4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 08-07-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
ECU, Where to buy!?

2016 ZX10R..:

Where, other then the dealer or online oem parts store like bike bandit etc, could I purchase a stock ecu for my bike. It has been having loud chain noise "cct problem" where its been a few hundred miles and hasn't gotten better. Also always seemed to not start correctly but since the cct noise ive noticed it struggling a bit more to start, cold or hot.

So I'd like to get it to the dealer since I did pay $300.00 for an extended 5 year warranty.. but I do have the ECU flashed and would like to not void my warranty. Hoping someone on here knows somewhere or something I may not to purchase a stock ECU.

Thank you for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-07-2017, 05:22 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

look for one in ebay.,

ronayers also.
SkyDork likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-07-2017, 05:56 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
The only place to get a stock ECU is from Kawasaki themselves. So you need to go through an online dealer that deals with Kawasaki parts.

Ronayers
Honda East Toledo
Bike Bandit
Partszilla
Etc, etc.

Unless you plan to look on eBay for a used OEM one, or someone selling one themselves, those are your only options.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #4 of 14 Old 08-07-2017, 11:59 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I purchased a ecu off eBay for 299.99 and I'm going to flash the eBay ecu.
2K16/10r likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 06:08 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

What about buying the Woolich kit, back up your current flash for later, and then flash it back to stock before dropping the bike off at the dealer? Haven`t worked with Woolich, but surely this must be possible? Probably about the same price range too. And then you get to play with all the options later.

I`m just in for the ride
post #6 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 08:34 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
What about buying the Woolich kit, back up your current flash for later, and then flash it back to stock before dropping the bike off at the dealer? Haven`t worked with Woolich, but surely this must be possible? Probably about the same price range too. And then you get to play with all the options later.
Uh, that would be a good idea except the ECU is basically locked to the account from the person who flashed it originally. It might be possible if the Woolich software can unlock it and make a backup of it, but again, that may not even be possible if this flash used a Woolich account. It would kind of defeat the purpose of using the Woolich software to unlock Woolich firmware. That's pretty much the whole purpose of locking the accounts. And that would likely be a similar cost. But maybe it could be done.

#WordCrimes

post #7 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 10:06 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I actually think that on the Kawi ECU's you can unlock the tune with woolich if was previously locked. To get the full setup would probably cost you a lot more than buying a used ecu on ebay though if I had to guess but the woolich setup is nice to have.

I'd check ebay, the for sale forums here maybe even national craigslist? As much as I hate to say it, maybe some zx10 facebook groups?
post #8 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 10:21 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Yes, I thought Woolich had an unlock option as well for locked ECU`s..?

Also was under the impression that for Woolich the bin file was locked to 1 ECU, but the ECU was not locked to the bin file. If it is indeed, that means that they can only ever sell one bin file pr ECU/bike and would loose a potential customer later on if the bike/ECU gets a new owner who would like to tune by buying their kit.

But again, I don`t know. Don`t have any personal experience with Woolich.

I`m just in for the ride
post #9 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 03:23 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
Yes, I thought Woolich had an unlock option as well for locked ECU`s..?

Also was under the impression that for Woolich the bin file was locked to 1 ECU, but the ECU was not locked to the bin file. If it is indeed, that means that they can only ever sell one bin file pr ECU/bike and would loose a potential customer later on if the bike/ECU gets a new owner who would like to tune by buying their kit.

But again, I don`t know. Don`t have any personal experience with Woolich.
Yes, the Woolich Racing application has the unlock function. I have used the WR software to unlock an ECU that was NOT flashed originally by the Woolich software. That doesn't mean that you can use it to unlock another Woolich file. Again, that defeats the purpose of having the ECU locked - which is to prevent transfers of the tuning files outside of their mapsharing. And yes, the BIN file is locked to an account. So to transfer an ECU in Woolich to someone else to tune it, they would have to have their own Woolich account to play with it. You need 1 BIN file per ECU you're reflashing. You get 1 file with the purchase of the kit. That's the way it works, and that's the limitation of it.

So, since yours was flashed from someone else, what software did they use? First thing you'd have to do is unlock it. Next thing you'd have to do is tie that ECU to your account with them. If both reflashes are using Woolich software, then it will see that ECU is locked to another account and it would have to be transferred. And that may not happen easily without the original owner releasing it.

#WordCrimes

post #10 of 14 Old 08-08-2017, 04:19 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
You need 1 BIN file per ECU you're reflashing. You get 1 file with the purchase of the kit. That's the way it works, and that's the limitation of it.
Yes, that`s what I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
If both reflashes are using Woolich software, then it will see that ECU is locked to another account and it would have to be transferred. And that may not happen easily without the original owner releasing it.
Ok, I see. This is really bad if that`s how it is.

I`m just in for the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.