Gen 3: 2008-2010 ECU fueling or ignition problems... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-03-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

ECU fueling or ignition problems...

I have an issue with an 09' zx10r with approximately 1190 miles on it. I took it for a ride yesterday and it will not rev or accelerate past 9500 RPM's in any gear. I can put it in neutral and it will rev past 9500 all the way to the rev limiter near 13000.
I took it on the road and did numerous pulls in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and it hits a brick wall at 9500 and will not go past it no matter how many times I tried it.
Bike has no Power Commander but has a 2 bros slip on.
So, to ensure it wasn't the fuel pump I swapped over my 05' zx10r fuel tank in place of the 09' fuel tank. It doesn't mount up the best but it works for some troubleshooting. I took it back out last nite and it did the exact same thing, it won't pull past 9500 in gear but will rev to the limiter in neutral.
I am concerned it maybe the ECU now, since I seen someone post up something close to the same problems as I have now but the member posted up what fixed it or if it got fixed.
It idles perfectly fine, starts up on the first hit of the starter and sounds great. So that rules out spark plugs and a few other things.
Any ideas?

2005 ZX-10R Akrapovic Ti Evo 2 w/CF LOR can, PC3 with custom map, Factory Pro velocity stacks

2009 ZX-10r Full Gen4 Brock's SS exhaust with CF 14" can, PC3, Secondary Butterflies Removed, Kawasaki Race Exhaust Cam, My Own TRE, Degreed Cams 109/108

2011 zx10r Lower'd 2" Frt & Rear, Stretched 8", Graves CF slipon, GUHL Flashed ECU

Last edited by PatrickG; 04-03-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-03-2011, 07:14 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Does it have a power commander...if so, try un hooking it and going for a ride

Stock motor, Grudge ZX10 (( Walter White ))
https://www.facebook.com/kirk.adams.758
post #3 of 19 Old 04-03-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK_ADAMS View Post
Does it have a power commander...if so, try un hooking it and going for a ride
Damn forgot to put the mods in.. I'll edit the first post but no power commander

2005 ZX-10R Akrapovic Ti Evo 2 w/CF LOR can, PC3 with custom map, Factory Pro velocity stacks

2009 ZX-10r Full Gen4 Brock's SS exhaust with CF 14" can, PC3, Secondary Butterflies Removed, Kawasaki Race Exhaust Cam, My Own TRE, Degreed Cams 109/108

2011 zx10r Lower'd 2" Frt & Rear, Stretched 8", Graves CF slipon, GUHL Flashed ECU

post #4 of 19 Old 04-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Newfie Bullet

Posting Frequency

fuel cut off?? or im thinkin the same about ecu...maybe a mess up on the flash from kawi..
Weird though.....I know yami had an issue with the r1 back in 07 or 08...@ 4000 or 4500 it flat spotted...Yami reflashed it and all was good....call kawi to see what the prob or if there is a recall issue...
Somethin else too,a local shop told me that the wire harness is a smidge short and sometimes a cpl of the pins from the wire harness just barely loose connection to ecu...Chk that before you do anythin..

Team green,Bleed green,RIDE GREEN!!

Brembo m/c,Nassert Beet,HEL lines,Pazzo levers,HID kit,custom monster paint scheme..Thanks to forum member horse for that..Woolich raceing kit,Elka rear shock and front fork pistons,Green samco coolant hose kit,Zero gravity dbbl smoked screen,520 conversion,attack rear sets,bmc race air filter,Monster zx6 front seat,moto graffix tank pad,feredo pads,galpher lite weight rear rotor.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-03-2011, 10:57 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

check to make sure your secondary injectors on the top of the air box have connectors that are clean and well connected. This sonds exactly like what happens when the secondaries are not firing proper.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-03-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman69 View Post
check to make sure your secondary injectors on the top of the air box have connectors that are clean and well connected. This sonds exactly like what happens when the secondaries are not firing proper.
Thanks for the thought. I haven't had a chance to take the top of the airbox off yet to ensure they are sprayn correctly yet. That does sound like a reasonable explanation and much cheaper than a new or used ECU.

post #7 of 19 Old 04-03-2011, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_sez View Post
fuel cut off?? or im thinkin the same about ecu...maybe a mess up on the flash from kawi..
Weird though.....I know yami had an issue with the r1 back in 07 or 08...@ 4000 or 4500 it flat spotted...Yami reflashed it and all was good....call kawi to see what the prob or if there is a recall issue...
Somethin else too,a local shop told me that the wire harness is a smidge short and sometimes a cpl of the pins from the wire harness just barely loose connection to ecu...Chk that before you do anythin..
It's supposed to rain over the next few days and that will give me time to check out the connectors and wiring.

post #8 of 19 Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickG View Post
Thanks for the thought. I haven't had a chance to take the top of the airbox off yet to ensure they are sprayn correctly yet. That does sound like a reasonable explanation and much cheaper than a new or used ECU.
You don't need to check to see if they are spraying correctly. You need to check the connectors to make sure they are clean and intact. I had one connector on my Bazzaz push a pin out to the point that it no longer made contact. It looked like it was together and clean, however the one pin was not in the connector. This one pin allowed the bike to do exactly what your is doing.

Good luck my friend. I hope it is something simple like stated above. It usually tends to be.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-21-2017, 12:15 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm having the same issue

Reviving a crazy old post lol...

So I'm having the exact same issue, does anyone know what ended up being wrong? I've got quite a few more miles, 74,000, but my 08 runs like a champ except for not revving above 9500 or so on the road.

I'll start by checking the connections mentioned above, but I definitely haven't noticed any wiring issues offhand while doing maintenance around it over the years... of course I probably wouldn't have noticed a very slightly loose pin in a connector though. Speedohealer and XTRE are all I currently have as far as electronic mods.
post #10 of 19 Old 07-21-2017, 02:44 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Given your mileage and symptoms, it's likely the fuel pump... a simple flow test will tell the tale. There are many threads that cover the subject here if you search. :)

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.