2Likes
  • 1 Post By Twistedsocal13
  • 1 Post By SpazOnaZX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Max Speed H-bear rods

Anyone know anything about these rods good, bad or indifferent?

http://www.maxspeedingrods-store.com...-KAW-ZX10R.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 09:37 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

i have been running a set for about 3 years now........no complaints here.....many teardowns and retorques. :D

2004 ZX10R-few mods here and there......
and even made more Evil by Woolich.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-24-2014, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Nice to know,,,, But they are out of stock and will make (12 minimum order) of them for me. Anyone need a set of rods made?

post #4 of 9 Old 04-30-2017, 04:18 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
I know this thread is old but I got a set of these to go into my 05 build. Any news of failure or are they still holding up
post #5 of 9 Old 05-30-2017, 03:58 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Just an update. They are balanced within a gram overall and big end small end are same. Total difference max is .9 grams. Checked on digital scale freshly calibrated with weight limit of 1kg and resolution of 0.1 ie. 10ths of grams. Weighed each one and each end 3 times respectively. The pic has Sharpie weights written on them. I'm balancing my je pistons wrist pins and these con rods.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170530_122624_1496174170675.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	385.9 KB
ID:	399290  
badassjake likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-30-2017, 06:56 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Your rotating (big ends) are out over a spread of 1.0g there if your numbers are accurate (173.7g largest, 172.7 lightest).... that's about 3x more than I would allow for a precision balance effort. Easy to fix, and worth fixing. The reciprocating weight really only counts for about 50% (the little end/piston assembly), but the rotating weight (big end, bearing, crank) are 'weighted' at nearly 100%.... you'll want that as close as you can manage for balance purposes. When I was doing pedestrian stuff (not high performance) the target was .5g weight match on both ends with total imbalance < .5oz/in. On race car stuff I'd like to see .25oz/in, which usually meant getting parts < .3g from one another.... and that was on bobweights that were at least 3 times as heavy as what you're working with there. The uber-short stroke on these motors helps a bit, but I'm a stickler for details.

With that said, I would be more interested in how round and close to spec the big holes are when torqued to spec... did you measure that by any chance?
Twistedsocal13 likes this.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 05-30-2017 at 07:04 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-05-2017, 05:39 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
When i took those pics i had just done a kinda half assed job at weighing them. This is the first time i have done anything this deep in an engine so its a learning process that has cost me more than it would have to just buy a new bike at this point which is why i went with rods other than carrillo. turns out you have to set up a fixed stand off sort of thing to set the end you are weighing on and then the other side needs to be semi fixed ie spring loaded but fixed as far as not being able to move horizontally but still with slight give vertically so a spring. this gives much more consistent and accurate readings. Lucky for me brake parts cleaner removes sharpie pretty easily. I got them all to within .3 grams on the little side and .5 on the big side. Hoping that will be close enough to keep it running smooth. Gotta run the engine up to LA on wed to have my shop owners friend spec it all with proper equipment and machine whatever needs it. I will try and remember to ask if they ended up having to machine the big end holes. That could be my issue. Everything seems to turn smooth and then kinda binds in one part of the piston travel. not sure if its from me not gapping rings correctly or big ends out of round. Ill probably start a new thread with my entire build if i find a lil extra time.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-05-2017, 09:53 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

post #9 of 9 Old 06-12-2017, 12:44 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
I've seen that. Doesn't really get into the rod quality or specs much. I really should have recorded my whole run through of them. The builder I handed the engine over to is supposed to take it to machine shop this week so hoping he remembers to get the info I requested on the rod specs. I can tell you that they weigh more than one and that from visual inspection they look nice. Not much more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.