• 1 Post By Porschenut
  • 1 Post By gaz
  • 2 Post By michael4012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-27-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Carpenters Heavy Duty Valve Springs

ok so im split between needing to get heavy duty valve springs or not. i have one person telling me i need them and another saying stock one will work just find. Im putting JE drop in pistons in my 2008 zx10r and my compression is going from 12.9:1 to 13.7:1. so ive been told i need heavy duty springs by one person and i dont need them by another. i dont want to spend the money if i dont have too. can you guys help me out with this plz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-27-2018, 04:37 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I thought that heavy duty valve springs were required to eliminate valve float when increasing rev limits or changing a cam lobe profile?

How would increased compression cause the valves to stay open?
SkyDork likes this.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!

Last edited by Porschenut; 04-28-2018 at 10:57 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-27-2018, 04:45 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
I thought that heavy duty valve springs were required to eliminate valve float when increasing rev limits or changing a cam lob profile?

How would increased compression cause the valves to stay open?

The springs are used to close the valves. The compression force will try to close the valves. So increased the combustion pressure will cause the valves to close tighter. Putting heavier springs in there to do the same thing is pretty useless if that's the only change. If the cams are modified, revs are increase, or forced air induction is used then the springs might be needed. Valve float is your enemy there.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #4 of 10 Old 04-27-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

ok kool so sounds like i dont them great more money for other parts for this build Thanks
post #5 of 10 Old 04-27-2018, 07:20 PM
gaz
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

i've yet to see a drop in piston zx10 run any faster than a stk piston with compression mods. i've had 2 customers bikes, not my choice, not impressed. no need for hd valve springs as carpenters unless radical cam profile, forced induction, or nitrous.
Kawasakigreen2008 likes this.

Last edited by gaz; 04-27-2018 at 08:45 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-27-2018, 10:50 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Needlessly using HD springs will Zap a Horse Power or 2. Carpenter will sell you anything, As stated unless radical changes to cam profile ie, where valves close faster due to increased lift or longer duration HD springs just make it harder to turn the engine.
gaz and Kawasakigreen2008 like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]192MPH stock engined 2008
post #7 of 10 Old 04-28-2018, 08:58 AM
gaz
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

my experience with drop in pistons is they are a waste of money. cost of pistons, engine has to be pulled, broken completley down, rods removed from crank, reinstalled(which is a whole new process),
cylinders honed, engine reassembled and reinstalled, figure about $1500+ besides the rod/crank issues created. not aware of any 13.7 je pistons, just 13.5. can easily achieve that with mill and adjusted squish for about $150. if ur a street rider, be aware any compression mods increase engine temps so how and where u ride should be a primary consideration. thin hg, good performance valve job, int. cam or degreed stk. cams, good exhaust, and tune, that gen 3 will be streetable and a handful.

Last edited by gaz; 04-28-2018 at 09:50 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-09-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Well gaz this is my plan, i was trying to do a budget build with my gen3 and this is what me and my buddy came up with

-Lighten & balanced crank, 13:7.1 wossner drop-in pistons (NOT JE MY MISTAKE), Complete valve job, gen3 racing intake cam and gen2 stock exhaust cam degreed with a retune.

ive only spent about $1100 just from that list but i was at 166rwhp with just bolt-on parts, im hoping to be close to 175- 180. My biggest problem is i cant find any solid degree number for that cam combination. and now that you say that i should have gained my compression the head with
milling and thinner head gasket.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-09-2018, 04:18 PM
gaz
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

not knocking ur build, just trying to help. have'nt delt with wossners in a zx10, but have worked with je's and wiseco. check ur deck height closley, the je and wiseco pistons both have raised compression height tightening up the squish, so u have to measure and determine which thickness hg will work to provide minimium squish without piston to head contact. gen 3 race int, stk gen 1-gen 2 ex cam is a potent combo. my cam combo and used on a couple of other builds. degreed those cams to several different lobe centers, by far 110-111 int and 108 ex. made best power/strogest powerband. well prepped head, those cams, good tune i make 189-193 rwhp on mr12, so figure about 180-185 on pump gas. your goals are in line. good luck with build.

Last edited by gaz; 05-09-2018 at 04:37 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-10-2018, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Ya i previously had a .45mm HG on there but with the 13.7:1 pistons that are going in, im alittle worried about putting the .45mm HG back in. (if it even fits). I dont want to have to run race gas because of too much compression. But all in all we are going to double/triple check the piston to valve clearance, cuz i would hate to spend all this money just to blow it up when i start it. And thanks for the cam numbers, ive been wrecking my brain trying to find a starting point. thanks for the info keep it coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in