How To: Fork Seal Replacement - Page 5 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 80 Old 06-27-2011, 02:25 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

thanks garth, 12k on em' and the right side is leaking. time to have a me saturday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 80 Old 08-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Just a little point...there's no need to strip the cartridge...leave tension on the spring ie top cap on....impact wrench on the bottom cap screw and undo..pull apart and do the seals...pump it out and replace oil by volume
post #43 of 80 Old 06-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludite100 View Post
Just a little point...there's no need to strip the cartridge...leave tension on the spring ie top cap on....impact wrench on the bottom cap screw and undo..pull apart and do the seals...pump it out and replace oil by volume
How do you get the oil level set right?

post #44 of 80 Old 06-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I just finished mine. I stripped them down using this write up + service manual. So far so good!
post #45 of 80 Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the write up!
I have a few questions.
1. Did you removed the allen bolt out of the bottom of the inner tube as per the manual spec? 2. Did you use the slide hammer effect to separate the inner & outter tube (as most you tube videos showed)?
3. How do you adjust the distance between the bottom end of the top plug and rebound damping adjuster?
4. Will you do a how to video in the future?

Thanks!
post #46 of 80 Old 08-15-2012, 04:30 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

If you are only replacing the seals there is no need to strip the cartridge at all. With the fork top screwed in this means the spring is under tension and is pushing the bottom of the cartridge into the bottom of the fork leg giving it some resistance to turning when you remove the allen screw inside the axle point....remove this screw with an air ratchet (windy gun). It needs that sudden input of torque the windy gun gives, otherwise it will spin with the cartridge at hand tool speed.
Unscrew the fork top and the whole cartridge will come with it...separate inner outer tubes...renew seals.
Before assembling pump out the cartridge and then replace oil by volume.
Oh and don't tighten the screw with the windy gun...just do it by hand.
post #47 of 80 Old 08-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
If you are only replacing the seals there is no need to strip the cartridge at all. With the fork top screwed in this means the spring is under tension and is pushing the bottom of the cartridge into the bottom of the fork leg giving it some resistance to turning when you remove the allen screw inside the axle point....remove this screw with an air ratchet (windy gun). It needs that sudden input of torque the windy gun gives, otherwise it will spin with the cartridge at hand tool speed.
Unscrew the fork top and the whole cartridge will come with it...separate inner outer tubes...renew seals.
Before assembling pump out the cartridge and then replace oil by volume.
Oh and don't tighten the screw with the windy gun...just do it by hand.
I am just changing the seals. So I do not need to remove the bottom allan bolt from the inner tube? Do I just pull the inner & outter tube like a slide hammer to remove the seal? I have watched a few you tube videos and they all separate the inner & outter tubes by slide hammer effect. There was no videos for the KYB fork seal replacement. I just want to make sure before I start hammer away on the fork tubes.

Thanks.
post #48 of 80 Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

The inner tube is secured with the bottom allen screw....the outer is secured with the fork top...whichever you fully remove will allow the two to slide apart...and they do just slide apart...no hammering needed.
If you do it the top way you have to split the cartridge...spring compressing...resetting up..etc..etc.
With the bottom way the cartridge comes out in one piece once the top is undone.
Both are the right way its just easier from the bottom and the only bad thing about the bottom method is the fact that its awkward to get the oil bang on.
Hope this helps.
post #49 of 80 Old 08-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
The inner tube is secured with the bottom allen screw....the outer is secured with the fork top...whichever you fully remove will allow the two to slide apart...and they do just slide apart...no hammering needed.
If you do it the top way you have to split the cartridge...spring compressing...resetting up..etc..etc.
With the bottom way the cartridge comes out in one piece once the top is undone.
Both are the right way its just easier from the bottom and the only bad thing about the bottom method is the fact that its awkward to get the oil bang on.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply and yes this helps!
post #50 of 80 Old 08-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

hi has any1 ha probs with forks re-leaking an knocking from the stanchions if replacing seals from the allen key way? ive been told you have to replace the bush to if you replace seals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.