Gen 4: 2011-2015 How to swap wiring harness? Difficulty? Time? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By gaz
  • 1 Post By Porschenut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-22-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

How to swap wiring harness? Difficulty? Time?

Hi guys,

I have an electrical fault that causes my cluster to turn into a Christmas light show and one of my theories is a faulty wiring harness.

How hard would it be to swap out a harness with an identical one? I'm wary because I've had my airbox off a few times for a valve adjustment, ECU flash, plug replacement etc. and noticed that the harness is crammed in pretty tightly around the head.

I have another valve adjustment coming up as well as a radiator flush so it would be a pretty good time to tackle a harness swap.

Any tips, tricks or insight into a swap is much appreciated! FYI, I have an ABS model with the mechatronic steering damper.

Cheers

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-23-2017, 08:04 AM
gaz
Squid

Posting Frequency

seen that before, usually a ground fault problem. check the common system ground box attached to the end of the neg battery cable. plastic rectangular box taped up in wiring harness that u pry open to inspect, water/corossion usually culprit. main harness replacement not as bad as appears. just unplug main harness only leaving all subharness in place. i always unplug and start at ecu(dont want to damage any ecu pins tugging old harness ), start back there with new harness unplugged at ecu but located by tie wraps. locate main harness in frame and just replug as u go. things pretty much fall in place with subharness connections by plug shape and length. fairings off figure about 3-4 hrs remove/replace being careful. there are one or two plugs on most bikes that dont plug up to anything, mark/note them as confusing looking for connection not there.
Capncalyx likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-23-2017, 10:04 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Take photos before detach, helps routing back later.

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-28-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks fellas!

The last time I had the airbox off I actually wondered if that plastic rectangular box might be the problem but Kawi tapes it up so well I figured there was no way that moisture could get in there. I also thought it'd be a supreme pain to tape back up properly so I never split it open. This time I'll try that.

The photo idea is great one. I generally tape up the connections with masking tape on either end and mark the tape with the same number and that way I just match the numbers when I put it back together. It also helps to keep my connections clean since I ride my bike in the rain a lot and it's pretty grimy in the recesses where the wiring tends to reside.
Capncalyx likes this.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #5 of 5 Old 12-28-2017, 12:39 PM
gaz
Squid

Posting Frequency

had a couple of those ground connections go bad inside that box on zx10's. one corossion, the other a burnt wire. box on left just behind small tank fairing cover, not bad to untape , open, reseal. must mention had a 929 honda last year not cranking and dash lights/blinkers all crazy..had a similiar box located under headlight in front fairing causing problem, found it by wiggling/pulling wiring harness in that area and everything cleared up harness pulled in certain position. good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.