Help - Starter relay bad? - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 Old 05-30-2007, 07:04 AM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

Try cleaning the terminals on the solenoid, normally if it clicks, it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 05-30-2007, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Yeah, that's what I thought to. Cleaning them and verifying that the connections were tight were one of the first things I did. Didn't affect my problem at all. The only thing I can think of is that it arced internally and created a carbon build up or a hole in the contacts that I can't see. The only physical indication of a problem is that the fuse cap plastic is slightly warped on the battery terminal side. Something got a little warm there evidently, but not drastically.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #13 of 17 Old 05-31-2007, 07:37 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

No problem SD. I hope the new relay fixes the problem. Since you're gonna remove the relay (or already have), you can check the relay for operation by putting +12V to one of the two connectors right next to the fuse, and grounding the other. If you get a click, put an ohmmeter across the two main battery/starter screws to check for continuity. No continuity = bad relay.

Did you have have an occasion where you cranked it over for quite a while before it lit off? This situation might cause a heat buildup that might have melted the plastic and damaged the relay.

post #14 of 17 Old 05-31-2007, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10rmotor View Post
Did you have have an occasion where you cranked it over for quite a while before it lit off? This situation might cause a heat buildup that might have melted the plastic and damaged the relay.
Nope, that just it. I could see that as a cause for the failure, but it started up normal in the morning and then at my lunch break. Both times (and for the last several rides that I can recall), the starter button has not been depressed for longer than 3 sec at most. Hit the button and she fires right up. For the life of me I can't figure out what would cause it to fail like that.

Oh well, should have the new one soon and I'll try out the ohm meter on it like you suggest. I tried that while it was on the bike, but couldn't get a good reading because it was still connected. I knew it wouldn't read right, but I had narrowed it down to this as the problem. Thanks for the response!

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #15 of 17 Old 05-25-2018, 09:18 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

which wire is the starter motor wire on the relay
i have the same problem
post #16 of 17 Old 05-25-2018, 09:30 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

please explain which wire is the starter motor wire on the relay and where do you place it to the battery i have the same problem my bike just stoped starting, the relay clicks but i dont hear the starter motor
post #17 of 17 Old 06-17-2018, 06:50 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hay guys, the magnets in my starter motor exploded, will gen 4 fit? Or any other starter fit my ninja 16plate? Or has it got to be oem $500 worth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in