How to: Crankcase Vent Mod. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 143 Old 09-22-2009, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

How to: Crankcase Vent Mod. *Updated* flow test pg.6

This Crankcase Vent Mod. will use the vacuum supplied by the exhaust through the reeds to create a negative pressure in the Crankcase.
This helps the internal parts do their “work” without the resistance of positive pressure.

The engine is more efficient with the pressure drop.

This mod. should help your engine rev. faster. HP gains? Depends on flow. I have not "yet" measured cfm on the 10.

How the Air Switching Valve works. I cut this out of the 08 service manual and inserted some text. May be useful to help understand what happens here.

1/2" T and 1/2" I.D. 5/8" O.D. hose replaces the stock components. Our vacuum supply.

This pic. is a screen shot of the crankcase vent line (highlighted in Green) from the service manual. This is the crankcase vent hose.

Here you can see an inside view of where the crankcase is vented to in the 08 airbox. Does the crankcase have positive pressure? Notice the small amount of oil circled in black.

Here you have your vent line disconnected from the airbox (circled) and the new line fits right inside. Reuse the same pinch clamp.

Airbox nipple gets a 1/2 - 5/8" I.D. cap and can be returned to the stock setup easily.

I routed the new vacuum line on the right side to avoid the already cramped fuel line on the left side.

Obviously, connect the vacuum line to the 1/2" T

When the mod. is complete it looks something like this.

I used about 3ft. of hose, one 1/2" Tee, two 5/8" caps (I think 1/2" caps would work) and 6 stainless hose clamps. Cost around $5.

Flowtest vid. on page 6

Last edited by TENN10; 10-11-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I also used some insulated pipe wrap tape to make a heat shield while I had the airbox apart. I didn't take the bottom of the airbox off, but I was able to tape it up fairly good. No good pics of that.

Here is a pic of the Ram Air inlet part of the airbox that I insulated. I think this stuff was $3 or $4 a roll.

And a pic of the inlet set down onto the airbox. Fits great, no pressing or forceing it down.

CoolBrzBlu likes this.
post #3 of 143 Old 09-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

whats the point for this mod?i thought the reed valves could only work one way?so any crank pressure is going down into the exhaust port is that right?so you will still get popping ect on decel???

post #4 of 143 Old 09-22-2009, 11:54 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

There's only 1 small problem bro...that's not your crankcase breather ;) Those are reed valves and are for you air pump. Your crankcase breather is on the lower front side of the airbox that goes directly into your engine. There is actually no need for you mod at all, instead of cutting the pipe just vent the reed valves to each other and you're done. Check this out:
http://drainfade.com/tech_writeups/zx10r_valves.html

You can see what I did to block my reed valves to prevent backfiring on decel running my BMC/PCIII/Slipons.

P.S. Great effort though...and really nice pictures.

~Drain Fade
'06 Ebony Black, Supersonic Sport Tourer
A ton of shit....I want the farkles of a Gold Wing on a 150HP bike just over 400lbs ;)
Have a VFR, ZX9R or ZX10R, check out http://drainfade.com
post #5 of 143 Old 09-22-2009, 11:56 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Wow I just found this post...a good one for reference to your gen:
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthre...90#post1302190

~Drain Fade
'06 Ebony Black, Supersonic Sport Tourer
A ton of shit....I want the farkles of a Gold Wing on a 150HP bike just over 400lbs ;)
Have a VFR, ZX9R or ZX10R, check out http://drainfade.com
post #6 of 143 Old 09-22-2009, 12:13 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
He's not trying to do the "block off" mod to prevent the decel popping. Tenn is attempting to gain some Hp by creating a vacuum in the crankcase which in "theory" will allow the pistons to decend quicker on the power and intake strokes and therefore increase power.

I've heard the theory before and I think it's BS. The problem is that when 1 piston is coming down, another is going up. So really the air displaced in 1 cylinder as the piston comes down is actually pushed into the cylinder with the piston going up. If you create a reduced pressure in the case then it's going to hold back the ascending pistons so any gains you might see in Hp by "sucking down" the decending pistons is gone. This is all based on the fact that you could actually create enough vacuum in the case to make a difference.

