Gen 2: 2006-2007 Gen 1&2 Electrical troubleshooting wisdoms - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 Old 04-23-2015, 12:06 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Send a message via MSN to photomike666 Send a message via Yahoo to photomike666
Good right up, thanks.

Additional...

If the stator is burning out, it may be a rectifier issue - I believe the stock rectifier is a "shunt" type, which overheats the stator - this can be alleviated by fitting a series rectifier.

Now to my new problem...

Bike runs fine (And charges fine). BUT, left in the garage for just one week and it drains the battery flat. I thought it may be the Ivans TRE, but disconnecting that and the problem still occurs. Battery is a quality unit and brand new!

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue before I start running blind tests.

Cheers

Mike

*Edit* for additional info... I've owned the ZX10 since new (Jan 2007), presently done 42,000Km (26,000miles), rectifier, stator and battery replaced in last month, earth wire improvement, no other harness mods - issue still persists. No lose of power across the rev range and pulls clutchless mono's in 3rd.

'07 ZX10R Road - 06 ZX10R Track - '87 CR250 Resto - 6.0L V8 Ute
I've got serious thrill issues, dude!

Last edited by photomike666; 04-23-2015 at 12:11 AM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 05-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by antaren View Post
Which relay box are you going to replace?

The fuel reserve sensor is a small electrode protruding from the top of the fuel pump assembly. When you say you changed the pump, did you switch out the motor or the entire assembly? You likely have a bad fuel reserve sensor, which is integrated into the pump assembly and is not serviceable. You will need to replace the entire pump assembly to fix a bad sensor problem.
In the end it was the faulty tilt sensor, I replaced in the order:
Complete fuel pump, relay box (the one on top of the ecu) and the tilt sensor.

ANyway, thanks a lot!
post #13 of 24 Old 05-17-2015, 10:48 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by antaren View Post
You will want to check and clean the starter relay's contacts while you are in there. The starter relay has given me enough grief that I would recommend a pre-emptive replacement. They can be found brand new on eBay for only $7, and it takes only a few minutes to replace.
Followed your advice and replaced the starter relay since it costs only $7. Along with a new battery my cluster hasn't reset yet. So I think I've sorted my issues for now. Thanks again Antaren.

Here is a pic of my old starter relay showing the corrosion which probably could've been cleaned but I just bought a new one since a new one is only $7.

04' ZX10
06' Green ZX10-On the road to recovery

post #14 of 24 Old 05-17-2015, 10:55 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

If any really want to get technical buy a Fluke 87 or 187....let me know if you are interested why but basically the most accurate to calculate OHMs .

bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-18-2015, 08:13 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

ZX10R Fix

Hi guys i want to thanks everyone on that forum whom took time to post and also those whom read our issue which make us a big family.I problem is fix and the issue was that my gaz line hose was kint in two places but could not be seen I removed the hose completely to inspect to discover it was bent two area. That was the reason i could not go through my RPM and Kill at list 8 new pumps.I replaced the hose and buy a new pump and that was it I am so happy that to actualy feel that power.
If anyone has a dyno map for the zx10r 2009 I will be very appreciate if they can post it so i could load it up to my PC3. Thank you again !!!!
post #16 of 24 Old 05-26-2015, 02:04 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I`d like to say thanks for taking the time to write all this info up. Rep Sent..

I just this past weekend had my first electrical issue with my 2nd Gen. The info you posted is really very informative.

Seems my battery died which I`m finding hard to believe because its only 3 years old. But it tested bad and I've seen it happen before so I'm hoping that's the end of the issue. A new one is on order and when I do the install I will defiantly check for 14 volts with the bike running. Is there a connecter handy that I can check each leg for voltage and shorts coming from the stator? And if the stator is bad then doesn't it make sense to change the rectifier as well and start over all new with the charging system? One last thing, anyone know the best place to buy a good stator and rectifier?? I`ve seen them on E-Bay and amazon but it would be great to get someone else's feedback on where they got there's.
post #17 of 24 Old 05-26-2015, 02:36 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigMan View Post
I`d like to say thanks for taking the time to write all this info up. Rep Sent..

I just this past weekend had my first electrical issue with my 2nd Gen. The info you posted is really very informative.

Seems my battery died which I`m finding hard to believe because its only 3 years old. But it tested bad and I've seen it happen before so I'm hoping that's the end of the issue. A new one is on order and when I do the install I will defiantly check for 14 volts with the bike running. Is there a connecter handy that I can check each leg for voltage and shorts coming from the stator? And if the stator is bad then doesn't it make sense to change the rectifier as well and start over all new with the charging system? One last thing, anyone know the best place to buy a good stator and rectifier?? I`ve seen them on E-Bay and amazon but it would be great to get someone else's feedback on where they got there's.
It does make sense to replace the rectifier when replacing the stator BUT the rectifier is another 100 bucks a the least. I didn't feel comfortable throwing out that money if I didn't need to. After a new stator, new battery(not an el-cheapo from amazon) and a new starter relay all has been good for a week now.

04' ZX10
06' Green ZX10-On the road to recovery
post #18 of 24 Old 05-26-2015, 03:02 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PigMan View Post

No, it makes no sense to just throw money against all the components in the system. Figure out which one is bad and replace that part. They can all be bad, but that's highly unlikely.

OEM on the stator and rectifier. Cheapest place to find OEM parts is Honda East Toledo (hondaeasttoledo.com). If you try to source that cheap crap from Fleabay or Amazon, you're on your own.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #19 of 24 Old 05-27-2015, 01:15 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaLife View Post
It does make sense to replace the rectifier when replacing the stator BUT the rectifier is another 100 bucks a the least. I didn't feel comfortable throwing out that money if I didn't need to. After a new stator, new battery(not an el-cheapo from amazon) and a new starter relay all has been good for a week now.

Glad the problem is repaired and your back up and running. Hopefully I`ll have the same luck this weekend when I install the battery.
post #20 of 24 Old 05-27-2015, 01:35 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
No, it makes no sense to just throw money against all the components in the system. Figure out which one is bad and replace that part. They can all be bad, but that's highly unlikely.

OEM on the stator and rectifier. Cheapest place to find OEM parts is Honda East Toledo (hondaeasttoledo.com). If you try to source that cheap crap from Fleabay or Amazon, you're on your own.
I agree about throwing money at parts that don`t need to be replaced its Very true all 3 wouldn't prolly go at once but I have seen weird things like it happen and just wanted to get other peoples input on it.

Thanks for posting these guys,

Ohio Honda Yamaha Suzuki Kawasaki Polaris Victory Can-Am Sea-Doo Ski-Doo Aprilia Arctic Cat Kymco Honda East Toledo Maumee, OH 1-877-437-1631

I defiantly will check them out and avoid the cheap crap from E-Bay and Amazon. OEM or something more heavy duty like Ricks is a much better choice.

Stator $137.50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.