Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Difficulty shifting to neutral

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  MisterD 
#1 ·
Hello. Can anyone tell me why my bike has been really difficult to shift from first or second to neutral when at a stop? Sometimes the shifter just won't budge and I have to roll the bike forward to get it to move. This started a few months ago. I just changed my oil and thought that might fix the issue but it didn't. Any help appreciated. It's an '04 with about 22,000 miles. Thanks!

#2 ·
The 04's are known for having the bad first year shift star.... Design issue. Try adjusting the clutch cable to spec.... The inside arm likes to wear on the cam for pulling the clutch basket open.

#3 ·
I adjusted the cable yesterday and found the bracket that holds the cable was missing a bolt. So when I pulled the cable, it pulled the bracket away from bike and into itself. Fixed it adjusted cable. Problem better, but not gone. Realized when riding around the bike has always been a clunky shifter. 10 years is too long. Time for a new bike. Thanks a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.