• 1 Post By SkyDork

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-17-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Can you identify this connector?

Hey everyone!
I picked up my first “liter bike” two days ago. 2006 ZX10R and I wish I could convince myself to take a week off from work just so I could go ride it more.

I was peaking around under the fairings (without removing anything yet) and I saw a white, two wire connector that is not plugged into anything that raised a little concern.

Looking through the right side front fairing, under the tank but above the engine, there is a white connector with one solid red and one white with red stripe wire. Everything seems to be working as normal.

I looked up the wiring diagram and saw the following items that have that combination of wires.
-igniter unit
-high beam relay
-fuel pump relay
-#1 coil pack

The starts perfect and runs smooth without a noticeable misfire, so I could eliminate the igniter unit, fuel pump relay, and coil pack I would think.

The high beam works as normal so I could eliminate that.

I’m sure I’m missing something here. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Pictures for reference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7DFFDF8-4EC9-417B-8545-E03D3929DE68_1526593610663.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	416802   Click image for larger version

Name:	8933010A-3218-45F9-8E65-683E49F5443A_1526593629030.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	416810   Click image for larger version

Name:	533F07C2-9160-4E40-B406-911CDC52D6F0_1526593647824.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	416818  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-17-2018, 05:29 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

See my attached picture, I don’t know why it rotated the picture.
I think that’s the “pair valve” right on top of the valve cover. Very easy to get to and plug back in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA2CEF33-03E6-465F-8CA2-9C9156552578.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	416826  
SkyDork likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-18-2018, 08:48 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
First things first. I've attached and corrected NinjaLife's picture here for reference below.

He's right in the fact that it's the connector for the air valve. He's wrong in using the PAIR terminology though. That's a Suzuki term. On the Kawasaki's, it's refereed to as the KLEEN valve - Kawasaki Low-Emission ENvironmental control. It's essentially the same thing and just named differently between manufacturers. The more general acronym is AIS - Air Injection System.

The valve itself sits on top of the valve cover. A lot of people disconnect it and use block-off plates on the valve cover to seal the system. Having the connector loose may be correct if that's been done already. That typically throws an FI warning though. Not on the Gen 2 however as there is no feedback for it. Having it dangle around is not a good idea. You'll need to pull the tank and inspect what mods have been done to that system. If the valve is still there, plug the connector back in. If it's been removed, tie the connector back up and out of the way to keep it from dangling and damaging other parts.

NinjaLife has it correct though and you should use his pic as a reference on it!
Attached Images

NinjaLife likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Last edited by SkyDork; 05-18-2018 at 09:19 AM.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-18-2018, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaLife View Post
See my attached picture, I don’t know why it rotated the picture.
I think that’s the “pair valve” right on top of the valve cover. Very easy to get to and plug back in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
First things first. I've attached and corrected NinjaLife's picture here for reference below.

He's right in the fact that it's the connector for the air valve. He's wrong in using the PAIR terminology though. That's a Suzuki term. [IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/headshake.gif[/IMG] On the Kawasaki's, it's refereed to as the KLEEN valve - Kawasaki Low-Emission ENvironmental control. <a href="http://Zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/icon_wink.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Wink" >:-)</a> It's essentially the same thing and just named differently between manufacturers. The more general acronym is AIS - Air Injection System. <a href="http://Zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/badteeth.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Badteeth" >:-)</a>

The valve itself sits on top of the valve cover. A lot of people disconnect it and use block-off plates on the valve cover to seal the system. Having the connector loose may be correct if that's been done already. That typically throws an FI warning though. Not on the Gen 2 however as there is no feedback for it. Having it dangle around is not a good idea. You'll need to pull the tank and inspect what mods have been done to that system. If the valve is still there, plug the connector back in. If it's been removed, tie the connector back up and out of the way to keep it from dangling and damaging other parts.

NinjaLife has it correct though and you should use his pic as a reference on it!
Thanks for the quick responses! Now that the weekend is finally here, I’ll be pulling the tank to confirm if it’s been blocked off or not.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-18-2018, 09:27 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Man, now im gonna have to go home and look at mine tonight because i could swear i jumper'ed that plug with something like a paperclip and electric taped it all up, probly zip tied to something. Pretty sure thats what i did after disabling the KLEEN system (no block offs - re-route to reed valves). Been a while since i did that mod. Best color for a Kawi, looks like mine.

Live Til You Die - QOTSA

We will all die but only a select few of us will ever truly live.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-18-2018, 10:07 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx View Post
Man, now im gonna have to go home and look at mine tonight because i could swear i jumper'ed that plug with something like a paperclip and electric taped it all up, probly zip tied to something. Pretty sure thats what i did after disabling the KLEEN system (no block offs - re-route to reed valves). Been a while since i did that mod. Best color for a Kawi, looks like mine.
It's been awhile since I've had my Gen 2. From what I remember, the plug was jumpered back then by a lot of people. I don't see any service codes tied to that in the manual however, which would imply that it can just be disconnected. Won't hurt it to jumper the plug though.

Block-off plates are a clean way of removing the system, but connecting the ports together is the same thing functionally.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #7 of 10 Old 05-18-2018, 11:09 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
when i installed my block off. i beleive that connector was just left unplugged.

ride or die!::weed :
post #8 of 10 Old 05-18-2018, 07:31 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Gen 2's dont need the jumper, Gens 3 do or you get a code. I have no idea about Gens 4,5.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-19-2018, 11:40 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Correct, mine is unplugged, no jumper, no code.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 Old 05-20-2018, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Pull some plastics this weekend and confirmed that is meant to be unplugged since it has the block off. Zip tied out of the way. Thanks again everyone for the knowledge!

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in