How to: Crankcase Vent Mod. - Page 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 143 Old 09-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBoz45 View Post
What about oil vapors? It seems to me that now you will be sucking oil vapor through that line and eventually you are going to be burning oil in your exhaust and getting some smoke... and possibly damaging your cat (if you still have one)......
he wont suffer from any of the above as he has effectively sealed the crankcase?if the pressure is not enough to open the reeds then it has nowhere to go?hes worse of now than before as before it vented to air box..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 143 Old 09-23-2009, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBoz45 View Post
What about oil vapors? It seems to me that now you will be sucking oil vapor through that line and eventually you are going to be burning oil in your exhaust and getting some smoke... and possibly damaging your cat (if you still have one)......
Thats part of the reason I like to run a clear hose. Its easy to inspect and see how much oil may be coming thru.

I've run this mod. for several years (along with thousands of others) and never seen any smoke. No signs of oil in the exhaust packing either. After running a few thousand miles you will be able to see the clear hose start to brown a bit. I never runs stock exhausts for long.
post #33 of 143 Old 09-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

We over at the VMAX community did this mod all the time (crank case mod) it was good for about a pony. Nothing you can feel on the butt dyno. Lots of dyno runs with and without this mod.

"If it's too fast your too old"

post #34 of 143 Old 09-24-2009, 02:01 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Personally I have my crankcase vented to open air (with a filter of course). I didn't like having it vented into the airbox, for obvious reasons.

post #35 of 143 Old 09-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

We have been using the reed valve to pull vac for about 4 years in the mini sprints. Does a great job, however about 10-15 laps into the feature it starts smoking like a freight train, this tended to get the juy off of our rear bumper in the race. Never used more than a few ounces of oil though. It also gives you a real lean reading if using an ex analizer. We fixed the smoking by installing two 8an fittings in the valve cover and running hoses to a vapor seperator mounted on the firewall filled with chore boy scrubbing pads. The thing to remember is the new autotunes will not work with this installed.
post #36 of 143 Old 09-26-2009, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrj969 View Post
We have been using the reed valve to pull vac for about 4 years in the mini sprints. Does a great job, however about 10-15 laps into the feature it starts smoking like a freight train, this tended to get the juy off of our rear bumper in the race. Never used more than a few ounces of oil though. It also gives you a real lean reading if using an ex analizer. We fixed the smoking by installing two 8an fittings in the valve cover and running hoses to a vapor seperator mounted on the firewall filled with chore boy scrubbing pads. The thing to remember is the new autotunes will not work with this installed.
Good point. I meant to point out that the mod. will throw off any kind of O2 sensor.

I've never seen or heard of any smoking on bikes in the 8 years I've been doing and reading about this mod.

I've got some vacuum and flow gauges to do some testing.
post #37 of 143 Old 09-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

We don't breath them very much. Sometimes it might be 5 miles wot if the track is right. Weve tried all types of oil still got same results. The way they breathe them through the vent in gear box must get over worked in time. If we get a caution any time around 10 laps it wont smoke. The valve cover venting has seemed to have fixed it.
post #38 of 143 Old 09-27-2009, 08:24 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrj969 View Post
We don't breath them very much. Sometimes it might be 5 miles wot if the track is right. Weve tried all types of oil still got same results. The way they breathe them through the vent in gear box must get over worked in time. If we get a caution any time around 10 laps it wont smoke. The valve cover venting has seemed to have fixed it.
on this. a bike will never have this problem, on a micro we run them wide open for 20 laps a bike would most likely never stay wound up like that for that long. when auto tuning you would just need to remove the hose from the system and plug it. also when using the autotune with the factory setup it should be disconnected and capped off otherwise at lower rpms it will make the 02 sensor read lean even though it may be the correct a/f ratio.
post #39 of 143 Old 10-04-2009, 04:27 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Here's another variation on the same theme : spotted in a Japanese magazine, an inline reed valve that attached to the breather. I'm guessing it would use positive pressure in the cases to push open the reed, rather than a vacuum to suck it open.

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crankcase breather reed valve.GIF
Views:	695
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	110296  

Do not walk behind me, for I may not be leading.
Do not walk in front of me, for I may not follow.
Do not walk alongside me, for the path may be narrow.
Just piss off and leave me alone.

Last edited by greenman43; 10-04-2009 at 08:12 PM.
post #40 of 143 Old 10-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Newfie Bullet

Posting Frequency

WEll with out actual proof such as back to back dyno's with this mod done on a "BIKE" and not a "CAR" and then back factory im not rippin off my tank and such to do somethin that may or may not work....I already saw pretty much the same argument of this very subject discussed in the block off plates thread..
When i see posted actual results,im all in or out depending on the results..

Team green,Bleed green,RIDE GREEN!!

Brembo m/c,Nassert Beet,HEL lines,Pazzo levers,HID kit,custom monster paint scheme..Thanks to forum member horse for that..Woolich raceing kit,Elka rear shock and front fork pistons,Green samco coolant hose kit,Zero gravity dbbl smoked screen,520 conversion,attack rear sets,bmc race air filter,Monster zx6 front seat,moto graffix tank pad,feredo pads,galpher lite weight rear rotor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in