MWR WSBK Airfilter - Worth it? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 11-30-2016, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider
 
C3L1CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 461
Posting Frequency
 
MWR WSBK Airfilter - Worth it?

I know there are a ton of air filter threads out there but I was looking to see if anybody had any first hand experience with the MWR WSBK Airfilter? Before and after times at the track, dyno sheets, etc?

I'm trying to squeeze every little thing out of my gen 4 as possible and looking at doing some headwork this winter at some point. I think I have every other bolt on that can be done besides a full exhaust. I know archer had posted that he had good results with my searching but never saw any before/after comparisons to see if it made a difference.
Attached Images
    
C3L1CA is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 11-30-2016, 02:10 PM
GP Rider
 
mpp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,301
Posting Frequency
 
after speaking with Anthony, he reported huge change in AFR (leaner) betwen this filter vs the normal brands, and .2 vrs the HE one...

So there is to be gained, not much on dyno, but yes on the road.

last time I went to the dyno I was 187 with the HE, now Im 190, can be for the filter and could be for the tunning... I dont know.

All normal flashed gen4 have 178hp there.

email me, motoseteo@gmail.com
mpp12 is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 01-20-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider
 
C3L1CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 461
Posting Frequency
 
I've got one of these filters coming.

Hopefully come mid to late April I can have some dyno chart comparisons and some data from the drag strip comparing the WSBK filter and the BMC race filter. If anybody has newish/clean stock filter they'd like to donate I could use that to do a comparison instead of the bmc race.

After talking with the MWR guys they said to do the dyno comparisons that the bike will need to be tuned for the filter, so plan on getting my tune dialed in with both a stock or BMC filter then get my tune dialed in with the WSBK filter. Then go dyno, then swap out filters and the tune and re-dyno and see what she does.

Excited to get some real world data for this thing to share!
C3L1CA is online now  
 
post #4 of 20 Old 01-20-2017, 11:47 AM
GP Star
 
ZX10RArcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sometimes AZ, Sometimes MN
Posts: 2,749
Posting Frequency
   
One thing to note to really get the maximum out of these filters, you need to tune each individual cylinder. You likely won't see much on the dyno just tuning all four combined AFR to such-and-such:1, simply because it's not designed to work in a static nature setup. (Here is a good read from the MWR CEO: MWR and transparency) Now if you had some sort of faux ram air setup where you could correctly pressurize the airbox, you'd likely see something register on the dyno and more over a typical drop in filter ran with the same constraints.

The true test comes at speed though when the bike is being ran.

On my 2016 messing around with it during this past summer, running a section here in Mexico recording the AFR gauge on the bike and data logging I did the same route a few times over and over just doing WOT pulls. First was with the OEM filter (screen mesh removed as Kawi suggests in the race kit), coming home swapping over to the MWR WSBK filter and going back out without making any tuning changes I saw the AFR move by half a point once into 3rd gear. Additionally when I would go higher up in the gears I would see further changes of .2 gear to gear until 6th gear meaning I need to adjust the individual gear fuel trim tables to stabilize the fueling as I go up in the gearbox and counteract that change. Would I see that same thing on the dyno? Probably not. So the dyno is a good tool to tell you what the bike is capable of, but it sometimes doesn't give a complete picture.


:::NINJA EDIT::: Don't take your bike to Hitman either to tune; he just throws it on and runs tuning link and basically babysits the bike without doing any custom tuning. Better luck with Doug @ St. Boni or Kyle @ 2K (if you can get ahold of him).
C3L1CA likes this.

ME Motorsports, Inc. Exclusive North American Distributor of Woolich Racing products. Official MotoGyro Vision , Zeitronix, Brock's Performance, Core Moto and MWR filtration products vendor.
For a special ZX-10R.net discount on Woolich Racing products, please private message me!

|| Facebook || Website || 701.212.1130 || NorthAmerica@WoolichRacing.com ||

Last edited by ZX10RArcher; 01-20-2017 at 11:49 AM.
ZX10RArcher is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 01-20-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider
 
C3L1CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 461
Posting Frequency
 
Good info to know! I know the guy I talked to over at MWR said I would need to add a lot of fuel and need to add extra fuel to the outside cylinders.

I honestly don't have super high hopes for a huge gain on the dyno since there isn't air coming through the ram air like there is out on the road wide open in the higher gears. Based on what I've heard from you, this filter really shines up top when there is more air trying to move through the airbox.

