3Likes
  • 2 Post By rcannon
  • 1 Post By SkyDork

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-26-2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Front brake Caliper & Lines

I seen some Nissin calipers off a 06-11 zx14. They say this caliper will bolt right up with no modifications. My question is will the stock rubber brake hoses fit right in the zx14 calipers or do they need to be changed? Also, if I were to buy stainless steel brake lines do I shop under zx14 or shop 06 zx10r? The pads would be shopped under zx14 pads.....correct?

This looks like a doable job for me but I just wanna make sure I order the right stuff. Sorry for the same ol tired questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-27-2018, 07:41 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
The stock G2 Tokico calipers connect the lines at the center point. The Nissin calipers mount to the top. The stock brake lines will be slightly too long for that installation and will need to be routed and secured accordingly. Without knowing the distance required between the ZX-10 and ZX-14 exactly, it's the safest bet to stick with the ZX-10 lines and accommodate the extra length.

Considering the fact that you're upgrading the brakes for something better, reusing the OEM rubber lines kind of defeats that goal. Stainless braided lines combined with the calipers would be an improvement. Especially when you get the 2-line kit that goes from the master cylinder to each caliper rather than the stock routing connecting the calipers in series.

The brake pads are caliper specific, not bike specific. If you got calipers from another bike, those are the pads to be used.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 8 Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I had a similar set up to this...using a brake caliper that did not originally belong to that specific bike.

I bought some of the clear, vinyl tubing...maybe 6 ft long....

Using that tubing made it really to get specific and exact measurements of what I wanted my new, custom lines to be.

I called Core Moto and told them I wanted my lines to be . Use a Ducati 1098sp upper fitting and zx14 lower fittings..."x inches long, center of fitting to center of fitting"

I had the custom lines, in my garage, within a week. Very high quality and not much more than off the shelf lines.

They have specific instructions of how to measure, here. They will cut the lines to your exact spec. Dont add 1/2 inch, or such. They follow your instructions to within 1mm.

CUSTOM CORE MOTO BRAKE LINES

I dont work for them, and I don't know anyone there...just a satisfied customer.
SkyDork and GonzoRider like this.

Last edited by rcannon; 04-27-2018 at 09:10 AM.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-27-2018, 09:01 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Core Moto makes good lines! It's a quality product! If my G5 didn't have stock braided lines already, I'd have the green Core ones!

Custom is an option. The backup plan would be to just get the stock size since they are off-the-shelf. They will be slightly longer than needed, but won't be an issue (I ran the Nissins with aftermarket braided in stock ZX-10 size). If you want them perfect, then do as rcannon says and go with the Core Moto 2-line kit.

CORE MOTO | STREET | KAWASAKI ZX10R 2006-2007 | FRONT BRAKE LINE KIT | CUSTOM COLORS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1670.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	415866  
GonzoRider likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #5 of 8 Old 04-27-2018, 09:04 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon View Post
I had a similar set up to this...using a brake caliper that did not originally belong to that specific bike.

I bought some of the clear, vinyl tubing...maybe 6 ft long....

Using that tubing made it really to get specific and exact measurements of what I wanted my new, custom lines to be.

I called Core Moto and told them I wanted my lines to be . Use a zx10 upper fitting and a zx14 lower fitting..."x inches long, center of fitting to center of fitting"

I had the custom lines, in my garage, within a week. Very high quality and not much more than off the shelf lines.

I dealt with another place before...Their name started with an "S". They did a decent job, but the wait was much longer. They have specific instructions of how to measure, here.

CUSTOM CORE MOTO BRAKE LINES

I dont work for them, and I don't know anyone there...just a satisfied customer.
for Core Moto. They're high quality and the green matches up nicely.

Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death- HST
post #6 of 8 Old 04-27-2018, 02:14 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Just did this to my 2nd gen. Lines thread right into caliper. No need for different lines. Got pads for 14r. Research and decision made me choose stock pads and not ebc. Rocky mountain atv is where I get my oem parts cheapest. To get them to bleed, I opened the bleeders on bolth calipers and squeezed the rubber line between master and reservoir. Closed bleeders and was able to start pumping them up with handle and bled the system.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-27-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Y'all know everything! I'll get the 2 line kit with the zx14 Nissin calipers along with nissin brake pads. That should be a big improvement from what it is now. Feel like I'll have to bend my handlebar back to get more brake action. My bike is down anyway for a couple of weeks anyway
post #8 of 8 Old 04-27-2018, 09:55 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Did the Nissin swap with Galfer braided lines on my Gen2

2 lines direct to master, Don't forget to get a double line bango bolt
for the master and new copper washers.

The right line was 26"
The left line was 28"

clean rotors if switching pad brand

Pads - zx6 07 and up / zx14 06 and up

Carbone Lorraine C60 1177-C60
SBS 838RS
EBC HH FA 417/4HH
etc.

None of the above lasted very long 400-800 (track) miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saf-pins-2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	415898  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in