How To: Fork Seal Replacement - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 79 Old 02-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

As everyone said, just beautiful write up. First one took couple hours or so, second one took 20 minutes.

One not about traxxion tools, they do make a huge difference, but i had to modify "fork priming tool/rod tool" because it has muliple threads inside, and one i needed didn't reach the rod to bolt onto, so i had to hack saw it, to get it right, but it did drive me insane for a little while why the tool didn't fit.

as far as spacer/ring under the oil seal, i hope i've put it in the right way (with seals i know for sure)... but i guess i'll wait and see, next time i can complete whole thing in less then 3-4 hours.

And just wanted to say Thank you VERY much for the write up.

Last edited by lemmer; 02-21-2010 at 12:40 AM. Reason: forgot to say thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 79 Old 02-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAC View Post
So I was playing with the rebound and compression this morning and I noticed I now only have 4-5 clicks of rebound

You didn't reset your fork -cap before refitting by the sound of it

Shiney is good, but not everything that is good is shiney !
post #23 of 79 Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

can you, please, elaborate? I just finished rebuilding mine, but didn't put them back in, yet. If i have the same issue, how do i reset fork-cap?
Didn't find it in the forum or googlin it

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ninja View Post
You didn't reset your fork -cap before refitting by the sound of it

post #24 of 79 Old 02-24-2010, 02:23 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmer View Post
can you, please, elaborate? I just finished rebuilding mine, but didn't put them back in, yet. If i have the same issue, how do i reset fork-cap?
Didn't find it in the forum or googlin it

Ok , not had my 10r for a couple of years now so forgive me if i'm a mm or 2 out on the measurements, but before you fit the fork cap make sure that the locknut is threaded onto the damper rod around 13mm and set the rebound adjustor so that it's around 12mm from the end of the fork cap. screw the fork cap onto the damper rod until it bottoms then nip up the lock nut.
rkremer likes this.

post #25 of 79 Old 02-24-2010, 11:57 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Yup, that was my problem. I bought a vernier caliper and itís perfect now. The seals still leave residue every now and again (other times they are completely clean). Hopefully that will get better with time, otherwise Iíll just do it all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ninja View Post
Ok , not had my 10r for a couple of years now so forgive me if i'm a mm or 2 out on the measurements, but before you fit the fork cap make sure that the locknut is threaded onto the damper rod around 13mm and set the rebound adjustor so that it's around 12mm from the end of the fork cap. screw the fork cap onto the damper rod until it bottoms then nip up the lock nut.

2007 ZX-10R - 156 RWHP/182 MPH
2009 KX450F
2006 636 (Sold)
99 ZX-6R (Sold)
94 Ninja 250 (Sold)
99 YZ-250 (Sold)
73 CL 450 (Sold)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Jpc...eature=related
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/H...bud_408656.htm
post #26 of 79 Old 02-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Here ya go, this is for the C model (04 -05) but it gives you the general idea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forkcap.JPG
Views:	1283
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	123448  
rkremer likes this.

post #27 of 79 Old 02-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I actually have full pdf manual for my year, don't remember where got it, but it's 600+ pages with all the specs, and under suspension have same diagram.

But i jinxed myself. Since didn't pay attention to 13mm part, i got 4-5 clicks on top and 18 clicks on the bottom.
So, I guess i gotta redo them... At least I set rod nut at the same distance from the fork cap on both forks.

Is that what distance [C] is? distance between bottom of the fork cap and bottom of the rod bolt? 13mm?
Cause description on the picture is not really clear.
post #28 of 79 Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmer View Post
I actually have full pdf manual for my year, don't remember where got it, but it's 600+ pages with all the specs, and under suspension have same diagram.

But i jinxed myself. Since didn't pay attention to 13mm part, i got 4-5 clicks on top and 18 clicks on the bottom.
So, I guess i gotta redo them... At least I set rod nut at the same distance from the fork cap on both forks.

Is that what distance [C] is? distance between bottom of the fork cap and bottom of the rod bolt? 13mm?
Cause description on the picture is not really clear.
Sort of, it’s really just trying to get you measure the thread length in the fork cap until you tighten the lock nut. . You can also approximate the distance by turning in 13-14 clicks of rebound and then bring the nut up to the cap at the point when it stops threading into the rebound rod. I just used a caliper though to be sure (2 different ones actually to be really sure lol). I've now rebuilt mine 3 times just to get it right lol. Good news is that I am awesome at it now and the seals look great after a long ride yesterday. Most of my residue was just from the extra oil I put on the tubes when I was sliding the new seals on. Now all that has been cleaned off and she is looking great again. Good luck!

2007 ZX-10R - 156 RWHP/182 MPH
2009 KX450F
2006 636 (Sold)
99 ZX-6R (Sold)
94 Ninja 250 (Sold)
99 YZ-250 (Sold)
73 CL 450 (Sold)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Jpc...eature=related
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/H...bud_408656.htm

Last edited by TMAC; 03-01-2010 at 09:21 AM.
post #29 of 79 Old 03-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAC View Post
Sort of, itís really just trying to get you measure the thread length in the fork cap until you tighten the lock nut. . You can also approximate the distance by turning in 13-14 clicks of rebound and then bring the nut up to the cap at the point when it stops threading into the rebound rod. I just used a caliper though to be sure (2 different ones actually to be really sure lol). I've now rebuilt mine 3 times just to get it right lol. Good news is that I am awesome at it now and the seals look great after a long ride yesterday. Most of my residue was just from the extra oil I put on the tubes when I was sliding the new seals on. Now all that has been cleaned off and she is looking great again. Good luck!
Thank you for the pointer about clicks and nut.
I've rode mine today, opening season on March 1st, people were looking at me funny for whatever reasons, no matter. No residue as well, except for little from lube, and even though, suspension set up feels just right, for safety reasons, I'm going to rebuild it again.
post #30 of 79 Old 03-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

This deserved putting in the 'How To' section, Good Write up

"Time Is A Creeping Thief"
Race intake cam:.050Head Gasket:Arata full Ti System:PC3 & custom map:Ivans TRE:Ohlins 46PRXLS & SBK piston kit,Kais Tuned:BST Carbon rims:ISR radial m/c & clutch:PP Tuning Rearsets:CBR Calipers:Underslung Brembo:Hel Brake Lines: Braketech Full Floating S/S Rotors:Champs adjusters & Sliders:Powerbronze carbon front fender-Hugger-Chainguard:Sprintpro Steering Damper:Cordona Quickshifter:Zero Gravity D.B: K&N Filter:Beowulf Rad Cover:R&G Tail Tidy:&xtras: 174 HP

Last edited by Ergotomine; 03-01-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Mistake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.