I hope even if there isn't a huge gain on the dyno that even at the drap strip my trap speed will increase with the filter. Also hope it helps when doing some standing mile/mile and a half racing! Think that is where it will really shine in last part of the mile
C3L1CA is online now  
post #6 of 20 Old 01-20-2017, 12:50 PM
GP Star
 
ZX10RArcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sometimes AZ, Sometimes MN
Posts: 2,749
Posting Frequency
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3L1CA View Post
Good info to know! I know the guy I talked to over at MWR said I would need to add a lot of fuel and need to add extra fuel to the outside cylinders.

I honestly don't have super high hopes for a huge gain on the dyno since there isn't air coming through the ram air like there is out on the road wide open in the higher gears. Based on what I've heard from you, this filter really shines up top when there is more air trying to move through the airbox.

I hope even if there isn't a huge gain on the dyno that even at the drap strip my trap speed will increase with the filter. Also hope it helps when doing some standing mile/mile and a half racing! Think that is where it will really shine in last part of the mile
Exactly. I can't remember where I saw it, but someone on the forums here mentioned they put the filter in and gained a considerable amount of speed at the drag strip with the Woolich kit. I can't remember if it was in the main forums or if it was someone who followed up with me via PM. But he seemed pleasantly happy.

With the super aggressive gearing your running for the drag strip, it may throw those trims off but earlier on since you're coming into speed sooner. So you may need to adjust those trims in earlier gears as well as the later ones. Something to keep in the back of your mind there.

ME Motorsports, Inc. Exclusive North American Distributor of Woolich Racing products. Official MotoGyro Vision , Zeitronix, Brock's Performance, Core Moto and MWR filtration products vendor.
For a special ZX-10R.net discount on Woolich Racing products, please private message me!

|| Facebook || Website || 701.212.1130 || NorthAmerica@WoolichRacing.com ||
ZX10RArcher is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 03-23-2017, 09:36 AM
Squid
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 18
Posting Frequency
 
I have personally tested this filter in my bike back to back at the track. With gutting my intake tube and this filter i picked up 4-5mph at the strip. Was running 144-146 and now 149-151 consistently. Very impressed with the design of this filter. All i can say is it works. Huge gains from the 330ft up.
GSXRIntensity likes this.
Driver-311 is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 03-23-2017, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider
 
C3L1CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 461
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10RArcher View Post
Exactly. I can't remember where I saw it, but someone on the forums here mentioned they put the filter in and gained a considerable amount of speed at the drag strip with the Woolich kit. I can't remember if it was in the main forums or if it was someone who followed up with me via PM. But he seemed pleasantly happy.

With the super aggressive gearing your running for the drag strip, it may throw those trims off but earlier on since you're coming into speed sooner. So you may need to adjust those trims in earlier gears as well as the later ones. Something to keep in the back of your mind there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver-311 View Post
I have personally tested this filter in my bike back to back at the track. With gutting my intake tube and this filter i picked up 4-5mph at the strip. Was running 144-146 and now 149-151 consistently. Very impressed with the design of this filter. All i can say is it works. Huge gains from the 330ft up.
Awesome to hear!

Do you guys care to share what you did with fueling or how much you increased fueling to the 2 outside cylinders? I was going to ask MWR but if some guys from the forum could give me an idea that'd be awesome.

Hopefully getting my head back next week and then I hope I can get the bike back together and tuned by Mid/Late April for a track day or 2 in the cool air.

Fingers are really crossed for a high 150 trap with the head work, filter and some mr12 :)
C3L1CA is online now  
post #9 of 20 Old 03-23-2017, 10:25 AM
Squid
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 18
Posting Frequency
 
Should be close.
Driver-311 is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 03-23-2017, 11:15 AM
GP Star
 
ZX10RArcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sometimes AZ, Sometimes MN
Posts: 2,749
Posting Frequency
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3L1CA View Post
Do you guys care to share what you did with fueling or how much you increased fueling to the 2 outside cylinders? I was going to ask MWR but if some guys from the forum could give me an idea that'd be awesome.
I was just using combined AFR. This spring one of the projects on tap is to weld bungs to each cylinder on the header and tune both the 4th and 5th gens by individual cylinder. But until it gets warm and stays above 50 degrees here, I can't run the dyno and I want to build up a solid base map there first. That way I can then take the bike out and use the AT to trim the individual cylinder fuel maps at speed and then for each individual gear.
C3L1CA likes this.

ME Motorsports, Inc. Exclusive North American Distributor of Woolich Racing products. Official MotoGyro Vision , Zeitronix, Brock's Performance, Core Moto and MWR filtration products vendor.
For a special ZX-10R.net discount on Woolich Racing products, please private message me!

|| Facebook || Website || 701.212.1130 || NorthAmerica@WoolichRacing.com ||
ZX10RArcher is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome