Gen 4: 2011-2015 Cat removal with K&N airfilter - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-18-2017, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Question Cat removal with K&N airfilter

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a 2011 Gen 4 and I am stoked to remove the cat underneath this bike. I currently have a leovince SBK titanium slip on and just bought a Laser midpipe.

My question would be, how harmfull could would it be to replace the cat with the midpipe without finetuning with e.g. PC? Would it damage the engine? The idea is to buy a PC in the beginning of next year due to my extreme incapabilities to save money....

I have been scavenging the internet for information but whatever I could find was quite different from each other answer. I know that each bike is different no matter what but the main question would be: If the bike wouldn't run as optimal as possible, would it harm the engine to wait a couple of months for fine tuning?

Thanks everyone!

Greetings from the Netherlands
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170715_125124.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	405673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0675.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	405689  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-19-2017, 11:12 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Welcome to the green side!

Does the laser pipe have a bung to retain the stock o2 sensor?

I don`t have any experience tuning the gen 4 but I have on other gen`s.
I know other people here have gen 4 tuning experience, so maybe they will chime in with more accurate advice regarding your config.

But I suggest to:
1. Wait. Depending on how you ride you will probably not do any damage, but it will certainly not run optimal. Looking at a few dynojet maps for a similar config as yours, you will be maybe 10-15% too lean in some medium-high load areas. This will probably put you above 14:1 afr and beyond what is "fine tuning". Now, the dynojet maps are more than likely not correct, but they do give a pointer when a couple of them more or less correlate.

2. As this is a 2011, skip the powercommander and get it tuned at a shop which has a dyno and the possibility of editing maps directly in the ECU. You can tune more things than just fuel. But don`t expect the massive gains the US bikes get from a flash, yours is not restricted. In Norway you can get this done for a little more than the price of only the PCV hardware. Do some research of shops in the Netherlands.

If you like to tinker yourself and have some engine understanding, you can get a Woolich log box kit with a wideband o2 sensor and tune/flash yourself.
romanovalentin likes this.

I`m just in for the ride
post #3 of 15 Old 10-19-2017, 12:01 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
It's fine.. no issues at all with damage concerns. You'll pick up some power and it'll be louder. It will be even better after you tune it.

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R

post #4 of 15 Old 10-19-2017, 01:25 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Hello Netherlands! I miss that place every day, especially Amsterdam! ...especially the Red Light Dist.! ...especially the...ok ill shut up now!

I rode with a slip on for about a year before getting a PCIII. Wouldnt worry much with just a slip on. Im sure you'll be happier with the midpipe in instead of the cat.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

Every fortress falls, it is not the end. It aint if you fall, its how you rise that says who you really are.
- QOTSA
post #5 of 15 Old 10-20-2017, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post

I know other people here have gen 4 tuning experience, so maybe they will chime in with more accurate advice regarding your config.

But I suggest to:
1. Wait. Depending on how you ride you will probably not do any damage, but it will certainly not run optimal. Looking at a few dynojet maps for a similar config as yours, you will be maybe 10-15% too lean in some medium-high load areas. This will probably put you above 14:1 afr and beyond what is "fine tuning". Now, the dynojet maps are more than likely not correct, but they do give a pointer when a couple of them more or less correlate.

2. As this is a 2011, skip the powercommander and get it tuned at a shop which has a dyno and the possibility of editing maps directly in the ECU. You can tune more things than just fuel. But don`t expect the massive gains the US bikes get from a flash, yours is not restricted. In Norway you can get this done for a little more than the price of only the PCV hardware. Do some research of shops in the Netherlands.

If you like to tinker yourself and have some engine understanding, you can get a Woolich log box kit with a wideband o2 sensor and tune/flash yourself.

Great! Thanks! Well, the midpipe has a hole for the lambda sensor, only it is made for a racing sensor, therefore i had to buy an adapter! Yesterday I put on the midpipe! Will be uploading a vid in a minute if that's possible on the forum. I love this forum already!

Thank you very much for the info!
post #6 of 15 Old 10-20-2017, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:

But I suggest to:

Thank you for the information! I will look into the shops.
There is a place for the lambda sensor in the midpipe, however, the hole is too big and only fits a racing sensor. Therefore i had to buy an adapter for the stock sensor, but it fits!

Yesterday I replaced the cat for the midpipe and the result in sound is amazing! I will upload a vid if that's possible on the forum!
post #7 of 15 Old 10-20-2017, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victors View Post
It's fine.. no issues at all with damage concerns. You'll pick up some power and it'll be louder. It will be even better after you tune it.
Great! Yesterday I replaced the cat. Now i got to save for the tuning part and i will be picking up a K&N filter upcoming saturday!
post #8 of 15 Old 10-20-2017, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:

But I suggest to:

Thanks for all the information! I guess I'll just find a shop to help me tuning the bike next year. Yesterday I replaced the cat for the midpipe. There is a place for the lambda sensor in the midpipe but I had to use an adapter to make it fit. Could you tell me what the reason would be to skip the powercommander?
post #9 of 15 Old 10-20-2017, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx View Post
Hello Netherlands! I miss that place every day, especially Amsterdam! ...especially the Red Light Dist.! ...especially the...ok ill shut up now!

I rode with a slip on for about a year before getting a PCIII. Wouldnt worry much with just a slip on. Im sure you'll be happier with the midpipe in instead of the cat.
Hello somewhere else than the Netherlands!

The Netherlands is great! Except for the amount you have to pay for speeding fines.... Those amounts are insane.

Yesterday I replaced the cat... Oh lord that sound is amazing!
post #10 of 15 Old 10-20-2017, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

There is only one little problem guys....

I tightened the straps around the joints but there is a small amount of air leaking and I have no idea how that would be possible. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Unfortunately It isn't possible to add .mp4 files, how am I ever going to be able to show you guys the vid?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171019_211226.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	405697  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cat, midpipe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.