Gen 5: 2016 -> Gen5 Stall problem help - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 Old 05-24-2018, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
So I went out for a ride today and I had another issue with the bike. My ESD warning light kept coming on. The bike didn't stall beforehand and I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. Could it be a Battery problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 05-28-2018, 04:52 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
So I went out for a ride today and I had another issue with the bike. My ESD warning light kept coming on. The bike didn't stall beforehand and I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. Could it be a Battery problem?
My bike is doing the same thing. Clutch in, coming to a stop, and it stalls. Was able to replicate on a stand just like you.

I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see what can be done. I recently had my bike custom tuned but I've had it flashed since last year without ever having an issue. So I'm almost tempted to rule out the flash kit. The ESD (from what I've read) is not relative to the cause of the stalling but is instead a result of it. When my bike stalls the ESD comes on after restarting (but not every time), but it will immediately go-away if I fully reset the bike (key-off, key-on). If you've got any update please update us (me lol).

When in doubt... send it!
post #13 of 18 Old 05-28-2018, 05:48 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

This happens on my bike as well. Stalled once on the grid before a race. Not the most comforting feeling. I have a kit ecu with a hand-me-down (for now) map. I thought it would be due to that but may be not? I've upped the idle a little and it helps but I think something is still isn't right. Subscribed!
ddipaola likes this.

post #14 of 18 Old 05-28-2018, 10:11 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanister View Post
This happens on my bike as well. Stalled once on the grid before a race. Not the most comforting feeling. I have a kit ecu with a hand-me-down (for now) map. I thought it would be due to that but may be not? I've upped the idle a little and it helps but I think something is still isn't right. Subscribed!
I just noticed this today, but when I rev'd my engine a certain way the RPMs not only hit zero, but the headlights dimmed, and the dashboard flickered. I didn't notice this before. And actually if you re-watch my video you can see that dash flicker. Says to me there's maybe an electrical problem related to the battery. I checked it with a multimeter and the voltage was perfect... perhaps a stator issue then? Need to look into it more but maybe your stalling is showing those same symptoms. I've got a Lithium battery coming in this week. I will keep the thread updated with any positive feedback.

Last edited by ddipaola; 05-28-2018 at 10:29 PM.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-31-2018, 11:21 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddipaola View Post
I just noticed this today, but when I rev'd my engine a certain way the RPMs not only hit zero, but the headlights dimmed, and the dashboard flickered. I didn't notice this before. And actually if you re-watch my video you can see that dash flicker. Says to me there's maybe an electrical problem related to the battery. I checked it with a multimeter and the voltage was perfect... perhaps a stator issue then? Need to look into it more but maybe your stalling is showing those same symptoms. I've got a Lithium battery coming in this week. I will keep the thread updated with any positive feedback.
I have a lithium ion battery so it's not likely to make a difference.
post #16 of 18 Old 06-01-2018, 06:50 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:

With the new 1.1 software if you run a low number in the engine brake map it tends to not want to idle after blipping the throttle, have tested it by switching engine brake maps and when I use the map with “8+” it would idle perfect. Have seen the issue on a bunch of bikes running the 1.1 software and they just increase the idle rpm to help also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ddipaola likes this.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-01-2018, 01:51 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
I have a lithium ion battery so it's not likely to make a difference.
Yeah, I looked more into the electrical and the battery/stator/regulator were all running perfectly. For some odd reason the bike hasn't repeated the issue in a couple days. Maybe a hose was kinked or something, not sure. Also, zero tank pressure buildup which is good. Either way that lithium battery is going in for weight savings haha a free 4-5lbs worth of saving & the quick-disconnect feature for storage sounds like a good move.

post #18 of 18 Old 06-15-2018, 12:07 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Mine was doing the same thing after remapping the ECU using woolich software (The Map). Changing my air filter, cleaning up the oil on the throttle, and fixing that seal on the airbox resolved the issue for me. I went from a M4 GP slip-on to a SC-Project CR-T slip-on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in