cause of some craziness... lol But it shows up on the data. This was a 1:27 lap, so not fast but can't wait to see it from a race.

As you can see at the top, this is turn 4 and 5.

Look at the bottom graph, lean angle. Realize that 0 (on the left) is obviously straight up and down. Anything above 0 is right and anything below 0 is a left (you can flip them if you wanted to).

If you look at T4 and T5, you can see I was NOT smooth through there at all, with all sorts of bobbing and weaving. Now, I know why in this case (there are so really bad riders in intermediate lol) but I could look at that and see that I need to commit to the corner and be far smoother. Now look at the TPS graph, look at where I come out of T8, long straight, right? You want to get to pinned as quickly as you can (from when you open the throttle), what's with the dips I have there???

I can change the graph to overlay them ontop of each other, turn on the TPS and both wheel speeds and I can see a spike in the rear wheel speed.

The rear tire spun up and it startled me, I let go of the throttle. Normally this wouldn't have bothered me, but when you're riding around in intermediate, you aren't expecting that! LOL But I can see where I made a mistake and need to correct it!

Never would have even thought about it had I not had the data, right?

post #14 of 27 Old 01-10-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Here is a video using the data from the SOLO.

I used RaceRender to sync the video. They aren't syn'd perfectly... There's is a bit of an issue with how quickly the video vs the data works together. So you have to adjust the "playback speed" to get them right. I didn't spend a whole lot of time messing with it considering it was an intermediate session. lol

But it was good for playing with the options.

So I added the following:
Speed both analog and digital. Min and Max holds
Tach both analog and digital. Min and Max holds
Gear indicator.
TPS bar (graphical bar and numerical)
Brake bar (you can't have brake pressure sensors with the Solo, but I think I can make the long_acc apply negative entries to the brake pressure bar to at least give an idea)
Lean angle both analog and digital (added min and max holds but they didn't work, I need to look at that.
The Accel/Decel uses the "Long_Acc" input to gauge.
G-Force graph with numerical output and a lap timer log that shows the current lap and highlights the best lap.
And a track map with the GPS speed highlights over the map. Red being the slower sections, green being the faster sections.

Duhastme likes this.
post #15 of 27 Old 01-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
Here is a video using the data from the SOLO.

I used RaceRender to sync the video. They aren't syn'd perfectly... There's is a bit of an issue with how quickly the video vs the data works together. So you have to adjust the "playback speed" to get them right. I didn't spend a whole lot of time messing with it considering it was an intermediate session. lol

But it was good for playing with the options.

So I added the following:
Speed both analog and digital. Min and Max holds
Tach both analog and digital. Min and Max holds
Gear indicator.
TPS bar (graphical bar and numerical)
Brake bar (you can't have brake pressure sensors with the Solo, but I think I can make the long_acc apply negative entries to the brake pressure bar to at least give an idea)
Lean angle both analog and digital (added min and max holds but they didn't work, I need to look at that.
The Accel/Decel uses the "Long_Acc" input to gauge.
G-Force graph with numerical output and a lap timer log that shows the current lap and highlights the best lap.
And a track map with the GPS speed highlights over the map. Red being the slower sections, green being the faster sections.

PBIR FTD (Int) test with Data - YouTube
Great video, did you change your gopro setup? There seems to be more vibration this go around and chatter, maybe the chatter is from the solo

Alot of cool information on there, would be cool to see a brake pressure reading to see where you start breaking and how hard. Also is there a min max hold value for the readings you have displayed? Like can you have it hold on the video the max g's pulled? lean angle?

Good looking video none the less as well as pretty darn cool to see the data overlay. Gotta keep clear of that traffic they were boggin you down hard out there
post #16 of 27 Old 01-10-2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhastme View Post
Great video, did you change your gopro setup? There seems to be more vibration this go around and chatter, maybe the chatter is from the solo
Yea, I had been using the "Ram Mount" style, but it loosened up, so I just stuck a stick on mount to the triple clamp, it turned out that the base I had in my case was a knock off of some kind. So it didn't fit really well. That's why you get the vibration. I've since tightened the RamMount so that should be solved. And now that I remember, I'm going to go order a few GoPro bases.

Quote:
Alot of cool information on there, would be cool to see a brake pressure reading to see where you start breaking and how hard. Also is there a min max hold value for the readings you have displayed? Like can you have it hold on the video the max g's pulled? lean angle?
Yea, I'd like to have the brake pressure too, but that would require moving up to say the EVO. Which is twice the cost of the SOLO. Say $1,400 vs $700. But then you could do suspension pots too... But I just can't afford that. So I'll go with what I got. lol

I have the min/max "holds" on there. But they aren't working for lean angle. They work for the speed and tach. So I'll have to look into that a little more. Not sure how the hold would work for the g-force since it's not 2 dimensional...

Quote:
Good looking video none the less as well as pretty darn cool to see the data overlay. Gotta keep clear of that traffic they were boggin you down hard out there
lol That won't happen until next month when we race at Homestead. I was in intermediate to work with a few students. So I really didn't have much of a choice. But it was still neat to see it.

I am coaching out there again this Sunday, I'm going to make Dwyer take my bike out for a session, just so I can look at the data and see how it differs. We have similar riding styles, he's just WAY faster! lol
post #17 of 27 Old 01-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
AiM has an engine data logging option. Different model, but with a cable it allows to plug into port under passenger seat (street) or port near dash (race).
post #18 of 27 Old 01-10-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapulask View Post
AiM has an engine data logging option. Different model, but with a cable it allows to plug into port under passenger seat (street) or port near dash (race).
That's the SOLO DL, that's what this is.
post #19 of 27 Old 01-10-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

The SOLO just does laps times, that's it. Current lap, best lap, etc...

The DL adds the data logging. It logs the following data:

post #20 of 27 Old 01-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Really nice to see lean angle and tps together like that. You can definitely see the little changes in both during 4 and 5. Btw a 1:27 in intermediate traffic is good I think. You better be on your toes when your riding in the meat grinder that is intermediate! Lol. I did see a few guys using them in the last kart race I did. REALLY nice over the long haul to see lap after lap in real time how your times are. It was a 6 hour race so consistency really mattered. I had to rely on really poor signaling from the pits. Lol.

Last edited by or10r; 01-10-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.