Chain Breaker - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-21-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Chain Breaker

Just getting an idea of what chain tool everyone is using. I currently have the Motion Pro chain breaker and riveting tool, linked below.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0058

However, the pins seem to break very easily. I recently got a replacement 4mm pin and it broke on the first use. I even ground down both sides of the pin prior to pushing it out. It didn't bind or anything, and I didn't even think it broke until I backed it out and it came out in two pieces. Luckily it pushed the pin out first. Has anybody else experienced the same issues? The first time it broke I chalked it up to not grinding it down, but now I'm thinking there are other issues with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-21-2017, 11:38 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
You need to make sure you have the pilot shaft as close to the rivet as possible. Then you extend the pin from there. If you have the pin travel the entire length it allows the pin to bend and break, from no support on the sides.

I have attached an image to illustrate what I mean. After knowing how to use the tool correctly myself, I have yet to break another pin.
Attached Images

The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-21-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah, that's how I do it. The only thing I can think of is if I possibly twist the tool while pressing through. But I was being pretty careful with it, at least I thought I was.

post #4 of 15 Old 09-21-2017, 12:05 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Wierd, I have a cheapo harbor freight one and It is working fine. Maybe 2 bad pins? Pretty unlikely but who knows!

The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I have the same tool and do the same thing (grinding the rivet head off) and was having the same results.

The last couple of chains I used it on I was much more deliberate with pushing the rivet out. I'd check the alignment of the chain rivet and tool pin multiple time. Doing this way, I had better luck in not breaking the tool pin.

However, I'd be interested to know if anyone has a recommendation on a quality chain breaker/rivet tool.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-21-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhastme View Post
Wierd, I have a cheapo harbor freight one and It is working fine. Maybe 2 bad pins? Pretty unlikely but who knows!
I know it's pretty doubtful to get 2 bad pins. And I'm even open to the idea it's something that I'm doing wrong. But grinding both sides of the pin and pushing it out, I should really have to twist it to break it. Especially since it didn't take any effort to press the pin through.
Duhastme likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-21-2017, 12:35 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

If you are breaking the tool pusher pins you are using the tool incorrectly. You have to seat the tool true to the side plates BEFORE you ever touch the pin pusher to the chain. Any gap at all will cause uneven pressure and snap it like a toothpick once you start cranking on it.

We have $300 Honda OEM chain tool, $250 DID factory chain tool, $125 Motion Pro Jumbo Chain Tools etc in this shop and I find myself reaching for the $80 Motion Pro PBR Chain Tool for all my chain work.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-21-2017, 12:44 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have a $14 Harbor Freight tool that has broke two chains. Rocks for me. Just gotta be careful smashing the rivet.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

Every fortress falls, it is not the end. It aint if you fall, its how you rise that says who you really are.
- QOTSA

"if you want to be told today to fk off let me no I can help"
- Peter
post #9 of 15 Old 09-21-2017, 04:17 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Chain removal

Chain install - Amazon $85.00

Never had any issues or needed any replacement parts.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-21-2017, 04:25 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottoms-Up View Post

Chain install - Amazon $85.00

Aw shit I hate that fuckin tool... I mean really detest it. It's a sturdy enough tool, but awkward to use compared to most chain tools on the market

It ranks up there with EBC HH Brake Pads, the only people that actually like them are the ones that haven't used anything else and don't know any better
CanyonCarver likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.