Must Have Starter Mods? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Must Have Starter Mods?

Looking at gettin a 2011 zx-10r and am trying to figure out what are the best must have and useful mods to put on it first. From a bit of reading a few thing I've picked up on a 16t front sprocket, aftermarket damper because the stock one isn't the best and larger grips because I'm a bigger guy with big hands so larger gris should be similar to the 1/5 throttle mod I've seen so much talk about.

What mods would you guys recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 09:32 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

1- FLASH
2-sprocket
3- slip on removes cat
4- free cut stock metal screen off oem filter. <----free and easy to do, does it help idk
SkyDork likes this.

2011 ZX10R
2012 FZ6R
2012 TU250X
2013 ZX6R
2017 GSX-R1000R
post #3 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 11:05 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Realpsi hit the list pretty much straight away.

As for the bigger grips, that's not anything like the 1/5 throttle. Bigger diameter grips will actually increase the distance required to open the throttle. It will do nothing to actually change the angle which is the purpose of the 1/5th turn insert which will re-cam the the throttle grip. Just putting bigger grips on the bike will only help you hands be more comfy.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #4 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Realpsi hit the list pretty much straight away.

As for the bigger grips, that's not anything like the 1/5 throttle. Bigger diameter grips will actually increase the distance required to open the throttle. It will do nothing to actually change the angle which is the purpose of the 1/5th turn insert which will re-cam the the throttle grip. Just putting bigger grips on the bike will only help you hands be more comfy.
So how can I get a 1/5th throttle insert? Most of the posts I see about it are from a while ago and you had to pm a guy who made them ans his website is gone.

Also the bike I'm lookin at already has a two brothers slip on. I'm hoping they removed the cat but I'll have to check.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 11:42 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by realpsi View Post
4- free cut stock metal screen off oem filter. <----free and easy to do, does it help idk
I can't imagine what the above means. Can you elaborate? Oil, air or fuel filter? Any metal associated with these filters must be there for the engine's health no? It takes a braver man than me to alter those systems.

Here's a list of "thrifty" mods to start:

- shim the rear shock by 6mm
- dial in the stock suspension for your body
- fender eliminator for the biggest visual improvement for your buck

Oh and I've been trying to reach Rifleman (the 1/5th turn insert seller) for a while now with no success so you may be out of luck there. I've read that a Yamaha R6 thottle tube is 1/5th turn out of the box and that Gixxer guys use them. Maybe they'll work on our bikes too.
SkyDork likes this.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #6 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 12:00 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have the R6 throttle on my Gen 4, works great. I'd rather buy the R6 throttle (it's cheap anyways) than have some rigged OEM throttle.
SkyDork likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 12:15 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
I can't imagine what the above means. Can you elaborate? Oil, air or fuel filter? Any metal associated with these filters must be there for the engine's health no? It takes a braver man than me to alter those systems.

Here's a list of "thrifty" mods to start:

- shim the rear shock by 6mm
- dial in the stock suspension for your body
- fender eliminator for the biggest visual improvement for your buck

Oh and I've been trying to reach Rifleman (the 1/5th turn insert seller) for a while now with no success so you may be out of luck there. I've read that a Yamaha R6 thottle tube is 1/5th turn out of the box and that Gixxer guys use them. Maybe they'll work on our bikes too.
A few good more posts showing up. I'll second the suspension mods. The rear shock is pretty weak in stock form, so that's a good start addressing that.

Rifleman is the guy for these inserts. He's out of pocket at the moment. And the R6 throttle should work. I have had a 1/5th turn insert that I bought a decade ago. Used it on my Gen 2 and then reused it on my Gen 3, Gen 4 and now my Gen 5. Works prefect.

As for the screen trick Realpsi was mentioning, it's just removing the metal screen from the stock air filter. The mesh screen is there to prevent chunks of foam from breaking free and going into the motor. But it restricts the airflow. Lots of people pull the stock filter out, remove the screen part of it, and put it back in the bike. The stock filter will flow more air than the aftermarket ones in this condition while providing more filtering as well. The thing here though is the filter must be replaced at known intervals and checked on occasionally. As the foam gets old, it gets brittle. As it gets old it will start to chunk sometimes. Without the screen there, the chunks go into the motor. So they should be replaced every 2 years at least. But they're cheap, flow more air, and filter better than the typical aftermarket gauze filters you buy (K&N, BMC, etc).

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #8 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Good suggestions everyone. I'll definitely look in to these things. Sounds like the r6 throttle is the way to go regarding that. Fender eliminator is already on the bike I'm looking at. Waiting to hear back from them any other mods that have been done. Any other suggestions? Where is the best place to have an ECU flash done? Guhl is one a lot of people have mentioned. I'm assuming I should get mods done and on before sending the ECU in to be flashed right?
post #9 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 02:15 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I think the Kawasaki race manual for this bike recommends removing the screen from the air filter. As of a month ago I removed the screen on the front of the ram air as well. <--- I like the look I do not expect any kind of performance gain.

2011 ZX10R
2012 FZ6R
2012 TU250X
2013 ZX6R
2017 GSX-R1000R
post #10 of 17 Old 08-25-2017, 03:10 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
SS brake lines, rider mod, adjust rider controls/ergos. rearsets for improved position/ergos. Quickshifter because its bonkers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.