I'd like to see some hard numbers on this to back up the statement that "the engine is more efficient with the pressure drop"

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #7 of 143 Old 09-22-2009, 02:14 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
He's not trying to do the "block off" mod to prevent the decel popping. Tenn is attempting to gain some Hp by creating a vacuum in the crankcase which in "theory" will allow the pistons to decend quicker on the power and intake strokes and therefore increase power.

I've heard the theory before and I think it's BS. The problem is that when 1 piston is coming down, another is going up. So really the air displaced in 1 cylinder as the piston comes down is actually pushed into the cylinder with the piston going up. If you create a reduced pressure in the case then it's going to hold back the ascending pistons so any gains you might see in Hp by "sucking down" the decending pistons is gone. This is all based on the fact that you could actually create enough vacuum in the case to make a difference.

I'd like to see some hard numbers on this to back up the statement that "the engine is more efficient with the pressure drop"
Its not just the displacing of the pistons air, it is any pressure in the crankcase including pressure that leaks passed the rings. On a car(8cyl race engine) running an air pump in reverse to keep a negative crankcase pressure hp increases of 20-30 hp are not unlikely even with the pump being belt driven so there is power to be had. the rings will seal better and you can get away with a lower tension ring set therefore freeing up more hp. This setup however I dont believe will create the amount of vacuum needed to make it effective.(I ran the crankcase on my car at 12" vacuum) On the motorcycle powered sprint cars the valve covers are modified to block off the runners to the exhaust and holes are drilled to allow crankcase pressure to escape the top port on the plate, we run breathers on each plate to keep dirt out. If there was a way to gain more power the circle track guys would have found it and all the engine builders are doing it by venting it with breathers.
post #8 of 143 Old 09-22-2009, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post

I thought and argued the same thing for a long time several years back. I said the same exact thing when a friend and I started brainstorming this
idea for our ZX12's back in 01 I think. The best thing to do if you are curious is do a search on "crankcase vacuum pumps". There is a reason the make and sell these pumps.

The question (for me) is how much vacuum does my bike have? I have a vacuum gauge, but decided not to hook it up. Hg doesn't matter to me. I would like to see the cfm.

I beat my 12 to death on the dyno along with other board members. There are gains to be had. Just put this out there for those who might be interested.
post #9 of 143 Old 09-22-2009, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince10R View Post
Its not just the displacing of the pistons air, it is any pressure in the crankcase including pressure that leaks passed the rings. On a car(8cyl race engine) running an air pump in reverse to keep a negative crankcase pressure hp increases of 20-30 hp are not unlikely even with the pump being belt driven so there is power to be had. the rings will seal better and you can get away with a lower tension ring set therefore freeing up more hp. This setup however I dont believe will create the amount of vacuum needed to make it effective.(I ran the crankcase on my car at 12" vacuum) On the motorcycle powered sprint cars the valve covers are modified to block off the runners to the exhaust and holes are drilled to allow crankcase pressure to escape the top port on the plate, we run breathers on each plate to keep dirt out. If there was a way to gain more power the circle track guys would have found it and all the engine builders are doing it by venting it with breathers.

Thanks for your input.

"Volume" is the key for big gains. I will be doing further research for the 10. Although the gains are not going to match those of the aftermarket vacuum pumps, the idea is to use what we already have in place to our advantage. Even if the HP gains are nothing, the reduced work/resistance in the case should net a faster revving engine at least. IMO
post #10 of 143 Old 09-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

the reed valves only open and suck in air on deceleration, to burn off extra unburnt fuel when you shut the throttle down, when you are cruising or at full throttle the system is shut down so exhaust wont go up threw the system, so by doing this mod you will be sealing your crankcase at cruising and full throttle runs, this is very bad for horsepower and will probable blow some oil seals quickly. examine how the reed valve works!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in